News   May 03, 2024
 18     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 812     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 233     0 

Name places in Toronto where we need these...

i know it might be preservation heresy.....but
cover the moat/teamway in front of union station and put a pavilion and outdoor cafe on either side.
i have a feeling they would be heavily used.
and give the feeling of a real square there...instead of just attracting pigeons.

I'd like to see Temperance St. between Bay & Yonge closed and enclose the whole street with a glass galleria. Cafes, artists, flower vendors, etc. could fill the space. All those office workers would be able to come up from their subterranean food courts and have a nice lunch in the sun. You could even extend it over Yonge and hook it up with the Arcade Mall across the street. You would then have a seamless enclosed space from Victoria to Bay.

Dundas Square definetly, nathan Philips Squre perhaps?? Oh, and Mel Lastman Square, North York really needs more cafes

I'd like to see this across from the AGO.

Im thinking somewhere in Liberty Village or even down by the CNE or maybe Sunnyside since there are not any decent cafes in that area.

These type of cafes are more of a European trend since take-out coffee is rare thing there.Away maybe from the UK there is no where in Europe where a Tim Hortons would most likley make it.
Unless of course they got rid of the Bunn-O-Matic for the Gaggia/Cimbali.

Last edited:
Tim's in Old Blighty. Now, *there's* an inspired concept. Maybe we can open this up in TLS before long...

The problem with these in Toronto is that they're dismantled and deserted in the winter, left to collect dirty snowdrifts. They don't do much to animate the street if it's not patio weather outside. ....cafes and outdoor patios are abandoned and do nothing more than remind people how much they wish it was summer.
In addition to uselessness in winter, our weak approach to vagrant-loitering and begging will mean that anyone sitting at such a patio will likely have to run the gauntlet of beggars when they sit down.

In addition to uselessness in winter, our weak approach to vagrant-loitering and begging will mean that anyone sitting at such a patio will likely have to run the gauntlet of beggars when they sit down.

May work for eight months of the year here.March/April-October/November
Regarding beggars they exist in every big city,i guess you have to live to ignore them.

Regarding beggars they exist in every big city,i guess you have to live to ignore them.
I disagree. I've sat in open patios in New York City and didn't see a single beggar. They might be the exception though, since more left-leaning cities like Seattle have a huge problem with beggars.

I disagree. I've sat in open patios in New York City and didn't see a single beggar. They might be the exception though, since more left-leaning cities like Seattle have a huge problem with beggars.

Thats in New York City where even a down and out person can get a job as a dog walker for $400/wk.Hauling a couple of garbage pails to the curb on p/up day twice a week for someone will get you $150.That just doesnt happen here in poor strapped TO.

Back