484     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 525     0 

New Developments Around Yonge/Bloor

casaguy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Article from the National Post:

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/....html?id=552beeb8-5281-408b-b036-5706d8434215

Action-packed living for urbanites
'It's For Someone Who Wants To Step Outside At Four In The Morning And Be Able To Get A Cab; Or Go To Yorkville For Dinner Or Go To Holt Renfrew -- Someone Who Wants To Be In The Core Of The City, Who Doesn't Want To Miss Any Action' --Veronika Belovich

Sherry Noik-Bent
National Post

Saturday, August 18, 2007

CREDIT: Peter J. Thompson, National Post
Julia Mele looks forward to being in the middle of everything once her suite at Crystal Blu is built near the corner of Balmuto and Bloor streets.
Condominium developments are often plotted along a subway line. An attractive proposition -- proximity to the TTC makes it easier to travel around the city. In the third article in an ongoing series, This is My Stop, Post Homes looks at new condos and their neighbourhoods along the Yonge Street subway line.

Safe to say, Bloor and Yonge is one of the most colourful corners in Toronto, the intersection where the city's two solitudes meet: the suited and the pierced, the boutique shoppers and the vendors, buskers and those who want to save your soul from hellfire. For many, the place where the Yonge and Bloor subway lines meet is also the de facto dividing line between uptown and downtown.

Veronika Belovich, director of sales and marketing for developer Bazis International, describes it this way: "It's happenin'. It's for someone who wants to step outside at four in the morning and be able to get a cab; or go to Yorkville for dinner or go to Holt Renfrew -- someone who wants to be in the core of the city, who doesn't want to miss any action."

That's exactly why Julia Mele wants to live there. "It's going to be busy, but I don't mind that," says the 25-year-old restaurateur. "I mean, that's the city, that's what happens."

Ms. Mele has bought a two-bedroom suite at Crystal Blu, a 130-suite boutique building now under construction on Balmuto Street. Only a few suites remain, including the full-floor penthouse for $4.5-million.

Crystal Blu is one of several condos that are transforming the city's hub into a residential destination. Just steps away, the Pemberton Group is building the Up-town Residences --a 48-storey Art Deco-inspired glass-and-precast building of 284 swish suites, most of which have been snapped up by the kind of "happenin'" people who prefer red carpets to green grass on their doorstep.

Apropos of the fame-and-fashion district, the lobby at Cresford Development's Casa will be all Armani furnished, just as the award-winning model suite was before construction began. It's one of two Cresford buildings going up on Charles Street, just a block south of Bloor and Yonge. The other is BSN (Bloor Street Neighbourhood), with interiors selected by Toronto's own design superstar, Brian Gluckstein.

"I think the people who buy, especially at our project ? they have a defined sense of style, given the fact that it's in the high-fashion area," says Cresford's Maria Athanasoulis. "What we're offering is, I think, more than current."

If this is all part of the ongoing Manhattanization of Toronto, then Bloor Street West is our Fifth Avenue. But then, Yonge Street is our 110th Street -- the do-not-cross line. Kazakhstan-based Bazis wants to change that with its second Toronto project, tentatively named 1 Bloor.

"We are extending Bloor West to the other side of Yonge Street," Ms. Belovich says. "We are going after the same kind of class and style as Bloor West has." The developer's 80-storey mixed-use condo will displace the unsightly block on the southeast corner of the intersection and dramatically reshape the streetscape. Details of the retail/hotel/residential tower with an underground connection to the TTC are still in the works, due to be revealed this fall.

"I think it's going to change the neighbourhood," Ms. Belovich adds. "It's going to make people want to cross the street and [stay] on Bloor."

The Times Group is counting on that, recently launching The 500 at Bloor and Sherbourne. Less boutique but just as chic for downtown living, the 34-storey tower breaking ground later this summer has a wide variety of suites, from 600-square-foot one-bedrooms starting at less than $200,000 to 2,500-sq.-ft. units at more than $1-million.

With those larger suites and a per-square-foot price of around $331--close to the average for the city, yet lower than the prices on the other side of Yonge --The 500 has even attracted some families, says on-site sales manager Sofie Taskas. And a soon-to-come Shoppers Drug Mart is "a great indicator for this spot [being] an up-and-coming residential area."

Indeed, whenever gentrification takes hold, a Shoppers can't be far behind. Even so, Ms. Taskas says homeowners are embracing the true downtown lifestyle as it was originally intended -- all the conveniences within walking, cycling or red-rocket-riding distance. "I have a lot of people buying units here who aren't even buying parking. They like the fact that the subway stop is right across the road, and they don't have that extra expense of having a car."

That's Ms. Mele's goal, too. Though she currently lives not far away, at Yonge and Summerhill, and operates her restaurant, Capocaccia, at Yonge and St. Clair, the young, single entrepreneur is looking forward to being what she considers even more centrally located, surrounded by shopping, dining and the 24/7 buzz of the core. "I used to live north of the city. I don't really see myself going back, even when I do have a family," she says. "There's so much to do. It's so easy to get around, too. You can't really lose."

