News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 942     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Put me squarely in the "undecided" category - I'm patiently awaiting the anti-Ford saviour. Whoever is in second place behind Ford on election day (assuming Ford remains in first place) will automatically be getting my vote.

On a related note, I bet all you guys who clamoured for a strong mayor system in Toronto are probably relieved right now that we didn't get it! Think of the damage that could be done under the mayorship of a complete imbecile like Ford if that were the case. If Ford wins and I were Dalton McGuinty, I'd try to find a way to suspend the City of Toronto Act for the next 4+ years, or at the very least expedite construction on the first 3 Transit City lines in multiple, un-connected locations so that they'll be impossible to stop.

Last edited:
The real Code Red Nightmare Scenario is Mayor Ford, Premier Hudak and PM Harper with a Majority. Here's to our city's slow descent into the lake. ("Liberal Toronto Elites Want To Use YOUR tax dollars to pay for a sole-sourced contract that they say will prevent Toronto from sliding into the lake.")

Put me squarely in the "undecided" category - I'm patiently awaiting the anti-Ford saviour. Whoever is in second place behind Ford on election day (assuming Ford remains in first place) will automatically be getting my vote.

That's pretty much my strategy too. Whoever is in the best position to defeat Ford, gets my vote.

I may be grasping at straws here but maybe the anti-Ford contingent might show up in larger than normal numbers, while the Ford horde, believing that he has this one in the bag, might not go out of their way to vote. I'm not sure how much of a difference it might make but I have to have some hope.

De-amalgamation is looking ever more logical. There's just no way that a councillor who's spent his whole life and career hiding in the wilds of generic suburbia should be calling the shots downtown and the pre-war city in general. They're two completely different animals with different needs, and it just doesn't make any sense. Scarborough, North York, and Etobicoke still have several decades of maturing and densifying to undergo before they are more in line with the real Toronto, and the city's politics should reflect that.

De-amalgamation is looking ever more logical. There's just no way that a councillor who's spent his whole life and career hiding in the wilds of generic suburbia should be calling the shots downtown and the pre-war city in general. They're two completely different animals with different needs, and it just doesn't make any sense. Scarborough, North York, and Etobicoke still have several decades of maturing and densifying to undergo before they are more in line with the real Toronto, and the city's politics should reflect that.

Yes, or at least the implementation of a borough system.

There's an article on the front page of the GT section in Toronto with very prominent graphics showing the transit plans of each candidate.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontomayoralrace/article/863478 - though the graphics aren't as prominent as they are on the front of the paper.

What's bizarre is that they show Pantalone cancelling the Spadina subway extension, and Smitherman building a subway along Finch West from Finch to Finch West station; as well as extending the Bloor subway past Sherway Gardens into Mississauga.

I know the Star is pro-Smitherman and anti-Pantalone, but I'm really surprised that they would resort to falsifying their stories.

It's still far too early to call this race, notably Ford and Pantalone have not started their advertising campaigns. Commercials do have a huge effect, especially at the municipal level where most people do not have long held preferences.

If you want an alternative to Ford presented to voters, my suggestion is that you donate to his opponents. Especially Joe Pantalone. I might be biased as a Joe partisan, but he's running on a positive, city-building platform, and with his advertising will be directly standing up to Ford. I also know that any money Joe raises from now on is going directly into media.

The city has a very generous rebate program. If you donate $300 you get $225 back. Three hundred can buy a couple television commercials, some radio spots, or thousands of flyers, and it only costs you $75. Sacrificing 75 bucks isn't much if it helps prevent Ford.

You can donate to Joe at mayorjoe.ca.

To be non-partisan you could also donate to Smitherman here and Thomson here. (I won't link to Rossi, who is both dead in the water and trying to be a Ford clone himself)

Wow... the media sure turned their allegiances pretty fast. Since the new poll put Rob Ford on what looks like an unstoppable roll into the Mayors office, newspapers have quieted the rhetoric against him and seem to be just about calling him "Your worship".

The fact that they're talking about him like he already won could have one of two very opposite reactions:

a) People wake up and roll up their sleeves to prevent it from happening
b) People like to back a winning horse and simply stop paying attention

I have a feeling the latter is most likely and Ford's popularity will only grow.

I think Ford's hit his ceiling finally. Unfortunately, it's high enough to easily sweep him to victory.

I'm also concerned about some NDP'ers I've talked to who have said they'd rather see Ford in office than to give Smitherman a single extra vote. Unfortunately, I think party politics are trumping sanity in these cases, but it could be an issue come voting day is Smitherman is still clearly in second place (which I think he will be).

Back