NEXT at Elgin East (Sequoia Grove Homes) - Real Estate

Has anyone recieved word from their lawyer on monthly occupancy fees amount? My lawyer informed me today that it would be around $4500 monthly. That's pretty steep! I've written to the builder asking for a breakdown of this amount but have not received word yet.

Anyone else heard anything?

Good evening Antonius, yes we are level 1 neighbours😃! Thank you for sharing your findings. I will be sharing mines this Friday and I will take pictures for sure.

Good evening Antonius, yes we are level 1 neighbours😃! Thank you for sharing your findings. I will be sharing mines this Friday and I will take pictures for sure.
Thank you Joyce, and yes, we would like to learn from your observation and findings as well.

Regards,

Antonius

Has anyone recieved word from their lawyer on monthly occupancy fees amount? My lawyer informed me today that it would be around $4500 monthly. That's pretty steep! I've written to the builder asking for a breakdown of this amount but have not received word yet.

Thank you for sharing this estimated amount. It's shocking, especially since we don't know how what they call it "interest from the remaining amount that we haven't paid in full" is calculated. Moreover, the delay of us in paying them in full is not according to our choice or action.

Thank you Joyce, and yes, we would like to learn from your observation and findings as well.

Regards,

Antonius
I guess this is a question for both you and David, are you both overall happy with the finishing on your units?

I guess this is a question for both you and David, are you both overall happy with the finishing on your units?
If we purely look at the results, without assuming or rationalizing that maybe they are in a rush doing PDI, because they want to give impression that they are not very late, then my wife and I are not happy at all. What we caught were very obvious and many of them, ranging from simple things to fix all the way to "we don't even know how those could be fixed". This is not even including the island matter that I shared yesterday.

For the island, technically, if they are willing to rebuild according to our expectation (our expactation is based on the photos from Sequoia Decor Centre), that would be easy to solve.

However, the thing that's hard to imagine how it can be fixed, for example is like the even-ness of the cabinets starting from the fridge, stove, dishwasher, then going up to the upper cabinets, across to the left, then back to the fridge. It's hard to explain in writing. Basically this is beyond just adjusting the doors. It's more like during contructing the depth of of the cabinets, including the surfaces (fridge, lower cabinets/drawers, stove, dishwasher, upper cabinets), there was incorrect calculation of the depth measurement.

So, it's not about depth difference between cabinets and dishwasher, or cabinet and the fridge, but the whole left toward middle portion with the right toward upper portion of that whole part (cabinet + appliances part) of the kitchen.

If we purely look at the results, without assuming or rationalizing that maybe they are in a rush doing PDI, because they want to give impression that they are not very late, then my wife and I are not happy at all. What we caught were very obvious and many of them, ranging from simple things to fix all the way to "we don't even know how those could be fixed". This is not even including the island matter that I shared yesterday.

For the island, technically, if they are willing to rebuild according to our expectation (our expactation is based on the photos from Sequoia Decor Centre), that would be easy to solve.

However, the thing that's hard to imagine how it can be fixed, for example is like the even-ness of the cabinets starting from the fridge, stove, dishwasher, then going up to the upper cabinets, across to the left, then back to the fridge. It's hard to explain in writing. Basically this is beyond just adjusting the doors. It's more like during contructing the depth of of the cabinets, including the surfaces (fridge, lower cabinets/drawers, stove, dishwasher, upper cabinets), there was incorrect calculation of the depth measurement.

So, it's not about depth difference between cabinets and dishwasher, or cabinet and the fridge, but the whole left toward middle portion with the right toward upper portion of that whole part (cabinet + appliances part) of the kitchen.
I have a good friend who does a lot of PDI as part of her job and she has mentioned this type of issues to me over and over again. I'm afraid a lot of companies are using labors that is cheaper and likely contracts for months on end instead of people in the trade.

I have a good friend who does a lot of PDI as part of her job and she has mentioned this type of issues to me over and over again. I'm afraid a lot of companies are using labors that is cheaper and likely contracts for months on end instead of people in the trade.
OK, yes, that make sense, because I know that highly skilled trade professionals are extremely scarce nowadays.

