News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 694     0 

New GIGANTIC Blue Bins

I can't find my city-issued PIN and I want to order a medium (Cabbagetown factor)... there's no instructions on the Blue Bin website on what to do... I guess I'll have to accept the large, and then pay to exchange.

I spoke to the folks at Solid Waste, they said once you receive the large one and find it doesnt fit or have diffuculty bringing to the sidewalk, they can send someone out and trade it in for a medium, at no cost. I selected medium on the card, but no guarantee. My mother and her neighbours in Scarborough started receiving their bins and they all got large ones, due to limited supply of medium. They will have more medium bins available in March. Small bins wont be available till the fall.
Call 392-BINS for more information. I've called twice and wait is around 5 mins to get a live voice.

I think the new bins are a good development.

It will be an adjustment, certainly, and some people (18 steps) will encounter some difficulties to be sure. We have struggled over which size to order -- we currently fill 2 or 3 double-size blue bins every two weeks, and would like the largest blue bin. But we're not sure it will fit between the two houses (it would, but for the hose spout). So, we're getting the default size, and may purchase another when the time comes.

If they are going to lift these all into the truck mechanically - how long is that going to add to pick-up? I'd think it would take twice as long to mechanically lift up the bin to the truck, than the guy currently takes to simply toss the contents in. Less breaks necessary perhaps ...

Apparently, the new system will speed things up, and has been proven to do so in other cities that have adopted it. We'll see, I guess.

I've also looked at the garbage bins the city will soon roll-out and have similar feelings. At 1.5 bags, the medium bin is just enough for most of our needs, but at times we will need more space. At 3 bags, the large is too big. Since the city will not occasionally accept any overflow from the bins, and I can’t easily make space for two large bins, I've decided to go with the medium blue bin and the large garbage bin and I will simply dump any recyclables that do not fit in the blue bin into the garbage bin.

When I read the report that went to Council, it indicated that each homeowner would be entitled to the occasional "overflow" bag -- they understood that there were certain times of year when people would have more garbage than usual. I seem to recall that the entitlement would be 3 bags per year, but I could be wrong -- that number is a bit low, but at least it's some recognition that garbage volume isn't static week to week. Have no idea how they intend on implementing it.

I wish we had the bag program here.

The last thing we need to be doing is creating more plastic, esp. to facilitate recycling. Unless it's biodegradable, non-petroleum based plastic, but that tends to be expensive.

What they need to have done was to have had the small bins available BEFORE they started implementing the new program, so that households with physical challenges (18 steps) would not be restricted to a choice between heavy-heavier-heaviest. And special allowance ought to have been made to homes or individuals with physical issues, to get more than one of the small bins gratis.

City tests use of one bin for recycling, garbage
Ward 28 houses with storage problem can opt to use single bin for alternating purpose each week
Jan 19, 2008 04:30 AM
JOHN SPEARS
CITY HALL BUREAU
As the new recycling bins start to rumble into dense downtown streets, the city has authorized a trial project to allow households to make alternate use of the same bin for garbage and recycling.

The city's plan is to deliver a new blue bin, with wheels, for recycling purposes to every single-family household.

Later this year, they'll get another bin, the same design except grey, for garbage.

But on some downtown streets of high density, residents of row houses who have no front yard or side access have complained they hardly have space for one bin, let alone two – plus the bins being offered are too large.

After meeting with residents and Councillor Pam McConnell (Ward 28, Toronto Centre-Rosedale), city officials are ready to try out a new arrangement in the ward.

Residents can elect to get one bin only and use it for recycling one week and garbage the next.

Those choosing that option must make sure they don't jumble garbage and recycling together, said Geoff Rathbone, general manager of solid waste.

The city will also scale back the size of bins to be delivered.

Residents can still choose any size bin they wish.

Until now, though, householders who didn't respond to a questionnaire sent out by the city were destined to get a large bin, the equivalent of four blue boxes.

But now, if there's no response, the default size is medium (two blue boxes).

The city has ordered small bins as a third choice for homes, but they haven't been manufactured yet. Once they're available, residents will be offered a chance to revert to the smaller bin if they wish.

The new options for Ward 28 will be explained in a letter to residents next week.

They'll have two weeks to reply.

"We're committed to find a solution that works for everyone, bearing in mind the overall goals of the city," Rathbone said in an interview.

The city has pledged to reach a 70 per cent standard by 2010 for the share of collected garbage sent to recycling, composting or reuse programs.

