News   Jul 24, 2024
 461     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 615     0 

Neptis' Review of Metrolinx's Big Move

Yawn, this conspiracy stuff is so 2004!
People have been trying to get it up to York for ages as it is (rather obviously) a major node. Simultaneously, the province passed new growth legislation that designated a chunk of land just north of York as a new downtown for Vaughan, something that had also been in the works for like 20 years. Also, the province is only covering 1/3 the cost but believe what you want.

We're getting off-topic but this stuff is just so old. Yes, arguably the Yonge side should have been done first except:
a) There's plenty of people on that thread who think it's just as stupid
b) There are, as we all know major downstream capacity constraints on Yonge
c) Building Spadina first helps alleviate those to a degree

Ergo building Yonge first doesn't make as much sense as it might seem at first glance.

We could take some pride in the fact our under-developed subway is actually going to where there's development but it's better to be like Munro and bitch bitch.

Every transit planning decision (for better or worse; mostly the latter) in this region is political in one way or another. The DRL was political over 50 years ago and if it gets built now, that will be politics too. York Region fought to get the line extended up into their node and paid their fare share AND it's already triggering major intensification which, I thought, was what we wanted suburbs to do. Better it should still be a field and we open more subdivisions in north Vaughan?

I don't doubt Sorbara was involved in the lobbying at some point but this talk of it being "the Sorbara line" or a "subway to nowhere" is just so passe and retrograde. I've said it in other threads but if this was 1970, y'all would be complaining about North York getting a subway up to Finch, where there's naught but farm fields.

The tri-tripartite Vaughan decision (i.e. including 3 governments not involved with Sorbara) was less political and more practical than the Scarborough line - both the Vaughan and Yonge extensions are directly linked to provincial planning policy and major growth centres, for starters - so chew on that.
We're getting off topic because you brought up the the YR subways(again) first because Munro (with good reason) is against it. Everyone has concede the subway will have very low ridership past Finch West but somehow VCC is a significant node, more important then the entire east half of the city? I don't think so and this is part of the reason why Scarberians are so mad at the city and the downtown politicians, they are ignored while things like this happen. There is no way you can say the Sheppard Subway is pointless and say the Vaughan extension is worth it. Both go to town centres through low density areas. At the end of the day, the TTC's primary priority is still the resident of Toronto and it's 3 million population. It should not be used as a political tool to gain votes. That's what all the suburban extensions (Sheppard, McCowan, Yonge, VCC) really are.

It's can't always be about "look beyond the borders" and "it's the same city!" and regional nodes!" People, especially the taxpayers in the of Toronto who will pay for all of this, have every right to question it.

Last edited:
The Feds were quick to pony up their share. Outer 416 and inner 905 are prov and fed battleground seats. David Miller wasn't going to look 2/3 of a subway in the mouth. Not much more to be said about Spadina Extension.

Uh, no. They took their sweet time actually and everybody had to wait on them. It's not like the PM dropped in to stand by his crack-using fishing buddy to eagerly announce he'd be advancing a nice chunk of infrastructure for a still un-planned, route.

[goes digging for dates]...
2007 - Spacing describes fed $ as "the final hurdle" http://spacing.ca/toronto/2007/03/04/spadina-subway-extension-clears-funding-hurdle/
And here is a 2008 story about how everyone was wondering what the hold-up was...
http://transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/weblog/2008/07/10-federal_go.shtml

I guess Sorbara couldn't work his voodoo in Ottawa? Seriously, I've talked with people who worked on the project - contrary to legend, the feds needed to be sold on it before ponying up.

We're getting off topic because you brought up the the YR subways(again) first because Munro (with good reason) is against it. Everyone has concede the subway will have very low ridership past Finch West but somehow VCC is a significant node, more important then the entire east half of the city? I don't think so and this is part of the reason why Scarberians are so mad at the city and the downtown politicians, they are ignored while things like this happen. There is no way you can say the Sheppard Subway is pointless and say the Vaughan extension is worth it. Both go to town centres through low density areas. At the end of the day, the TTC's primary priority is still the resident of Toronto and it's 3 million population. It should not be used as a political tool to gain votes. That's what all the suburban extensions (Sheppard, McCowan, Yonge, VCC) really are.