Our unit is on the 7th floor. We just got word from the builder yesterday that our occupancy date is now Feb 8 but the builder hasn’t contacted our lawyer yet. I agree that $4500 is a lot and I’d hope that the builder would provide a breakdown in the papers going to the lawyer since there seems to be a lot of other fees mentioned in the purchase agreement that are payable upon occupancy.

Personally I’m surprised that easy things like doing grout and caulking were missing or done improperly. I was also surprised at the number of dings and dents in the walls that were noted in our PDI. All of these were noted down by the builder rep before we even got there. It looked like they were rushing to finish and/or that the workers weren’t very good. We didn’t notice the kinds of flaws that Antonius saw with the kitchen cupboards in his unit. However we aren’t very observant.
So I’d say we are kind of neutral at the moment in terms of satisfaction but kind of worried about how things will look when we finally get occupancy.

Our unit is on the 7th floor. We just got word from the builder yesterday that our occupancy date is now Feb 8 but the builder hasn’t contacted our lawyer yet. I agree that $4500 is a lot and I’d hope that the builder would provide a breakdown in the papers going to the lawyer since there seems to be a lot of other fees mentioned in the purchase agreement that are payable upon occupancy.
If we are speaking about 600k as a balance and the interest rate at 7%, then the 4.5k monthly seems about right.

Personally I’m surprised that easy things like doing grout and caulking were missing or done improperly. I was also surprised at the number of dings and dents in the walls that were noted in our PDI. All of these were noted down by the builder rep before we even got there. It looked like they were rushing to finish and/or that the workers weren’t very good. We didn’t notice the kinds of flaws that Antonius saw with the kitchen cupboards in his unit. However we aren’t very observant.
So I’d say we are kind of neutral at the moment in terms of satisfaction but kind of worried about how things will look when we finally get occupancy.
Thanks David. I’m going to get 2 coffees in me and I’ll be on high alert then. It can be overwhelming to check everything but I’ll be sure to report back.

How was it Joyce? :)
Hello 👋 there,
Well, I must agree with all your comments, from the white plain door to all list of small imperfections to more major errors. I will begin from the start, so my appointment was 9am today, met with Mike a young grad no more than 23yrs old I think. He was very nice like the rep you guys had, Nick was it? Mike, unfortunately does not know about all the features of the unit so I guess I will have to learn myself down the road but I think he went through the most important ones.
We did go through the main entrance and it is very much under construction still. I have to apologize to David, I said I would remember to take pictures and I took Zero today. My family member did of my unit but not exterior. I do not think it is any much closer to being done than back in December because I imagine that with holidays, very little was done.
Since I too am on the ground floor and further back to the south end, we kept walking and I see what you mean about the white door being very plain. The frame around the entrance currently has a black spray paint which I think could be done better as well, like the door choice. I kept thinking about your comment and I would have to very much agree with you.
From the sounds of your inspection and David’s, I think the caulkings missing, dents, chips and the list goes on, we are all experiencing the same things. I particularly had an issue with the fact that the power went off half way and it never did came back on. The only thing that saved me was that I had in fact brought a small flashlight with me so I hope I went through seeing all the fix ups that are needed.
I have a question for you guys regarding the shower door, my agreement says enclosed glass door for the tub so I reached out to the customer service group. Did you guys as well? Sorry, I am just jumping trying to remember everything to share.
Again, I will agree about the comments regarding the homes purchased 30, 20 or 15 years ago, they would never had this many imperfections. I will get a lot of hate for this but these workers are not the same professional tradesman and likely only fitted for general labour and not tradesman as a careers and will never carry the same pride to this craft. I think I will likely need to learn how to fix up things in the near future as all the imperfections will likely not be done.
I will leave on a positive note, I am glad about the patio space and privacy barrier. I was a little surprised that the fence does not have a gate to walk out to the road. I do not mind since the sliding door only locks from the inside anyways. Right in front of me were workers moving top soil in the middle of winter so I thought that was a little odd. Speeding for the landscaping I guess.
I look forward to meeting everyone and please keep each other with updates. 👋☺️

Back