News   Apr 26, 2024
 438     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Neighbour Playing Drums -- very noisy in the building's private courtyard

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I live in an apartment building and one of my neighbours began playing the drums near their window. While I don't hear much in my unit several floors above, we have a private courtyard which is quite nice to enjoy this weather we've been having and it is unbearable with the loud drum noise. Because of one neighbour, nobody can enjoy the courtyard.

Is it legal as long as it's during the day or can I call the police to investigate and hopefully get them to stop?

Did you talk to the landlord or property manager yet?
I think even if the police would get involved, they would ask you to do that first.

Why don't you politely ask your neighbour to stop. If he doesn't stop then speak to the ppty manager.

Regarding your suggestions:

- Property Manager: I saw the super walking passed the window, nod his head and walk away. I'm not sure he'd do anything
- Asking neighbour: I'd likely get the finger. On weekends he has a whole operation going on in there with concert type lights and everything. It seems like he has a lot invested into this.

Calling the cops seems like the only measure that will have any effect. I'm just wondering if he's allowed by law to make noise during the day.

On the bright side, at least you're not hearing it inside your unit. I would go nuts! Calling the police seems a little excessive. They have better things to do....You should talk to him directly or slip a note under his door if you want to avoid confrontation. Property Management may help too. You can't just assume that no one will do anything and just call the cops...

I live next door to a bunch of guys who are in a band together and practice in their apartment. I would never know it though, because they have an agreement whereby they practice Monday, Wednesday, and Friday in the early afternoon. At this time most people are at work, but by limiting their activity to pre-determined times people who don't work 9-5 can schedule their sleep and activities around it.

Perhaps suggest that rather than having to give up his drumming, that he could perhaps limit it?

One of my best friends is a drummer and he practices in his apartment (a bachelor) 1-2 hrs per day. It's an upscale building and management allows it although he did have a conflict with a new neighbour below him about a year or so ago who worked shift hours so they worked out a schedule so that he could practice when she wasn't trying to sleep. If I lived below or near that kind of noise that I think I'd end up in a straight jacket!

^ I seriously wouldn't want to go to his show. If at least he was any good, I might not be complaining.

I know calling the cops sounds excessive but they're the only ones that can enforce anything. I know they have better things to do which is why I'm debating what to do.

Start with the building manager or super. As someone already mentioned, this will give you some credibility with the cops. They won't be happy to be involved if you haven't made your own reasonable efforts first. Document who you speak to and what happens, and try it at least twice. If no improvement results, then try the cops.

... then dead racoons at their doorstep it is :p

I read the bylaw but I'm not entirely sure one can disturb the peace and get away with it. It's not reasonable noise. There are alternatives such as renting a studio or padding their suite to prevent disturbing the neighbours.

I'm pretty sure I can't go to a park and turn on air horn that would prevent hundreds of people from enjoying the park.

Have you not asked the guy yet? It's really a rather good idea to do that. Why would you call the cops before even asking him to stop or discussing alternatives? You might think that he won't care about your opinion, but maybe he would. In that case, go to the super or manager. And if they can't help with anything, then you could at least tell the cops you tried to resolve the situation. If you ask me, a much better solution than possibly getting a person who wouldn't have any problem with your problem in trouble with the police or at least escalating the problem and involving the police.

Back