It's can't always be about "look beyond the borders" and "it's the same city!" and regional nodes!" People, especially the taxpayers in the of Toronto who will pay for all of this, have every right to question it.

Well, how all this is funded should be equitable. I'm not saying "the TTC should act like a regional system" but not get regional funding. Obviously that's unfair but it's also not justification for throwing up a wall at Steeles when people are traveling across it every day, every way and getting penalized in one way or another by the lack of integrated thinking.

The whole darned thing needs to be rethought and I don't know that Schabas or Munro really addresses that; that was part of my point about how Munro views things through what's there now and how TO will get screwed by this and that. If they actually do build the entire Big Move, funding, fares and governance all have to be rethought.

I don't mean to drag things off-topic severely. I didn't say the Sheppard Subway (by which I guess you mean the Bloor-Danforth extension?) was pointless. I said calling the Vaughan extension "pure politics" when the Scarborough decision was as nakedly, cynically political as you can get is an impossibility. It's disappointing if suburban extensions are regarded as little more than vote-buying exercises. Most of these places genuinely do need high-order transit, whether it's LRT or subway or whatever. I don't want to sound like Rob Ford and point out that downtown already has subways :) but there's a reason that these are the places we're building them too now and it's partly because we left them too long without transit already.

So, to return to my larger point: the Neptis report has many factual and logical mistakes and Munro points many of them out but The Big Move is a REGIONAL plan and Neptis's evaluation was of that REGIONAL plan and Munro, for all his exhaustiveness views things through a self-defined local, Toronto lens. It's fine to point out how this impacts Toronto but if you're trying to evaluate the larger goals of the plan you're missing part of the point and while it's the TTC's job and council's job to have a "Toronto-first" attitude, he has enough wisdom and freedom to look at the bigger picture and he misses the opportunity, IMHO.

Last edited:
Well this is off topic but I do think going to York U, Finch and Steeles is likely to be worth it, because Finch & Steeles buses are very high ridership.
And are the majority of those students coming from south or east and west?

It frustrates me. To. No. End.

I agree as far north as Steeles. Not because it's the municipal boundary, but because it's the furthest north that subway could be justified. Vaughan is ridiculous no matter how you slice it. As is the name "Pioneer Village" instead of "Steeles West", but that's another digression and frankly one that we could spend all day griping about.
The TTC should have said no to pioneer village

Indeed. Though it could always be worse yet ("Black Creek Pioneer Village" anyone?). Then there was that proposal for a "Nelson Mandela Station" on the BD extension through Scarborough too...

[/DIGRESSION]
You've got to be joking. Thats insane

Yawn, this conspiracy stuff is so 2004!
People have been trying to get it up to York for ages as it is (rather obviously) a major node.-

A major mode with what, 234,000 people. What would you call Mississauga then with over 500,000 people? TTC should be providing service for Toronto citizens first. I don't approve of the Scarborough subway but i do not blame people there for wanting a subway when they see one go into Vaughan that has 1/3 of the population Scarborough has

The Feds were quick to pony up their share. Outer 416 and inner 905 are prov and fed battleground seats. David Miller wasn't going to look 2/3 of a subway in the mouth. Not much more to be said about Spadina Extension.
He should have and should have also pushed the DRL

Well, how all this is funded should be equitable. I'm not saying "the TTC should act like a regional system" but not get regional funding. Obviously that's unfair but it's also not justification for throwing up a wall at Steeles when people are traveling across it every day, every way and getting penalized in one way or another by the lack of integrated thinking.

The whole darned thing needs to be rethought and I don't know that Schabas or Munro really addresses that; that was part of my point about how Munro views things through what's there now and how TO will get screwed by this and that. If they actually do build the entire Big Move, funding, fares and governance all have to be rethought.

Right now, the TTC is entirely funded by the city of Toronto, and will continue to be so after the Vaughan extension is built. Regional thinking = Regional Payment. Or provincial payment.

