News   Apr 25, 2024
 319     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 989     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

News from across Asia

That is a peculiar issue given that Israel has more or less resolved it's domestic water problem over the decades and has excess supply in their system.

Israel probably wouldn't be averse to selling the water, or sharing if it comes to a humanitarian crisis standpoint, but I wonder if the region's politics are preventing a solution there.

Bad news out of Asia galore at the moment.

CNN's report of the flooding disaster, in particular the subway tunnels of zhengzhou suggests at least 33 dead.........

But....but..

1627088107388.png

As the top will not copy cleanly, the name is:

Jennifer Zeng

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd

If true, this one of the largest disasters of this type, ever.

Bad news out of Asia galore at the moment.

CNN's report of the flooding disaster, in particular the subway tunnels of zhengzhou suggests at least 33 dead.........

But....but..

View attachment 337054

As the top will not copy cleanly, the name is:

Jennifer Zeng

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd

If true, this one of the largest disasters of this type, ever.
They're saying on WeChat that 33 is far too low. Goodness knows that 6,300 might be too low as well. See the estimated deaths VS the official deaths here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Banqiao_Dam_failure

Note: when a Chinese official number gives a body count, don't believe it. Increase it.

I grew up in Asia. Re the Japanese Korea issue, Asia is a powder keg and most people don't realise it or are just starting to realise it. Nobody likes Japan as they have yet to really own up to WW2 and they were horrible (arguably worse than Germany) there is a ton of animosity and lingering conflicts. Russia is an antagonist, the Korean peninsula is divided, china/Hong kong/taiwan issue is incredibly delicate. Pretty much every country that's on the south china sea has some level of overlapping claims, india and Pakistan and india and china both have major flashpoints, I could go on and on. There are tons of simmering conflicts in Asia and China is pushing several to the forefront. Likewise the China issue will be enough to keep Japan and Korea from sparring too much short term is its vastly beneficial for the two countries to cooperate.

As for the floods, it's a total disaster, the numbers are nowhere near accurate. Look how many people died in europe. All that rain that Europe got fell in a single hour in China. They got more rain in 3 days then they did all of last year. Not to mention they were further hammered by a typhoon this past weekend. The flooding would be catastrophic and knowing how dense China is and particularly these central chinese cities I'm sure the death toll is astronomical. Stories were circulating on wiebo about people being stuck in subway cars with the water rising and rising and a few managed to escape to talk about it but the stories were quickly taken down. I cannot even begin to imagine the scale of the disaster.

I'm sure anyone who left is permanently on the government's blacklist of "traitors".
I've written and had published several articles against the government in favour of the protestors and under the new National Security Law, any crimes apply across the whole world. So me saying Free Hong Kong on this forum is equivalent to a crime that I could be arrest over if I were to return. It's both sad and ridiculous.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dip...-after?module=lead_hero_story&pgtype=homepage

I guess no ones got to it yet but spavor has been sentenced to 11 years in china for spying. This follows the Canadian who was sentenced to death yesterday.
I’ve been to China five times for work, but will never return. I think it’s about time for Ottawa to announce a travel advisory to all Canadians to avoid all travel to China. And that includes a boycott of the Beijing winter games.

I’ve been to China five times for work, but will never return. I think it’s about time for Ottawa to announce a travel advisory to all Canadians to avoid all travel to China. And that includes a boycott of the Beijing winter games.
There is an advisory already for both China and Hong Kong I believe. As I've mentioned above in this thread I've not only been there and lived there, I have a 10 year Chinese Visa and the right to stay there for as long as I like but I also will not be returning as long as Xi remains in power. A boycott of the Olympics is absolutely necessary

There is an advisory already for both China and Hong Kong I believe. As I've mentioned above in this thread I've not only been there and lived there, I have a 10 year Chinese Visa and the right to stay there for as long as I like but I also will not be returning as long as Xi remains in power. A boycott of the Olympics is absolutely necessary
Me too, ten year Visa, but business visits only, not your residence visa. But I won’t even transit through China anymore or ever fly their airlines, including Cathay Pacific. I had to visit Singapore and KL in 2019 and make sure to transit through Taipei.

Exercise a high degree of caution in China due to the risk of arbitrary enforcement of local laws.” No mention of arbitrary kidnapping, kangaroo courts, etc.

THIS is what the travel advisory for China should say, https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/afghanistan. Especially the last sentence.

“AVOID ALL TRAVEL​

Avoid all travel to Afghanistan (China) due to the unstable security situation, risk of kidnapping. If you choose to travel to Afghanistan (China) despite this warning, you’re taking a serious risk. We strongly recommend that Canadians register with the Registration of Canadians Abroad service and include personal and professional contact details. If you’re already in Afghanistan (China), you should leave. The ability of the Embassy of Canada to Afghanistan (China) to provide consular and other support is very limited throughout the country.”

Last edited:

Back