In some areas, it may be easier for residents to carry their glass, plastic and paper throwaways a short distance to a communal recycling bin. That option could also be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Depending on how the trial goes in McConnell's ward, similar options may be offered in other tightly clustered neighbourhoods around the city.

Residents can elect to get one bin only and use it for recycling one week and garbage the next.

Sure this solution might work for single or couple households who throw out very little garbage and recycle. What about us folks with families who need a large bin but have the same space issues. This is not an option for many of us. Let us use our bags and keep the bin for someone else.

Swallowed by blue bin behemoth
New recycling boxes have gone jumbo. Do you have room to store these monsters?

By SUE-ANN LEVY, TORONTO SUN

Bill Eadie has nowhere to store the city's huge new recycling bins either in front or inside his compact downtown row house.

The Shuter St. resident said his property is 15 feet wide and there is four feet between the front of his house and the sidewalk, not that he'd want to put the bin in front of his house anyway.

"It's a good solution for the suburbs," the avid recycler told me last week, noting the bin packed with recyclables would also be far too heavy to lug from inside his house. "It was just not well thought out (for the downtown core)."

South Cabbagetown resident Sandy Tipper, who is handicapped, said besides the difficulties he'll have getting an enormous bin to the curb, there is no place to put them but in the snowbanks in winter because the city's "streets aren't cleared properly.

"It's not that we don't want to go along with it ... it's physically impossible for many people to do it and comply with all the city's bylaws," he said.

Joice Guspie says storage is an issue at her Cabbagetown semi-detached home.

"I'm not sure where a smallish or a medium bin is going to fit into my life ... it's just too unwieldy," she said. "I resent it being rammed down my throat. On the other hand I'm really trying to be a good recycler."

Unwieldy, massive, poorly-conceived, rushed through with little or no consultation and a waste of money. Those are only some of the criticisms of the costly new "brontosaurus" bins (my words) either just rolled out or soon to arrive in every Toronto neighbourhood.

Rob Orpin, the city's director of collections, said they distributed the recycling bins -- medium, large or extra large -- to Scarborough residents in December; bins for homes from Victoria Park Ave. to east of Yonge St. will be rolled out early next month, followed by homes west of Yonge St. tentatively scheduled to be distributed in mid to late-March.

The city's producing about one million new recycling and garbage bins altogether, which will cost about $50 per bin or $68 million, including taxes and the cost of maintaining the bins.

Orpin says they knew downtown would be a challenge. They're recommending homeowners take the medium bin on an interim basis until they can be switched with small bins that will be ready in the fall. The city will offer side and back-door pickup to people with mobility issues, he said.

The challenges are not just limited to downtown. Storage will also be a problem in my own midtown neighbourhood, where there is very little room between some houses. I'm sure the city's bylaw officers won't appreciate a large blue bin standing out front of any home, let alone plunked in the midst of our home's beautiful landscaping.

LAST-MINUTE INFO

That said, it was hard to tell whether the downtown residents I spoke with last week -- who were sent a notice on Jan. 2 and had only until this past Friday to decide which bin they wanted -- were more upset with the last-minute information provided or the size of the bins themselves. Council approved the bins and the garbage tax in June.

"City Hall pretends to consult with the residents but they're only going through the motions," said Eadie. He added the city is "not being upfront" about its intention to force three new large bins on everyone -- a black garbage bin (that will be subject to the new garbage tax starting Nov. 1) and a larger green bin in addition to the recycling bin.

Rod Muir of Waste Diversion Ontario has been against the new bins from the get-go, largely because of the huge cost.

He points out city officials are only anticipating an extra 15,000 tonnes of increased recyclables in return for the cost expended -- about a pound or two extra per household per week.

"It's an absolutely insignificant amount for the money that's being spent," he said, noting it will take three or four years for Torontonians to realize they've hardly moved the diversion "needle" at all.

Muir makes no bones that the carts -- which will be hoisted into city garbage trucks using a mechanical arm so garbage workers don't have to lift them -- is more about paying back the CUPE unions for supporting Mayor David Miller in the 2006 election.

"This is their reward ... this is going to make their job easier," he said, adding contrary to the city's claims, it will slow down the pickup process "like crazy" on crowded streets packed with parked cars. "And it's going to cost all of us lots of money."