I don't mean to drag things off-topic severely. I didn't say the Sheppard Subway (by which I guess you mean the Bloor-Danforth extension?) was pointless. I said calling the Vaughan extension "pure politics" when the Scarborough decision was as nakedly, cynically political as you can get is an impossibility. It's disappointing if suburban extensions are regarded as little more than vote-buying exercises. Most of these places genuinely do need high-order transit, whether it's LRT or subway or whatever. I don't want to sound like Rob Ford and point out that downtown already has subways :) but there's a reason that these are the places we're building them too now and it's partly because we left them too long without transit already.

So, to return to my larger point: the Neptis report has many factual and logical mistakes and Munro points many of them out but The Big Move is a REGIONAL plan and Neptis's evaluation was of that REGIONAL plan and Munro, for all his exhaustiveness views things through a self-defined local, Toronto lens. It's fine to point out how this impacts Toronto but if you're trying to evaluate the larger goals of the plan you're missing part of the point and while it's the TTC's job and council's job to have a "Toronto-first" attitude, he has enough wisdom and freedom to look at the bigger picture and he misses the opportunity, IMHO.

They are little more then vote buying exercises. Will the Bloor Danforth meet capacity withing the next 25 years? No. Will VCC? No. Will Richmond Hill to Finch? No. Will the Sheppard East subway? No. All these are below capacity extensions designed to get people to vote for the nearest Liberal or Conservative Candidate. Ergo, vote buying exercise. And a flaw in provincial planning policy. So now we arrive here. At this point, we arrive at these options. 1) provincial funding for the TTC 2) Upgraded GO 3) proceed with all these money losing, politically planned extensions. 4) Nothing changes. Maybe number 1 is best. I feel that if all these place want subways they should be paying for them and feel the cost of it.

Downtown has the most subways because it's the densest part of the region. These places are all suburban office parks or malls which may or may not succeed. The Big Move may be a regional plan, but I'm guessing Munro being a Toronto proper blogger wanted to talk about Toronto. Again it's not about throwing the walls up at Steeles, it's about funding extensions for political gain and money loss. You say city borders should not matter because all of a sudden RH and Vaughan are growing and should demand and get everything. That's not how it works, especially when some of those people ran away from Toronto in the first place. The subway is supposed to be for those south of Steeles, because they pay for it. Right now, in 2016, the fare system will not change when VCC opens. It should be if you want the subway, you should live south of Steeles. That's completely fair right at this second.

A major mode with what, 234,000 people. What would you call Mississauga then with over 500,000 people? TTC should be providing service for Toronto citizens first. I don't approve of the Scarborough subway but i do not blame people there for wanting a subway when they see one go into Vaughan that has 1/3 of the population Scarborough has

I don't think you know the difference between a node and a municipality. Try Dictionary.com or wikipedia. Or you could look up "mobility hub" on Metrolinx's site. Or read Places to Grow...Really, there's lots of places you could start. The subway isn't designed to serve all of Vaughan; it's designed to serve VMC.

Also, your numbers are off.

But, yeah, sure. Let's go back to talking about who DESERVES subways based on something arbitrary.

Right now, the TTC is entirely funded by the city of Toronto, and will continue to be so after the Vaughan extension is built. Regional thinking = Regional Payment. Or provincial payment.

Yeah, that's what I said, isn't it? That's RIGHT NOW. There's no reason that has to be the case even this time next year. As I said, neither the current governance, nor the fare structure, nor the funding system is currently scaled to what we have in operation. So, we agree. But extrapolating from what we have now - which is what Munro does - is pointless because it absolutely has to change, and it will. (And if TTC had implemented Presto earlier, we might be further along on some of this discussion, but maybe not. We're behind on just about everything else...)

They are little more then vote buying exercises. Will the Bloor Danforth meet capacity withing the next 25 years? No. Will VCC? No. Will Richmond Hill to Finch? No.