---------

WEB SITES

-crystalblucondos.com

-pembertongroup.com

-casacondominium.com

-thebloorstreetneighbourhood.com

-1bloor.com -the500condos.com

© National Post 2007

Ms Mele:

I just read that you're a "young, single entrepreneur" and did you know that I'm a young, single entrepreneur too? I shall be joining you for dinner too! Where hopefully I shall knock some sense into you: Crystal Blu is about as attractive as that other Crystal.

It's always amusing reading advertorials--I have a suspicion Ms. Mele is that Bazi's salesgirls' best friend. Too funny. And I don't believe a word of it--Y+B is a wind tunnel, is ultimately a disappointing place to drop $$$$ at for a condo without a view!

I just read that you're a "young, single entrepreneur" and did you know that I'm a young, single entrepreneur too? I shall be joining you for dinner too! Where hopefully I shall knock some sense into you: Crystal Blu is about as attractive as that other Crystal.

It's always amusing reading advertorials--I have a suspicion Ms. Mele is that Bazi's salesgirls' best friend. Too funny. And I don't believe a word of it--Y+B is a wind tunnel, is ultimately a disappointing place to drop $$$$ at for a condo without a view!

UD my friend, you and I are cut from the same cloth. Those advertorials are getting so ridiculous these days. It no longer takes a jaded eye to spot the inherent conflict of interest. In this project, as with many in existence today, quality is out the window. Unfortunately that doesn't become apparent to most of these buyers until they actually take possession of their suites! With the myriad of options today in existing buildings, I cannot comprehend why buyers are willing to plunk down significant deposits and commit themselves to purchase apartments that won't be completed for 3+ years. It just runs contrary to our natural predilections to touch & feel. What other sort of item, let alone the most expensive item you'll ever purchase, do you acquire without an inspection?

I cannot comprehend why buyers are willing to plunk down significant deposits and commit themselves to purchase apartments that won't be completed for 3+ years.

My brother-in-law has made a pretty penny buying pre-construction and then flipping when completed.

My brother-in-law has made a pretty penny buying pre-construction and then flipping when completed.

Whatever he has made in the past I assure you is small time dollars and was subject to enormous risks, not the least of which is illiquidity. Similarly, I can point you to thousands of people who made money flipping houses and condos in Florida and Arizona until that giant house of cards came crashing down and all previous gains were more than wiped out.

The part of the article that really, really made me want to vomit was about the Manhattanization of T.O., how Bloor St is our 5th Avenue (NOT EVEN CLOSE) and Yonge St. is 110th Street??? WTF is this crap? I HATE these comparisons; we are nothing like NYC, not even close. And to imply that 110th St is do-not-cross is vaguely racist, since this is the border with Harlem. The author is completely clueless to the changes that have occurred, and continue to occur, in Harlem...sorry for the digression.

Obviously written by someone who has never spent any time in Manhattan. The comparisons are utterly ridiculous. And furthermore, it is not as though high rise apartment living in Toronto is a new concept that has emerged only in the recent condo boom. There are 30 year old condos in this city! Mid/Downtown Toronto has been a desirable place for many years, as has the Yonge & Bloor area. It doesn't take another sub-prime (excuse the pun) condo to make this an desirable area- it already is one!

Does flipping real estate guarantee 500% returns per year?

Personally, I'd rather devote $100,000 of my capital towards flipping stocks for 10% gains weekly.

Vultur, welcome aboard I find your posts on ssc hilarious and having an opposing viewpoint is always great fun--i love arguing and debating. On some points I agree with you. However, you do remind me of a character I know from my daytrading career: I wonder if it is you?

Does flipping real estate guarantee 500% returns per year?

Personally, I'd rather devote $100,000 of my capital towards flipping stocks for 10% gains weekly.

Vultur, welcome aboard I find your posts on ssc hilarious and having an opposing viewpoint is always great fun--i love arguing and debating. On some points I agree with you. However, you do remind me of a character I know from my daytrading career: I wonder if it is you?

Didn't take long for me to figure out that the SSC page is populated primarily by teenagers so I'd rather not waste any further time and effort there.

Daytrading can be very rewarding- but also addictive, or so I've learned.

Lord Black: NO. Nothing in this world is "guaranteed."

However, after losing money daytrading I learned how to make it all back and in fact did make a 500% return in the last 6 months. It's all in the charts and technicals. If you have the time (I devote about 1 hour/evening) to scan charts (after learning how to "read" them and using a simulator for maybe 6 months) you can usually make 3%/day quite easily. A perfectionist, I only trade when all the technicals are perfect--and 7 times out of 10, I get a 10-20% return within 45 minutes of opening bell. So, 2 hours of "work" per day has granted me a decent income--I'm not a millionaire yet, just making enough to have fun and learning, always learning new techniques to increase my chance of green.

Yes, Vultur is correct: daytrading, like poker playing or drinking or crack cocaine, is highly addictive. I'm obsessed by it:) But, I also have other interests--urban toronto being among them so I restrict my obsession to about 2-3 hours/day. (1 hour to read biz news, investorshub.com and yahoofinance posts.)

Mods, I apologize for getting this thread off track. Anyone interested in daytrading--PM me.

Nothing to stop you from opening a new thread in the General Discusson section on this topic.

Back