News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 711     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

News from across Europe

Beginning next week, Bavaria will implement a face mask requirement for all people in most public places including shopping and using public transit. They are the third German state to make this announcement.

Coronavirus: France mandates masks for schools and transport

France will make face masks compulsory on public transport and in secondary schools when it starts easing its coronavirus lockdown on 11 May, Prime Minister Edouard Philippe has said.

Schools will reopen gradually, starting with kindergartens and primary schools.

Pupils aged 11-15 will be expected to wear face masks.

It comes as hard-hit Spain also outlined its lockdown exit plan, aiming for what its prime minister called "a new normality" by the end of June.

Germany braces for 'worst recession' in post-war history

29 April 2020

The German economy will suffer the biggest slump in its history this year over the coronavirus crisis, the government warned Wednesday, pushing Europe's top economy into a painful recession.

German gross domestic product (GDP) is expected to shrink by a record 6.3 percent as demand for exports plummets and lockdown restrictions weigh on domestic consumption, Economy Minister Peter Altmaier said in Berlin.

"We will experience the worst recession in the history of the federal republic" founded in 1949, Altmaier said.

"The effects of the coronavirus pandemic will push our economy into a recession after 10 years of growth."

Coronavirus: The lure of mafia money during the crisis

5 May 2020

As the Covid-19 death toll grows, Italy's organised crime gangs have been looking to make millions. Many Italians feel they have no option but to accept the lifeline the mob is offering.

Coronavirus: EU urges closing external borders until mid-June

The European Commission has called on EU member states to uphold travel bans on non-essential travel to the bloc. EU officials also said priority must be given to restoring frictionless travel within the bloc.

The European Commission on Friday recommended extending travel restrictions for non-EU nationals at the bloc's external borders until June 15, saying "the situation remains fragile both in Europe and worldwide."

Coronavirus: EU urges closing external borders until mid-June

The European Commission has called on EU member states to uphold travel bans on non-essential travel to the bloc. EU officials also said priority must be given to restoring frictionless travel within the bloc.

The European Commission on Friday recommended extending travel restrictions for non-EU nationals at the bloc's external borders until June 15, saying "the situation remains fragile both in Europe and worldwide."

This is why I'm glad I'm an EU citizen. I can travel there (provided planes start flying again) without much hindrance. Not saying it's ideal but technically I would be able to vacation in Europe this summer.

I'm an EU citizen as well and I'm not going near the place for years. Not because of plague, but the plague doesn't help.

Flights in economy were shit enough without having to wear a mask, for example.

I'm holding off international air travel until mid-2021 at earliest. Even domestic for that matter. Too much uncertainty with recurring waves as well as we move towards autumn and winter.

I'm not in a hurry to go anywhere. Gonna stick to nearby small roadtrips once things stabilize, and save up for a future vacation budget.

Germany to spend €750 million on coronavirus vaccine

The German government has agreed a funding program of three-quarters of a billion euros on the development and distribution of a coronavirus vaccine. Researchers hope large-scale trials will help speed up the process.

Germany agreed Monday to spend €750 million ($812 million) on a program to develop and distribute vaccines, Research Minister Anja Karliczek announced.

Around half a billion euros will go towards extending the trial capacities in Germany, and the rest of the money to developing production capacity. The announcement comes following a cabinet meeting led by Chancellor Angela Merkel.

"As soon as a vaccine is found and approved, production must be able to start quickly on a large scale both here in Germany and worldwide," Karliczek said. She called vaccine development the "key" to returning to normal life.

Portugal pins economic hopes on early reopening of tourism

With about 30 million tourists visiting Portugal every year, the sector is of huge importance for jobs and economic growth. Despite coronavirus fears, authorities are planning to reopen hotels and beaches by mid-June.

Back