News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 693     0 

New University...where should it go?

^ True, true. There's just so many kids in unviersity who are there solely to get credentials to become a bio lab technician or an accountant or something...there's no reason why lots of them couldn't take courses at an upgraded college.

Maybe we should leave universities for people who want to be future scientists and scholars. For all other occupations that require specialized knowledge for their applications, we could run public "tertiary schools" or "four-year colleges" that are basically schools that award Bachelor degrees. Then universities can focus on awarding Masters and doctorates and conducting research.

I agree, Ontario has enough research-intensive universities. Four-year colleges would be a good idea (akin to Cal State system or BC's "university colleges"), as would a better functioning system of community colleges (not just terminal applied arts and technology programs, but also like in the US where you can easily transfer to a four-year school).

Maybe we should leave universities for people who want to be future scientists and scholars. For all other occupations that require specialized knowledge for their applications, we could run public "tertiary schools" or "four-year colleges" that are basically schools that award Bachelor degrees. Then universities can focus on awarding Masters and doctorates and conducting research.

Problem is that people usually don't decide which track they want to take until very late in undergrad, or at least in my experience. I don't think isolating the two is necessarily that useful.

I don't particularly care for Mississauga, but I'd support a university there if it was named City University of Mississauga.

I've also thought of the UO thing. They should try to do something like the University of California system. Definitely, UOIT should change its name to UOO. Also, UTM could split from UofT, and become UOM.

While Brock is already in Niagara, the region could really use another university. Both Niagara Falls and (especially) Welland have been struggling over the last 15-20 years, and a university would help the local economies. Welland in particular has plenty of land, most of which is adjacent to the old and new Canals, which would make for great locations. Considering the city is basically becoming one large retirement village, some young blood could really help turn the city around rather than slowly die with the baby boomers.

I just don't think there's any reason to build another campus in the GTA, when smaller communities benefit significantly more from having post-secondary institutions.

Having the university be outside of the GTA has the benefit of making all those homebody GTA kids leave the nest and grow up a little.

A small/medium school of 10,000-15,000 kids would be so much more beneficial in a town that doesn't already have a university.

If we don't increase capacity in the GTA (either by making the schools larger or "removing" students that ideally should not be there), we better hope the 40,000 new students are all from wealthy families. Having a policy of shipping students outside of the GTA coupled with no policies of helping them pay for it isn't a good idea.

A small/medium school of 10,000-15,000 kids would be so much more beneficial in a town that doesn't already have a university.

If we don't increase capacity in the GTA (either by making the schools larger or "removing" students that ideally should not be there), we better hope the 40,000 new students are all from wealthy families. Having a policy of shipping students outside of the GTA coupled with no policies of helping them pay for it isn't a good idea.

We should ensure that the right programs are taught in the right places. I'm all for distributing new universities around the province, just as long as we don't end up teaching Urban Planning in Peterborough or some other strange combination.

Waterloo has a good school of urban planning even though it's a sprawly disaster.

Waterloo has a good school of urban planning even though it's a sprawly disaster.

ya I have to agree. It's not about where the program is but more about the professors, facilities and opportunities that exist within that institution. Sure there are great things that can be learned from studying Urban Planning in Toronto, but we need urban planners that are familiar with small cities and rural communities as well. As someone who is currently in the process of applying to grad school for urban planning, it'd be nice to have more options like Waterloo that provide great programs to students who don't want to (or can't afford to) live in Toronto.

Is urban planning still housed on the U of Waterloo campus? It'd almost make more sense if it were to join Architecture in Cambridge...

Keeping The School of Planning on the main campus is a smarter choice, since the departure of Architecture from FES and buildings means that Planning gained a ton of studio and teaching space. Cambridge is set-up to give as much space to students so adding another School down there would pretty much undo the reason for the move. That, and the fact that trying to split the Map Library would be a bitch and a half when dealing with the Geomatics and other ES programs.

Back