You could also have mentioned the original Spadina line which, as we all know, was stupidly stuck in the middle of a highway, killing development potential. I'd only dispute RH to Finch because of the development already on Yonge and the fact so many people are already just driving/busing from the north down to Finch. I think it's probably the safest bet in the whole Big Move in that respect, irrespective of the capacity issues. If you don't have faith in Yonge Street, it's hard to get too excited about, I dunno, Hurontario. But I agree that politics has driven where the new lines are going far more than it should. It's part of the reason I don't trust TTC (which is political AND terribly parochial) to do its job right. Metrolinx has yet to show it's much better, but it's how it is supposed to operate, in theory.

Downtown has the most subways because it's the densest part of the region. These places are all suburban office parks or malls which may or may not succeed. The Big Move may be a regional plan, but I'm guessing Munro being a Toronto proper blogger wanted to talk about Toronto.

I understand why downtown has subways, I thought I made clear. As for Munro, that's fine but then he should make that clear. If I want to evaluate the Constitution of Canada writ large, that's one thing. But if I want to evaluate it in terms of how it affects cities or Aboriginal people or whatever, that's another. Munro implied he was doing a general assessment and I think we agree it's really a Toronto assessment. He's entitled, of course, but it leads to some apples/oranges problems because he is evaluating something in a different context than the report he is criticizing.

Again it's not about throwing the walls up at Steeles, it's about funding extensions for political gain and money loss. You say city borders should not matter because all of a sudden RH and Vaughan are growing and should demand and get everything. That's not how it works, especially when some of those people ran away from Toronto in the first place. The subway is supposed to be for those south of Steeles, because they pay for it. Right now, in 2016, the fare system will not change when VCC opens. It should be if you want the subway, you should live south of Steeles. That's completely fair right at this second.

a) It's not "all of a sudden" unless we're in 1992 and the lack of awareness about growth spilling beyond Toronto's borders is clearly part of the problem, as is the legislative attempt (and market success) at intensification. (I'm not saying with YOU but more generally, which is related to larger arguments from people who complain about gridlock while rejecting revenue tools that would help alleviate it....)
b) The point is NOT that Vaughan and RH should "get everything." The point is that the province LEGISLATIVELY REQUIRES them to intensify and you can't require them do that without providing them with tools to it; like, say building a transit line and stopping 2 km from their growth nodes. This seems self-evident to me. If they don't get the transit they will not intensify the way we hope and you get more traffic and more sprawl; we have to be consistent in our approach and it's a 2-way street, is my point.
c) Assuming people in the suburbs "ran away" from Toronto is....yeah, I don't know what to even say to that. Check real estate listings and get back to me on that.
d) Unless you are Kreskin (and your name suggests otherwise) you don't know what the fare structure will be in 2016 or 2017 or 2023. That said, we're talking around each other, to a point. Obviously RIGHT NOW the TTC is funded by Toronto so you can cry foul if someone talks about building TTC lines beyond the municipal border. The difference is you're saying, "That's the situation," and I'm saying, "The situation does not recognize on-the-ground realities and has to change and will change." Building a subway or two that crosses the border could and should force the issue for the higher-ups to reconsider how the fund TTC and transit in the GTA in general. I don't think it's a stretch to assume that the people behind the Big Move fully understood that new governance, funding and fare models would have to come online to build it. And yet you (and Munro) proceed from the assumption that this stuff will get built without that stuff changing; not possible.

So, we agree on basic premises but I'm saying that if Munro or someone else is going to evaluate The Big Move (which is what this thread is about!) they have to look at its entirety and not pick apart this line or that line and say why it won't work or can't be funded. Obviously the TTC can't be expected to extend its lines infinitely beyond 416 without some change. It's a glass half-full thing, really. You're saying (I think) "don't do the extension because right now it's not fair" and I'm saying, "do the extension because soon it will be fair." You're saying, "If you want a subway, live in Toronto!" and I'm saying, "If you want to build a subway, build it to where people are (and where they're going) and fund it accordingly, and have people pay accordingly."

Last edited:
I still think Neptis' main points are mostly correct. SM spends a lot of time talking about 'local' vs. 'regional' but i'm not sure it always makes sense. to look at a representative quote:

SM said:
As I have said many times, it is not the purpose of the LRT services to complete for longer-distance trips. If we build rapid transit only to serve regional trips, we will ignore the substantial demand for local transit. On this Schabas and a lot of early planning at Metrolinx part company with me.

