News   Apr 26, 2024
 487     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 204     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 672     0 

News from across Europe

Hanau attack part of pattern of white supremacist violence flowing from US

Experts in global extremism say gunman’s comments on his website paralleled several recent conspiracies popular with American far-right

Lois Beckett
Fri 21 Feb 2020 06.51 GMT

Germany: Merkel's party to decide successor 'in April or May,' say reports

Germany's Christian Democrats will pick the successor to Chancellor Angela Merkel at a party congress that will be held before or around the start of May, according to local reports.

Germany: Injury toll rises in carnival attack

Dozens of people were hurt when a man ploughed his car through a crowd during carnival festivities in the western German town of Volkmarsen. Authorities are set to question the 29-year-old suspect.

Syria war: Turkey lets refugees exit towards Europe

28 February 2020

Groups of refugees and migrants are heading towards the EU after Turkey said it would not abide by a deal to stop them reaching Europe.

I have to say Angela Merkel decision to let in a million-and-a-half refugees in Germany I'm 2015 seems to be a bad one in retrospect.

Regardless of if the decision with a good one morally it clearly has led to more divided society and a more unstable one. Furthermore it it has fuelled right-wing movements and I would say has largely led to a more conservative and strict opinion around illegal immigration Across the Western world from the public.

I think it serves as a lesson that politicians need to be more careful and taking such dramatic actions unilaterally.

Syria war: Turkey says thousands of migrants have crossed to EU

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says 18,000 migrants have crossed Turkish borders into Europe after the country "opened the doors" for them to travel.

The number is expected to hit 25,000 to 30,000 in the coming days, he said.

Turkey could no longer deal with the amount of people fleeing Syria's civil war, he added.

Greece says it has blocked thousands of migrants from entering "illegally" from Turkey.

Greek authorities fired tear gas to attempt to disperse the crowds.

Greece blocks 10,000 migrants at Turkish border

Greek officials say they have blocked nearly 10,000 people from entering the European Union from Turkey, while Turkey says 76,000 people have crossed the border. The EU's border control agency says it is on "high alert."

Ankara, Athens exploit refugees for dangerous political game

Thousands of migrants and refugees are sitting at Greece's gates, eager to cross into Europe. But Turkey and Greece are capitalizing on the turbulent border situation to further their own political agendas.

Last Thursday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan declared he would open the country's border, allowing migrants and refugees to make their way to the Greek frontier. Since then, thousands of people have streamed to Turkey's Pazarkule border crossing with Greece near the Turkish city of Edirne.

Greek border guards, however, have tightened security. They are deploying tear gas and water cannon to drive away migrants and refugees attempting to cross the border. Observers have reported that Turkish authorities have been firing tear gas as well.

Interesting

As I thought Angela Merkel fateful choice in 2015 has turned europe off from helping migrants for a long time.

Interesting

As I thought Angela Merkel fateful choice in 2015 has turned europe off from helping migrants for a long time.
It wasn't just Angela Merkel. It was pretty well every world leader who made this mistake. At the time, I think Viktor Orban was the only one who used brains over heart. Although you could probably put all the Visegrad countries in this boat, along with maybe Stephen Harper.

In Orban you just praised a racist autocrat.

Sigh, a new low even for you.

He may be a racist but he is well loved in Hungary for his handling of the migrant issue. I have family there and as much as they hate how he handles everything else, they love how he handles things with migrants.

You need to understand that Hungary has had issues with foreign Muslim invasions in the past. In the 16th and 17th centuries the Ottoman turks invaded Hungary. Then the Hapsburgs invaded and it led to a revolution in the 19th century where the Hungarians ended up with a dual monarchy. After WW2 Hungary was occupied by the Soviets and then they revolted and kicked them out for a couple of weeks.

Hungarians are passionate about their sovereignty. If people violate their borders it is ingrained in their culture to fight back.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mohács

This is one of the most well known moments in the history of Hungary. It is taught to them like the war of 1812 is here. The migrants are unwanted there and it is a cultural thing. The forcing out of the migrants is a historical thing, it ties into their identity as a nation and their history.

Orban knows this and he uses it to tie into national patriotism.

That being said, he is not wrong. When most of Europe was welcoming migrants, Orban was dealing with thousands of them camping out in the center of Budapest. He then promptly sent them away and sealed the affected sections of the border. They called him insensitive but he was doing what was best for his country.

Now Europe is realizing he was right and are fortifying their borders to prevent being overwhelmed by migrants.

Last edited:
How funny.

The Magyars (who did not speak an Indo-European language) invaded what would later become Hungary, but that was many centuries ago. Note that Hungarians call themselves Magyars.

I know the story. Do keep in mind that when they invaded the Carpathian basin it was the year 996.

I know the story. Do keep in mind that when they invaded the Carpathian basin it was the year 996.
That's always a valid question - how far back do you go.
Almost every place on earth was invaded by someone.
Some say North America was invaded by Europeans. Others go back farther and say that North America was invaded by the Indians, who pushed the first arrivers farther south.
In Hungary's case, do we go back 1000 years and say they illegally invaded.
How far back do we go when invasion was the de-facto law, and when did it became illegal.
If we go back just 100 years (Treaty of Trianon), can we say that Hungary had land stolen from them, and were forced to agree under duress. Under current laws, that would not fly either.

Back