News   Jul 26, 2024
 757     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     2 

New Streetcars

This isn't exactly about the new streetcars but is related. Part of Bingham Loop is now open, I was on the #12 bus and when it travelled west on Kingston Rd it continued west past Victoria Park to Bingham eventually going through Bingham Loop. I don't think they have the streetcars going through yet and the loop itself still needs some kind of shelter to protect us commuters from the elements.

Bombardier has a PDF on their Bombardier Transportation Austria presentation. Click on this link to download the PDF.

From the presentation:

attachment.php

• Date of contract: June 2009
  • Owner: Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)
  • Amount ordered: 204
  • Length: 30.25 m
  • Width: 2.54 m
  • Entrance height: 315 mm

attachment.php

• Date of contract: June 2010
  • Owner: Metrolinx
  • Amount ordered: 182
  • Options for: 118
  • Length: 30.78 m
  • Width: 2.65 m
  • Exterior industrial design is based on Blackpool, UK

attachment.php

For the metric measurement challenged, the suburban light rail vehicles will the 4.33 inches wider then the downtown streetcars. Since the design will be based on the Blackpool model, that means it will be the Flexity 2 model for the suburban LRV's.

Meanwhile, USA Today has the following article, at this link:

Portland streetcar success has fueled interest elsewhere

By Judy Keen, USA TODAY

A decade ago, the Pearl District in Portland, Ore., was a dicey warehouse area. A streetcar line that opened in 2001 helped transform it into a lively neighborhood with boutiques, condos and restaurants.

"It's very much a walking area, and the streetcar is a big part of that," says Jo Carter, owner of Physical Element, a clothing shop that opened in 2003 along the tracks. She expects an extension of the streetcar line that's being built will bring more people into the area. "We're seeing a real revival," she says.

Portland's success helps to fuel a renaissance of electric streetcars on tracks in cities across the USA. This year, the U.S. Department of Transportation has awarded grants totaling $258.6 million for streetcar projects in Portland, Tucson, Dallas, Cincinnati, Charlotte, St. Louis and Fort Worth.

URBAN REVITALIZATION: Social media to the rescue

Chandra Brown, president of the only U.S. streetcar manufacturer, United Streetcar in Clackamas, Ore., says it's making streetcars for Portland and Tucson and is "actively talking" to other cities. San Francisco, New Orleans, Tampa, Memphis and other cities already have streetcar systems.

In January, the Obama administration changed transit funding policies to make it easier for cities to get money for streetcars; cost-effectiveness was once the dominant criteria for proposed projects; now it's one of several factors, including land use, livability and economic development.

"We're sort of going back to the future," says Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, who remembers riding streetcars as a boy in Peoria, Ill. "People ... want to get out of congestion, they want a comfortable ride, they want it to be something they can afford. Buses provide that, but streetcars take people back to a time when you can really connect communities."

Horse-drawn streetcars appeared on urban streets in the early 1800s and were replaced by electric versions in the 1880s and 1890s, says Jerry Kelly of the Baltimore Streetcar Museum. In the 1930s, when the Great Depression put many people out of work, ridership fell. After a brief revival during World War II, affordable automobiles and cheap gas prompted many cities to pave over streetcar tracks, he says.

"I am somewhat surprised" by the renewed interest in streetcars, Kelly says, "but I always wanted them to be back."

Mike Szilagyi, a planner for a Philadelphia company who maintains a website about the city's streetcar history, says the time is right for streetcars, which make downtowns more accessible and get people out of their cars. "A streetcar ride is more comfortable, more civilized," he says.

Streetcars work because they appeal to people who want to live in cities and are "proven to have the ability to attract investment," says John Smatlak of RPR Consulting, a Los Angeles company that helps plan streetcar projects.

Projects are planned in:

Charlotte. Economic development is "one of the primary drivers, if not the primary driver" of a long-term plan for a 10-mile line, Assistant City Manager Jim Schumacher says. Work will start in 2011 on the first leg, a 1.5-mile downtown route.

Dallas. One vintage streetcar line is operating, and two lines are in the works with construction set to begin in 2011. "Everybody wants it," says Keith Manoy, senior program manager for transportation planning. "The entire focus is what it can do to revitalize our downtown."

Cincinnati. The City Council voted this month to authorize the first phase of a streetcar system to replace one shut down in 1951. "It's a really great time for streetcars and a great time for the rebirth of cities," says Michael Moore, interim director of planning and engineering.

In 2008, a study by the city found that Portland's streetcar system had generated $3.5 billion in investments and prompted construction of 10,212 housing units within two blocks of the line.

The Pearl District has had "a fraction" of the business closures experienced by other Portland neighborhoods during the recession, says Joshua Ryan, executive director of the Pearl District Business Association.

"It's the hottest place in the city," he says. "It's the safest district, the cleanest district. ... The benefits of streetcars have surpassed our expectations."

Last edited:
It's a bit confusing that there is a thread NEW STREETCARS and another NEW TTC STREETCARS. Ideally they would be merged or edited to bring all the TTC stuff into the TTC one and all the non-TTC stuff into the other, renamed NON-TTC Streetcars?

They look like two completely different vehicles. I thought the TC version was just a double-ended version of the streetcar version.

Originally they were going to be the same vehicles with less powered wheels, no trolley pole, and double ended. Since they are now standard gauge and wider I guess they decided to make them a different look. I would imagine many of the parts would still be the same. They never did say whether or not the City Streetcars were using Flexity 2 technology or not.

I still think it's dumb that they're standard gauge but whatever. I like the look of the Transit City vehicles better than the streetcars which look kinda fugly.

I still think it's dumb that they're standard gauge

What were the reasons to move to standard gauge? Is it actually that much cheaper? I would think that with the size of these orders, the vehicles can be pretty much built to whatever spec one wants without incurring additional costs -- it's not like they are stamped out on an assembly line or pulled off the shelf. Anyone have more info?

I still think it's dumb that they're standard gauge but whatever. I like the look of the Transit City vehicles better than the streetcars which look kinda fugly.

The TC lines are going to be using a higher power voltage anyways, so I do not see why you think track gauge is an issue.

From what I read, the design of the streetcars has not been finalized yet, but do expect a blunt front end due to the tight curves of the legacy system.

What were the reasons to move to standard gauge?
I believe it's so when McGuinty breaks his promise to build the 4 LRT lines, that they've already ordered the streetcars for, that Metrolinx can still use those vehicles that they have ordered in Kitchener and Ottawa. :)

The TC lines are going to be using a higher power voltage anyways, so I do not see why you think track gauge is an issue.

From what I read, the design of the streetcars has not been finalized yet, but do expect a blunt front end due to the tight curves of the legacy system.

I thought the only thing left to be finalized for the regular streetcars is the paint job, which the TTC has been soliciting people for ideas for with that blank image that you can paint up and submit for the colour scheme

Montréal and Winnipeg vote for streetcars/trams

Back on July 6th, Montréal city council voted in favour of tramways to return on its streets by 2017.

Back on July 21st, Winnipeg city council voted in favour of using light rail as its preferred mode of rapid transit over Manitoba planned busways. While the city of Winnipeg wants a light rail rapid transit, it remains with the province of Manitoba to switch the plans.

W.K. Lis mentioned a mock-up being available early 2011 in a previous post.

My information was:
a half car physical mock-up for you to walk through will be available for viewing early winter of 2011. Delivery of three prototype vehicles could be late in 2011 for testing and to get the bugs out. The first production vehicle will be delivered in early 2013.

Back