News   Apr 24, 2024
 958     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Canadian Retailer ‘Boathouse’ Leasing Former Le Chateau Stores for Significant Expansion

March 23, 2021

St. Catharines, Ontario-based Boathouse, a retailer of men’s and women’s clothing, footwear, and accessories, is expanding its footprint across Canada seeking out retail spaces recently vacated by Le Chateau.

Janet Weatherhead, Director of Sales and Operations for Boathouse/Blackwell Supply Company, said the company is picking up a selection of Le Chateau locations in Canada.

“They’re going to do well for us because they’re large. Most of the locations are over 6,000 square feet with the biggest one being at the Kingsway Mall in Edmonton which is close to 8,000 square feet,” said Weatherhead.

“So we can really showcase our brands well in that space and we do carry an extensive shoe selection. The more square footage we have, the more we can showcase our shoes as well.”

Boathouse has committed to the following former Le Chateau locations: Mayfair, Victoria; Scarborough Town Centre, Toronto; Fairview Park Mall, Kitchener; Kingsway Mall, Edmonton; Gatineau; Fairview Point Claire; Promenade St Bruno; Southgate Mall, Edmonton; Carrefour Laval, and Galeries d’Anjou, Montreal.

it could have been the self-serve furniture area!
Would be a great place to stick all the kitchen ware ... and food. Perhaps even an Ikea restaurant!

Still great news! I used to love the Ikea that used to be in downtown Montreal (in Alexis Nihon); I could never understand why they closed it when they opened the one in suburbia.

Would be a great place to stick all the kitchen ware ... and food. Perhaps even an Ikea restaurant!

Still great news! I used to love the Ikea that used to be in downtown Montreal (in Alexis Nihon); I could never understand why they closed it when they opened the one in suburbia.
There were rumours that Ikea would come to Place Bonaventure, as they renovated to get a big box store. No idea yet of who will be the main anchor.

Last edited:
Hopefully Ikea will open up that dead zone of a corner. It's too bad that they can't just demolish the "Shops at Aura" basement and take it over as well - it could have been the self-serve furniture area!
As discussed in the Aura thread, there is probably no other player more willing to assemble all those condo retail units than Ikea. If it is going to ever happen, Ikea is probably the one to do it.

As discussed in the Aura thread, there is probably no other player more willing to assemble all those condo retail units than Ikea. If it is going to ever happen, Ikea is probably the one to do it.

Yes, but they probably figure it's not worth the trouble. Even if they got all the retail condo units to sell, they would have to arrange for loading docks, elevators, customer parking areas, etc. Or they could just make more money getting downtown customers to pay for shipping.

It's a lot easier to operate this new location as a glorified showroom.

Reactions: DSC
Yes, but they probably figure it's not worth the trouble. Even if they got all the retail condo units to sell, they would have to arrange for loading docks, elevators, customer parking areas, etc. Or they could just make more money getting downtown customers to pay for shipping.

It's a lot easier to operate this new location as a glorified showroom.

As I said elsewhere that is what Leons did at the Roundhouse. They did not have storage or pickup capacity and as a result that particular location was nothing more than a showroom.

Most furniture stores downtown are delivery only.

As I said elsewhere that is what Leons did at the Roundhouse. They did not have storage or pickup capacity and as a result that particular location was nothing more than a showroom.

Most furniture stores downtown are delivery only.

I thought all Leon's stores were just showrooms. I've never purchased anything from them but I don't recall ever seeing anyone moving furniture into a vehicle like you see at the regular IKEA stores.

I thought all Leon's stores were just showrooms. I've never purchased anything from them but I don't recall ever seeing anyone moving furniture into a vehicle like you see at the regular IKEA stores.

No, most Leons are full warehouses.

The DT store is one of the exceptions.

Back