---

RECYCLING BIN SIZES

Medium (holds 2 blue boxes): 23" (deep) X 20.2" (wide) X 39.1" (high)

Large (holds 4 boxes): 28.1" X 26.7" X 40.6"

Extra-large (hold 6 boxes): 33.7" X 28.7" X 45.1"

Cabbagetown and other densely laid out parts of town should be offered the yet to the announced "small" recycling bin. I imagine those who don't have the space will trade their "medium" sized bins in for the smallest ones once they're available.

If they had recycling pick-up every week instead of every fortnight, many would not need the big recycling bin.

Rod Muir of Waste Diversion Ontario has been against the new bins from the get-go, largely because of the huge cost.

He points out city officials are only anticipating an extra 15,000 tonnes of increased recyclables in return for the cost expended -- about a pound or two extra per household per week.

"It's an absolutely insignificant amount for the money that's being spent," he said, noting it will take three or four years for Torontonians to realize they've hardly moved the diversion "needle" at all.

Muir makes no bones that the carts -- which will be hoisted into city garbage trucks using a mechanical arm so garbage workers don't have to lift them -- is more about paying back the CUPE unions for supporting Mayor David Miller in the 2006 election.

"This is their reward ... this is going to make their job easier," he said, adding contrary to the city's claims, it will slow down the pickup process "like crazy" on crowded streets packed with parked cars. "And it's going to cost all of us lots of money."

The Sun made a major error in this report. Rob Muir is not part of Waste Diversion Ontario (which is a government agency that was created by the Waste Diversion Act), but rather, the very similarly named Waste Diversion Toronto, an action group founded by Muir as part of his attempt to run for mayor in the last election. (MuirforMayor.ca - warning, loud and obnoxious background rock music).. hence the blatant criticism you wouldn't hear from an actual public official.... not to mention the city doesn't pay GST and the cost isn't as exorbitant as they make it seem to be.

Not saying that there aren't problems with the program, but I like to nitpick whenever an article from The Sun arrives on our forumsteps. :)

When I read the report that went to Council, it indicated that each homeowner would be entitled to the occasional "overflow" bag -- they understood that there were certain times of year when people would have more garbage than usual. I seem to recall that the entitlement would be 3 bags per year, but I could be wrong -- that number is a bit low, but at least it's some recognition that garbage volume isn't static week to week. Have no idea how they intend on implementing it.

I'm glad to hear about the overflow bags. I can see a number of scenarios when you may have a lot more recyclying than normal - after a move, after a large party, after a purchase of a home theatre system. . . I just bought a box of blue recycling bags last month which I am hoping I can continue to use. However, how they can enforce any kind of limit to the overflow bags will be interesting to see.

However, how they can enforce any kind of limit to the overflow bags will be interesting to see.

At the open house I attended last week, the question of overflow bags was brought up. The Solid Waste manager who was in attendance seemed adamant they would not pick up plastic bags with recycling. The one exception though was cardboard to big to fit inside the bin. They will pick up if left beside the new bin. In case of overflow bags, it depends on the crew working your street. Some of the fellas are really nice and will help, but I've met a few grumpy ones. I'll ask my wife to bake some biscuits and bribe them if necessary. Go for the stomach, works all the time.

Anyone remember North York's experiment with giant drum-like garbage bins in the 80s?

Blue bags are a good solution when the city has the ability to recycle plastic bags. Sadly, we don't have that in Toronto, yet.

Not really. We should be looking at all opportunities to reduce plastic usage, not just recycle it. It's especially brutal to be using one-time-use plastic bags for recycling.

As a stopgap, we'd really have to have a plastic bag recycling program AND use 100% recycled plastic for the blue bags. As someone who uses recycled garbage bags at home, however, I can tell you that the ones that are available now aren't as strong as mainstream, unrecycled garbage bags -- they split open much more easily.

At the open house I attended last week, the question of overflow bags was brought up. The Solid Waste manager who was in attendance seemed adamant they would not pick up plastic bags with recycling. The one exception though was cardboard to big to fit inside the bin. They will pick up if left beside the new bin. In case of overflow bags, it depends on the crew working your street. Some of the fellas are really nice and will help, but I've met a few grumpy ones. I'll ask my wife to bake some biscuits and bribe them if necessary. Go for the stomach, works all the time.

The city staff report indicated that overflow bags would be accepted as part of garbage collection. I haven't seen any mention anywhere of overflow bags for recycling. That makes sense, though. Properties will be taxed on the basis of what size garbage bin one has, but not for recycling. So there is nothing to stop households from having more than one recycling bin (beyond the physical limitations of their property).

Back