It's fine, and probably good, to prioritize improvements to local transit. Since 'local' is such a vague term, though, this argument can devolve into more of a motto. Just because you claim you're serving local demand doesn't mean you are.

Let's assume that "local" trips are those under 10km. LRT over those distances is hardly an improvement at all. While LRT is usually faster than conventional bus services it's not hugely so. Even if it was, as trips become shorter, the relative importance of travel speed drops and the weight of access times goes up.

As much as SM criticizes solutions like ALRT/Skytrain for, basically, reinventing the wheel, he seems equally comfortable with huge capital expenditures for reinventing local surface transit.

I'd also add that, across N.America, no transit operators since 1945 have built LRT systems like what TC proposed. The average station spacing in N.America is well over 1km and routes tend to run along industrial rail corridors or in highway medians. Nobody has built LRT systems to replace functional bus routes. When SM (and others) lament how "the world" has been building LRTs, I think he neglects the actual design of those LRT systems.

Re: the Spadina extension compared to Sheppard subway

I think that the Spadina extension is a much better idea and will be better used than Sheppard for the following reasons:

- Steeles & Finch West buses (and possibly future LRT) will dump riders onto the subway and they each have more ridership than Sheppard East. http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Transit_Planning/Surface_Ridership_2012.jsp
- York U will generate significant ridership, no such equivalent on the Sheppard line
- It goes downtown
- It goes near high-density low-income areas like Jane & Finch where many don't own cars or even have licenses

You've got to be joking. Thats insane

Sadly I'm not; there was a unanimous council vote in support in December right after Mandela died but there hasn't been a peep about it since however.

Regarding Vaughan, I fully believe that subway is a major overkill for the node of density that will be VMC (note future tense will be: the station site is literally a field right now). Toronto has unfortunately suffered for a long time from a lack of coordination between its rapid transit and commuter rail agencies, TTC and GO, owing to the municipal vs provincial nature of each, and as a result of that has developed a tunnel-vision view (no pun intended) that subway is the highest and best mode of transit for moving commuters long distances. Decidedly it is not. That's the kind of mentality that has commuters from Malvern, for example, taking half hour plus bus rides and then stopping at every bloody Chester and Castle Frank on the subway line on their way downtown. A subway is meant for a corridor of density where it can serve trips of all lengths. When I'm downtown (and have a Metropass) I use the subway to travel to and from Union Station as a medium-distance trip. I also travel a couple of stops to the Eaton's Centre for lunch or to my favourite tea shop for a tea at breaks.

That is decidedly not what Vaughan is and not what any of our suburbs really are. Vaughan Metropolitan Centre is a node. Scarborough City Centre is a node. Mississauga City Centre is a node. These are the kinds of destinations that are truly unreasonable to extend already expensive subways, underground tunnel-bored to boot, through kilometres of low-density residential or industrial sprawl (including empty fields in the case of Vaughan) to meet. We have GO Transit for a reason. Massive upgrades to all GO lines have been recently announced by the province. GO is the right type of transit for serving nodes. And considering that VMC as it's being built is a short bus ride away from the GO Barrie Line, for which a Concord station is being proposed anyways, it's even further unthinkable to waste billions of dollars on the wrong mode of transit for an area that's not even in the municipality that the TTC has in its name, all the while setting the precedent for further municipalities in York Region to demand their own subway extensions.

Upgrading the Barrie Line south of Vaughan for AD2W service and implementing fare integration so that passengers could transfer between TTC and GO at say, York University Station, would have cost a fraction of the cost of this subway extension. It should have gone to York University, and maybe/probably Steeles as well, but no further.

Regarding Vaughan, I fully believe that subway is a major overkill for the node of density that will be VMC (note future tense will be: the station site is literally a field right now).

Time will tell, I guess. And, in fairness, only PART of it is a field right now and that's partly because they're waiting for the subway to be built. Other parts have hotels and shops and, yes, Walmarts and parking lots.

