News   Apr 24, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 639     0 

Nathan Phillips Square Homeless Issue

Last edited:
I haven't walked through the Square at night in simply ages, but I'm going to have to check it out now - before condovoodoo gets his way and none of us can go there except at prescribed times.

Really like Graphic Matt's blog.

But yeah, Nads Gone Bad, and condevu(whatever his name is) sound like a bunch of spineless right-wing nuts who regurgitates the nonsense they read in the Sun. I have yet to met a right-wing nut who isn't afraid of something, or doesn't complains about something.

Thanks for assuming. How am I spineless exactly? I have given plenty of money to homeless people over the years and still do. In the early 90s, when my dad had Blue Jays seasons tickets, he used to give me a dollar or two and tell me to give them to one of the various homeless people we saw outside the Dome after a game. I actually have a lot of compassion for the homeless, however, I don't think it's the duty of the wealthy to look after them, simply because they have more money. If they are mentally ill or disabled, then I have no problem being taxed if it will help them.

If you guys are going to flame each other you might as well just stop bothering to reply because all it does is make you and your position look bad.

That being said, I would like to say that addiction is a serious issue that doesn't get proper recognition as a true mental illness. If it were up to me I would legalize these drugs which would take the money and control out of the hands of the dealers. Addicts are victims and our current justice system does nothing except keep them in a position where they can be constantly exploited. Money saved from enforcement of these laws can be plowed into support programs. I believe any fears of legalizing these drugs are largely unfounded based on the historical evidence provided by the last attempt to prohibit an addictive substance in the early part of the 20th century.

The square is not meant for sleeping, in boxes, in tents, on benches, whatever. That is an abuse of public space and while that continues to occur on a nightly basis, attempts at beautification are ridiculous bordering on obscene.

I can't think of any logical reason why renovation of the Square shouldn't continue. It has continued while the local employed community, and tourists from elsewhere, visit the Square, it has continued while hundreds of happily employed people scrawl Jack Layton graffiti messages everywhere, and the presence of the homeless at night isn't preventing renovations by day either. Civic places always reflect social evolution - the interiors of English cathedrals and churches were used as livestock markets in the Middle Ages, for instance, and when the Square was designed in the 1950s it would have been unimaginable that such a thing as "Gay Pride" would exist let alone inspire a flag-raising on the podium of City Hall, and I think we have to see the present "misuse" of the Square in such a light, given the tremendous changes that our city has seen in recent years. In fact, I can't think of a better place for city politicians and the body politic in general to be confronted with issues of growing poverty and homelessness than on the doorstep of the seat of local government. I think the instincts of the homeless are absolutely right in being so visible exactly where they are. Good for them.

I can't think of any logical reason why renovation of the Square shouldn't continue. It has continued while the local employed community, and tourists from elsewhere, visit the Square, it has continued while hundreds of happily employed people scrawl Jack Layton graffiti messages everywhere, and the presence of the homeless at night isn't preventing renovations by day either. Civic places always reflect social evolution - the interiors of English cathedrals and churches were used as livestock markets in the Middle Ages, for instance, and when the Square was designed in the 1950s it would have been unimaginable that such a thing as "Gay Pride" would exist let alone inspire a flag-raising on the podium of City Hall, and I think we have to see the present "misuse" of the Square in such a light, given the tremendous changes that our city has seen in recent years. In fact, I can't think of a better place for city politicians and the body politic in general to be confronted with issues of growing poverty and homelessness than on the doorstep of the seat of local government. I think the instincts of the homeless are absolutely right in being so visible exactly where they are. Good for them.

I totally agree and if I was homeless, I'd do the same bloody thing too.

This really is much ado about nothing. I can't remember a single newsworthy incident involving homeless people in the square, is it really an issue? Are a couple of sleeping homeless guys really interfering with peoples' ability to enjoy the place at 3 in the damn morning? With all the "social contracts" that are broken by members of all levels of society on a daily basis, this hardly seems the most egregious...

I haven't walked through the Square at night in simply ages, but I'm going to have to check it out now - before condovoodoo gets his way and none of us can go there except at prescribed times.

Here's a few photos from this week that give a bit of an idea of what it's like in NPS at night. Click on the forward button for 4 or 5 more pics. Photos by my friend, the great Linda Dawn Hammond @ indyfoto.com -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawnone/6072808628/in/set-72157626370123947/lightbox/

Those people hardly look crazed or dangerous to me. Just poor, homeless and doing the best they can under dire circumstances.

Agreed 100%, and even if it wasn't to send a message, the homeless have fricking right to the PUBLIC SPACE. It's public for a reason, everyone gets to use it.

Those people hardly look crazed or dangerous to me. Just poor, homeless and doing the best they can under dire circumstances.

I bet Mammolitti thinks otherwise about all those Jack Layton memorial visitors.

Agreed 100%, and even if it wasn't to send a message, the homeless have fricking right to the PUBLIC SPACE. It's public for a reason, everyone gets to use it.

They don't have the right to sleep in public spaces though. A bench isn't meant to be used as a bed. If I were to sleep on a bench in the city, wearing regular clothing and a cop passed me, I'd be asked to leave.

They don't have the right to sleep in public spaces though. A bench isn't meant to be used as a bed. If I were to sleep on a bench in the city, wearing regular clothing and a cop passed me, I'd be asked to leave.
Probably not. I often see people napping in the park. I've never seen the police bothering them (and our park is regularly patrolled by mounted police).

Back