News   Jul 17, 2024
 41     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 697     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 608     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

It's not a bad campaign move, honestly. The Star will still report about him (they're obligated to, really - it'd be bad journalism otherwise) but he can spin any negative articles as just sour grapes liberal media blah blah blah.

TheStar will still report on him because he's the front runner, but they won't receive official statements from him and he won't answer any of their questions. The Star can theoretically make that hurt him by stating that "Rob Ford refused to comment". Readers who see that over and over will think he has something to hide and he'll appear elitist which will hurt his "regular guy" image.

Also, he won't be releasing official statements via TheStar and in theory would also not be buying any advertising in their paper. He'll fail to reach a very large voter base if he does that.

Last edited:
But do the Star's readers actually know how to read?
I don't get it ...

Well, let's see. Looks like they've just accused Rob Ford of both theft and fraud.

Ford in fresh trouble
Mayoral candidate Rob Ford is in trouble again, this time with Toronto’s integrity commissioner slamming the Etobicoke councillor for “improper use of influence” in soliciting donations for his football charity. ...

Ford knew that this report was being released, when he made his statement about cutting off access to the Star. I'm guessing he did so in order to try and change the story from Ford stealing, to the Toronto Star is a bully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who will the lower candidates endorse if they drop out?

With just about 2 months left until election day, I think it'll soon be time for the candidates at the bottom of the polls to begin thinking of cutting their losses and dropping out.

Considering the order of the most recent polls, we can expect Rocco Rossi to conclude that he can't recover from his single digits. Sarah Thomson's campaign lacks organization and polish so unless she turns things around, she'll be stuck in the low teens.

Assuming that these candidates would drop out at some point, who do you think each of them would rally behind?

If the race came down to Ford, Smitherman, and Pantalone, I think that both Rossi and Thomson would endorse Smitherman and leave with parting shots at Ford, asking Toronto to prevent him from becoming Mayor by electing Smitherman.

With the perceived front runners having to drop out ... first Giambrone, and now Ford ... then if I was running 3rd or 4th, I might just stick around to see if I'm the last person standing.

It's not an unreasonable assumption that once Ford is gone (or at least fallen from grace), that there skeletons in Smitherman's or Pantalone's closest that might surface.

With the perceived front runners having to drop out ... first Giambrone, and now Ford ... then if I was running 3rd or 4th, I might just stick around to see if I'm the last person standing.

It's not an unreasonable assumption that once Ford is gone (or at least fallen from grace), that there skeletons in Smitherman's or Pantalone's closest that might surface.

There are 34 candidates running for mayor of Toronto. See the up-to-date list at this link. Wonder what skeletons we'll find if we dig into the past each of them?

Or should we get the Inquisition to look into each of them.

Because I can't stand him. I matter. :p

I want Thomson to win. RF is always tons of fun too.

Smitherman? I believe Liberals are the worst creatures on Earth.
Uh ... you hate centrists? I can understand disliking Smitherman personally ... he has many poor character traits ... But centrists? My gosh what about leftists? Or Conservatives, with their bigotry.

Ford is fun ... sure. But surely no one really thinks he would have the qualities to make a good mayor.

True. I guess if a candidate has raised enough donations to keep them going until near to election day, they might as well stay in and hope that the tide turns in their favour.

At this point in 2003, Barbara Hall was way ahead, the race hers to lose. Then the public started tuning in to the debates and John Laschinger's brilliance made a little known councillor with "great hair" the new Mayor of Toronto. I have faith that the candidates with policy in tune with the majority of Torontonians will begin to stand out. Thomson seems to fit the role. She's been under covered and under estimated by the media. It's possible that Miller's story will be repeated again.

Great Hair? That's so 2003. "2010: Thomson. Great legs." :)

Back