That is decidedly not what Vaughan is and not what any of our suburbs really are. Vaughan Metropolitan Centre is a node. Scarborough City Centre is a node. Mississauga City Centre is a node. These are the kinds of destinations that are truly unreasonable to extend already expensive subways, underground tunnel-bored to boot, through kilometres of low-density residential or industrial sprawl (including empty fields in the case of Vaughan) to meet.

But you're lumping them all together, irrespective of geography and circumstance. VMC and Langstaff/RHC are both juuust north of the city, Mississauga is nowhere close to the border. The development along Yonge is contiguous and like 3km from Steeles up to the node; neither can be said of Mississauga or even Scarborough. Empty fields don't bother me since, as I said earlier, Finch was empty fields well into the 1970s when the subway was built up to there. The lack of funding etc. has crippled TTC and it's thinking and we've fallen behind instead of showing forethought. We're trying to get out ahead of the wave this time and there are pros and cons there.

We have GO Transit for a reason. Massive upgrades to all GO lines have been recently announced by the province. GO is the right type of transit for serving nodes. And considering that VMC as it's being built is a short bus ride away from the GO Barrie Line, for which a Concord station is being proposed anyways, it's even further unthinkable to waste billions of dollars on the wrong mode of transit for an area that's not even in the municipality that the TTC has in its name, all the while setting the precedent for further municipalities in York Region to demand their own subway extensions.

But again you're painting everything with a single brush. Not all nodes are equal in terms of density, transit-orientation or geography. The whole point of the RHC node is to ditch road capacity constraints and build around GO and subway. Take one away, you lose the density. The NAME of the TTC is totally irrelevant to me since it can be changed like that. The TORONTO Transit Commission was going to Scarborough and North York and Etobicoke, and the only thing that justified that was the existence of Metro. So, to return to my earlier points, the problem is people getting hung up on names and lines on maps. If we had The Greater Toronto Transit Authority (and why don't we?) your semantic argument would be exposed for how narrow it is.

Markham and Vaughan are urban municipalities directly north of Toronto, with contiguous development on (relatively) natural extensions of the existing lines. Call me if Georgina and King City ask for extensions and I may share your concerns.

I still think Neptis' main points are mostly correct. SM spends a lot of time talking about 'local' vs. 'regional' but i'm not sure it always makes sense. to look at a representative quote:

As much as SM criticizes solutions like ALRT/Skytrain for, basically, reinventing the wheel, he seems equally comfortable with huge capital expenditures for reinventing local surface transit.

I'd also add that, across N.America, no transit operators since 1945 have built LRT systems like what TC proposed. The average station spacing in N.America is well over 1km and routes tend to run along industrial rail corridors or in highway medians. Nobody has built LRT systems to replace functional bus routes. When SM (and others) lament how "the world" has been building LRTs, I think he neglects the actual design of those LRT systems.

All good points. I always saw LRT (and TC, in particular) as a flawed compromise but still a wise move forward. We have a federal government that is disinterested in any infrastructure investment that's not politically motivated and while the Liberals have been relatively amazing over the past few years, we're not going back to the Bill Davis transit formula any time soon. The time has simply passed for some subways that should have been built in the 60s, 70s and 80s. The most obvious example is the Eglinton line which would probably be very successful had it been built on time, so now it's going to be sort of a "subway lite"and, to the extent such things can be defined, it's a hybrid between LOCAL and EXPRESS. (You could see the same debate with the UP Express where people wanted more local stops, thus eroding its entire purpose; you have to strike a balance.)

People now are so hung up on SUBWAYS and the PCs, especially, are against any surface routes that it's mind-numbing. It shouldn't be complicated to understand that we have different modes to choose from and need to find the right one for the right corridor and that's a symptom of the larger problems (political and otherwise) that come with trying to implement a regional plan.

