News   Jul 22, 2024
 337     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 397     0 

News from across Asia

Coronavirus: Tokyo Olympic organizers, IOC clash over who pays for postponement

BY STEPHEN WADE THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Posted April 21, 2020 6:37 am

An open conflict broke out Tuesday between Tokyo Olympic organizers and the IOC over who will pay for the unprecedented year-long postponement.

Tokyo spokesman Masa Takaya said the organizing committee has asked the Switzerland-based International Olympic Committee to remove a comment from its website suggesting that Prime Minister Shinzo Abe had agreed that Japan would shoulder most of the postponement costs.

Media reports in Japan estimate the year-long delay caused by the coronavirus pandemic will cost $2 billion to $6 billion. Neither side has given an official estimate, but Tokyo CEO Toshiro Muto has called the postponement costs “massive.”

Last edited:
N. Korea Dictator Kim Jong-un dead.

TMZ (lol) breaks the story.

South Korea says they believe he's alive and supposedly doing well.

Kim Jong-un appears in public, North Korean state media report

Kim Jong-un has appeared in public for the first time in 20 days, North Korean state media says.

KCNA news agency reports that the North Korean leader cut the ribbon at the opening of a fertiliser factory.

North Korea says it will sever hotlines with South Korea: KCNA

June 8, 2020

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea said on Tuesday it will sever hotlines with South Korea as the first step toward shutting down all means of contact with Seoul, state news agency KCNA reported.

For several days, North Korea has lashed out at South Korea, threatening to close an inter-Korean liaison office and other projects if the South does not stop defectors from sending leaflets and other material into the North.

Top government officials in North Korea, including leader Kim Jong Un’s sister, Kim Yo Jong, and Kim Yong Chol, vice-chairman of the Central Committee of the ruling Workers’ Party of Korea, determined “that the work towards the South should thoroughly turn into the one against an enemy,” KCNA said.

Philippines journalist Maria Ressa found guilty in high-profile libel case

A Manila court has found a veteran journalist and staunch critic of President Rodrigo Duterte guilty of cyber libel. Maria Ressa told DW "we must do all we can to protect press freedom, which protects our democracy."

North Korea to restart military exercises on border with South

North Korea has said it will send troops to demilitarized areas on the South Korean border. The move comes a day after the North destroyed an inter-Korean liaison center in the same territory.

433 rivers in China have passed the flood warning stage, 33 are at all-time record levels!

Olympics host Japan slammed by Human Rights Watch report in to athlete abuse

July 20, 2020

A year away from the start of the rearranged Tokyo Olympics, Human Rights Watch have claimed there is a culture of physical and verbal abuse aimed at Japan's young athletes. The country's response is not yet clear.

"I was hit so many times, I can’t count ... we were all called to the coach and I was hit in the face in front of everyone. I was bleeding, but he did not stop hitting me. I did say that my nose was bleeding, but he did not stop."

The words of 23-year-old 'Daiki A' are representative of a culture of sporting abuse sometimes known in Japan as "taibatsu", according to a Human Rights Watch (HRW) report released on Monday to coincide closely with the rescheduled opening date of the Olympics.

The organization says it conducted over 50 interviews with current and former child athletes at various levels of competition, an online survey and spoke to sports organizations. They found that children in Japan still experience abuse in sport and identified institutional issues that make the country's response to such incidents less effective than it could be.

Olympics host Japan slammed by Human Rights Watch report in to athlete abuse

July 20, 2020

A year away from the start of the rearranged Tokyo Olympics, Human Rights Watch have claimed there is a culture of physical and verbal abuse aimed at Japan's young athletes. The country's response is not yet clear.

"I was hit so many times, I can’t count ... we were all called to the coach and I was hit in the face in front of everyone. I was bleeding, but he did not stop hitting me. I did say that my nose was bleeding, but he did not stop."

The words of 23-year-old 'Daiki A' are representative of a culture of sporting abuse sometimes known in Japan as "taibatsu", according to a Human Rights Watch (HRW) report released on Monday to coincide closely with the rescheduled opening date of the Olympics.

The organization says it conducted over 50 interviews with current and former child athletes at various levels of competition, an online survey and spoke to sports organizations. They found that children in Japan still experience abuse in sport and identified institutional issues that make the country's response to such incidents less effective than it could be.

Report alleges physical, sexual abuse faced by 800 Japanese child athletes

• The Human Rights Watch report interviewed former athletes who said they experienced corporal punishment, known as taibatsu, at the hands of coaches
• Japan has child abuse laws but the problem still persists, says the group, which is calling for tougher and new measures to protect children in sport

Apparently, Japanese coaches emulate China and the former Soviet Union for their harsh Spartan-style regimental training for Olympians.

Tokyo Olympics: Japanese excitement waning one year to Games

July 24, 2020

The vast majority of Japanese were enthusiastic about the Olympics returning to the capital. But the coronavirus crisis has raised concerns about a new surge in infections and triggered renewed questions about costs.

Utterly massive explosion in Beirut, Lebanon.

Footage here, via Twitter:
Shockwave felt over 100km away.

Won't be less than dozens dead, maybe orders of magnitude higher.

Cause not yet clear to me.

Gov't of Lebanon has said something to do w/fireworks (which looks plausible based on many smaller explosions embedded in the larger one); but may be insufficient as a total explanation.

Coverage from The Guardian:

1596560864960.png

Back