News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 637     0 

Need Job Help....

Cooool

Member Bio
Reaction score
So I'm a student in Universtiy and during the summer I work for the City of Mississauga as a student employee and it pays well, but it's the worst job ever. I spend most days there hating life. Not only that, but it provides no experience for the "real" job world.

I was wondering what job would be realistically attainable for next summer that would help me gain experience for a job market that is a little more corporate?

Thanks.

Don't worry, someone from the City of Mississauga might come across this thread and ensure you won't have to worry about being employed there any longer.

Its a summer job at a municipality, so you're making, what, $15-19 an hour, with o/t and the like?

Your average uni student these days, if they can find it, is making $10 an hour as someone in retail or $5 an hour plus tips as a server.

I'd say suck it up and work.

Use this job as a good reminder that staying in school getting a degree and a real job
is the key to your happyness

How many crappy summer jobs did I do?

Meat cutting factory
Digging pools
Slave for construction company

All reminded me to stay in uni and get a freakin career because these slave jobs/crapy jobs ruin your happyness

I would start looking for next summer in January/Feb. Try a financial place like a Bank or Insurance Company or something to that effect

So when I apply to a real job, my only experience will be using a weed eater and planting flowers? Trust me, I am forever grateful that I have a job in which I stay active and make decent money, but I have to stay one step ahead if I want to be employed right out of school.

So when I apply to a real job, my only experience will be using a weed eater and planting flowers? Trust me, I am forever grateful that I have a job in which I stay active and make decent money, but I have to stay one step ahead if I want to be employed right out of school.

You are not wrong to think that, because even if you do have an education... you will still need experience in the field to land that perfect job. As ESPNguy said, try banks! TD likes hiring students in their branches and they are very flexible with hours.

Don't just 'suck it up and work' as some here have suggested. Go for something that will help you out in the end.

Back