The Big Move isn't perfect and neither is Schabas' report and neither is Munro's report on that report on that report. Somewhere in there is wisdom, however, and actually building something somewhere is at least progress after more than 20 years of stasis and stagnation. Picking on fare structures etc. strikes me as nitpicking; we know roughly where we need to go so let's figure out how to get there instead of listing longstanding, obsolete obstructions.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I said, isn't it? That's RIGHT NOW. There's no reason that has to be the case even this time next year. As I said, neither the current governance, nor the fare structure, nor the funding system is currently scaled to what we have in operation. So, we agree. But extrapolating from what we have now - which is what Munro does - is pointless because it absolutely has to change, and it will. (And if TTC had implemented Presto earlier, we might be further along on some of this discussion, but maybe not. We're behind on just about everything else...)

Who says it has to change. We can't even get a fare share agree between GO and the TTC you think it will change? Just an example, GO is suppressing ridership within the 416 by charging double the rate the TTC does from places like Eglinton and Mimico to Union.

You could also have mentioned the original Spadina line which, as we all know, was stupidly stuck in the middle of a highway, killing development potential. I'd only dispute RH to Finch because of the development already on Yonge and the fact so many people are already just driving/busing from the north down to Finch. I think it's probably the safest bet in the whole Big Move in that respect, irrespective of the capacity issues. If you don't have faith in Yonge Street, it's hard to get too excited about, I dunno, Hurontario. But I agree that politics has driven where the new lines are going far more than it should. It's part of the reason I don't trust TTC (which is political AND terribly parochial) to do its job right. Metrolinx has yet to show it's much better, but it's how it is supposed to operate, in theory.

Right, it should been along Dufferin but now unless someone reposes relocation of the line there is nothing we can do. You say so many people are coming to Finch each day, it's so dense. But it won't overwhelm the system if we extend yonge. It's either a critical mass problem of too many people, or what I think will happen, which is Clark and RHC will be empty most of the day just like VCC and 407. As for Hurontatrio, the LRT should show us if they mean business. Whenever Milton goes online will be the real test.

I understand why downtown has subways, I thought I made clear. As for Munro, that's fine but then he should make that clear. If I want to evaluate the Constitution of Canada writ large, that's one thing. But if I want to evaluate it in terms of how it affects cities or Aboriginal people or whatever, that's another. Munro implied he was doing a general assessment and I think we agree it's really a Toronto assessment. He's entitled, of course, but it leads to some apples/oranges problems because he is evaluating something in a different context than the report he is criticizing.

And that's completely fine but given the subject matter it's completely fair. Neptis is basically say build it but not Sheppard east despite the fact they are the same vote buying exercises.
a) It's not "all of a sudden" unless we're in 1992 and the lack of awareness about growth spilling beyond Toronto's borders is clearly part of the problem, as is the legislative attempt (and market success) at intensification. (I'm not saying with YOU but more generally, which is related to larger arguments from people who complain about gridlock while rejecting revenue tools that would help alleviate it....)
b) The point is NOT that Vaughan and RH should "get everything." The point is that the province LEGISLATIVELY REQUIRES them to intensify and you can't require them do that without providing them with tools to it; like, say building a transit line and stopping 2 km from their growth nodes. This seems self-evident to me. If they don't get the transit they will not intensify the way we hope and you get more traffic and more sprawl; we have to be consistent in our approach and it's a 2-way street, is my point.
c) Assuming people in the suburbs "ran away" from Toronto is....yeah, I don't know what to even say to that. Check real estate listings and get back to me on that.
d) Unless you are Kreskin (and your name suggests otherwise) you don't know what the fare structure will be in 2016 or 2017 or 2023. That said, we're talking around each other, to a point. Obviously RIGHT NOW the TTC is funded by Toronto so you can cry foul if someone talks about building TTC lines beyond the municipal border. The difference is you're saying, "That's the situation," and I'm saying, "The situation does not recognize on-the-ground realities and has to change and will change." Building a subway or two that crosses the border could and should force the issue for the higher-ups to reconsider how the fund TTC and transit in the GTA in general. I don't think it's a stretch to assume that the people behind the Big Move fully understood that new governance, funding and fare models would have to come online to build it. And yet you (and Munro) proceed from the assumption that this stuff will get built without that stuff changing; not possible.

a and b: is that Toronto's fault? That was the provincial governments entire idea. Why do Toronto citizens have to pay for people who chose not live in Toronto? Does that sound fair and reasonable? They already do that pay by having provincial taxes go to GO Service they can't use because it's expensive.

c: right. Which is why the DRL should go first.

d: We do know fares go up every 18 months, and it will cross 4.00 very soon. That's still not enough to fund the infrastructure deficit, or similar issues. The Big Move is the second regional plan since 2002; and now they are claiming in 10 years all GO lines will have 15 minutes.

