News   Jul 31, 2024
 417     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 356     2 

New York City...

Cooool

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's sad I just went to New York City. And I've always loved Toronto, but now I feel like New York City is so grand and amazing that Toronto simply pales in comparison.

What are your thoughts on New York City? The good and the bad.

NYC is the only city I've gone to that's made Toronto feel small and provincial upon my return (granted, I've not visited the likes of London/Hong Hong/Shanghai/etc).

I love it there, and would consider relocating if the visa requirements were easier and it wasn't so expensive

I was their last week and I have to admit I was envious. The city was clean and crazy busy and people in general seemed to be in a very good mood. I also noticed a huge amount of personnel taking care of the city. From police, everywhere you look, to people cleaning the streets and subway entrances and auxillary police directing traffic at almost every major intersection. But I think the thing I envied the most are the downtown parks (squares). Washington, Union, Madison Square and Bryant Park. Bryant Park was definitely my favourite and is everything an urban park should be. Lots of trees and seating. Varied landscaping, 3 cafes, a fountain and a public washroom. This was supported by a full time washroom attendant and 2 security personnel. I assume the rental revenue generated by the cafes help pay for the upkeep of the park. I also noted that each area has it's very own distinct identity. While walking through Soho I saw garbage bags emblazoned with a Soho logo.

New York is the city of cities. Sure, it has its share of problems, but to focus on these would be like focusing on the bizarre, off-putting characteristics of men like Einstein, Mozart or Proust. These things sort of pale in comparison to their herculean achievements and their singular contributions to mankind.

NYC is the only city I've gone to that's made Toronto feel small and provincial upon my return (granted, I've not visited the likes of London/Hong Hong/Shanghai/etc).
I haven't done Hong Kong or Shanghai ... but London never feels to me like a big city in the same way Manhattan does. Much of the time in London, you feel like you could be in any other major UK city (which are all smaller than Toronto).

London feels nothing like New York. It doesn't have the buzz that New York has. Don't get me wrong, I think London is a great city, but i've never felt like I was actually in a movie while i've been in London. I do get that feeling in NYC.

...but now I feel like New York City is so grand and amazing that Toronto simply pales in comparison.

Almost every city in the world pales in comparison.

New York,New York: So nice they named it twice...

Everyone: I sometime take Manhattan for granted living so close but I fully understand the lure of The Big Apple. There are good and bad spots there like any city but changes for the better have been accomplished tackling the crime problem in the last 20 years. Android mentions places like Bryant Park-which was a open drug market of sorts back in the 80s as a good example.

If you enjoy a city that never sleeps and has a fast moving lifestyle and can afford it NYC is the place to be! Frank Sinatra wanted to be a part of it so much he sang a song about it that is famous and I can't get out of my mind now! Thoughts by LI MIKE

I focus on all New York's flaws...

Pockets of violent crime (The Bronx, Brooklyn, Harlem).

Incredibly expensive.

Most of it is rent owned, so it's difficult to purchase a place.

Impossible to own a car.

Canada is a better country overall.

And my sister who's visited both London and New York said she felt London was "busier" and seemed to have more people. Same with Rome. I found this highly unlikely.

I find that NY has more areas that you can NOT venture in. I feel that Toronto is still a great city, we are growing and improving!

I find that NY has more areas that you can NOT venture in. I feel that Toronto is still a great city, we are growing and improving!

General rule of thumb I always followed since the 80's (back when there were many areas you didn't dare venture into) if there's people around, it's cool. If you suddenly find yourself the only person on a sketchy street, turn around and backtrack. Quick. A great thing about NYC is it's a very walkable city even by night and has been for the 25 yrs. I've been visiting there although admittedly there were some popular, but pretty edgy areas back in the 80's & 90's.

I can't see myself living in New York. Its too big, crowded and busy. If I had the choice between Toronto and New York, Toronto would definitely win. Im not saying New York is bad, its just not me.

Chicago on the other hand is a city that I can see myself living in.

New York is an "urban" city is leagues ahead of us and they do a great job at reducing panhandling.

Actually most tourists end up with a rather safe trip in NY.

Plus NY was the dominate city in America for the past 100+ or even more years now.

It pretty much was the size of Toronto like a 100 years ago, just to put things in perspective...

Back