So, we agree on basic premises but I'm saying that if Munro or someone else is going to evaluate The Big Move (which is what this thread is about!) they have to look at its entirety and not pick apart this line or that line and say why it won't work or can't be funded. Obviously the TTC can't be expected to extend its lines infinitely beyond 416 without some change. It's a glass half-full thing, really. You're saying (I think) "don't do the extension because right now it's not fair" and I'm saying, "do the extension because soon it will be fair." You're saying, "If you want a subway, live in Toronto!" and I'm saying, "If you want to build a subway, build it to where people are (and where they're going) and fund it accordingly, and have people pay accordingly."

I am saying that. You say soon it will be fair but history shows that's never case, and I say live in Toronto, because, at the end of the day, the people are in Toronto. Scarbrough alone has 3/5 of the population of YR. There is no justification not to build Sheppard East and Bloor Danforth if YR has two subways. That's what people will say and they are not wrong to say that at all.

Who says it has to change. We can't even get a fare share agree between GO and the TTC you think it will change? Just an example, GO is suppressing ridership within the 416 by charging double the rate the TTC does from places like Eglinton and Mimico to Union.

I think we agree about more than we don't :) The province has the power to fix all this, the question is whether they can (politically) or actually will. We've outgrown the system and whether it's double fares or subways crossing borders or inequitable GO rates, someone needs to do something significant. I think it's doable but it's going to step on a lot of toes and the sooner it happens, the better. A plan is all fine and good but it's got no teeth right now, to say anything of how it's being simultaneously not-built and improvised on the fly.

a and b: is that Toronto's fault? That was the provincial governments entire idea. Why do Toronto citizens have to pay for people who chose not live in Toronto? Does that sound fair and reasonable? They already do that pay by having provincial taxes go to GO Service they can't use because it's expensive.

this isn't really fair. I could answer "Because a lot of those people who don't live in Toronto work there and buy lunch there and go to the opera there," and, generally, because it's all one economy. There are people who "choose" to live outside Toronto because they can't afford to or for other reasons that are not much of a "choice" and while taxes go where they go and lines on a map don't mean nothing, practically speaking the region functions as a single unit that none of this recognizes. That said, I understand why a 416 taxpayer doesn't want to pony up for someone in Vaughan to ride the subway. That said, we just saw the Premier come out and let the fine people of Timmins know that their taxes won't be used to fund rapid transit expansion in the GTA because, of course, people in Timmins don't benefit at all if Toronto is doing well, nor do they suffer if it's doing poorly. It's all the same narrow-minded approach and I understand it politically. Practically, it's inefficient at best and counterproductive at worst.

(And that's without getting into why federal money should go to fund a subway in Scarborough or Vaughan. The implicit, obvious answer is that everyone benefits when the country's most prosperous city is able to build the infrastructure it needs to function and continue growing. If someone in Iqaluit can live with their taxes going to Scarborough, surely someone in the Beach can handle their taxes going to Vaughan, no?)

I am saying that. You say soon it will be fair but history shows that's never case, and I say live in Toronto, because, at the end of the day, the people are in Toronto. Scarbrough alone has 3/5 of the population of YR. There is no justification not to build Sheppard East and Bloor Danforth if YR has two subways. That's what people will say and they are not wrong to say that at all.

This is what happens when you try to play catch-up at the same time you're trying to get ahead. If all this other stuff - especially the DRL - had been built 20 years ago, no one would think too much about going up to RH or Vaughan. But now there's so few resources that setting priorities is impossible and certain political figures throw everything out of wack by dismissing fact-based arguments from something difficult enough to start with. (And York Region wouldn't really have "two subways," it would have 5 or 6 stops at its very southern end, but again, I understand the politics and optics of it.)

Back