237     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Nail Houses

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Google Sightseeing has an interesting post up about nail houses, those homes that have refused to be removed in the face of large developments. Do we have any nail houses here in the Greater Toronto Area?

U. S. example:
nail%2Bhouse%2B-%2BSeattle.JPG
ajdt264-atrb.jpg

China example:
Chongqing_yangjiaping_2007.jpg

Last edited:
For new developments most of the examples we have are for structures that were deemed historically protectable (I'm thinking of the Ballet School, James M. Cooper Mansion, 80/100 Yorkville, etc) although in two of those examples the structures were moved to accommodate new construction. There are a couple holdouts though; the New World laundromat on Parliament is one example, and I suspect something similar happened with the Gerstein Centre and X.

there's no point to resisting in China! the sad fact there is that the compensation offered in such cases is nowhere near market value. So your choice is to take little and move or end up with nothing. At least in Canada property owners are offered market value as a minimum... and we dont see the aggressive tactics by developers shown in the picture above.

I think some of the closest things we have to "nail houses" in Toronto are the farmhouses and old schoolhouses that sit on the fringe of Toronto's suburban developments, surrounded by graded and/or excavated land. There's one at Downtown Markham, and I've also noticed one at Kennedy and Major Mack.

there's no point to resisting in China!

Sometimes there is resistance, but only if there is enough people to stand up to the government/developers. There have been hundreds of riots in China over the past few years due to land disputes between government/developers and locals threatened with relocation. Many of these riots don't make it to the news here in the West.

Last edited:
there's no point to resisting in China! the sad fact there is that the compensation offered in such cases is nowhere near market value. So your choice is to take little and move or end up with nothing. At least in Canada property owners are offered market value as a minimum... and we dont see the aggressive tactics by developers shown in the picture above.
Hmmm... The going rate was Y1672 per square foot. At today's exchange rate, that works out to about US$245 per sq. ft.

One of Toronto's most legendary "nail houses" was a tumbledown shack on Holly St just south of Eglinton: then the old lady who lived there died c1990 and it was quickly replaced by a condo.

Plenty of Church/Wellesley apartment-zone stuff would count as nail-housey in some form or another...

Not sure if this qualifies according to the criteria, but there's a solitary, nicely-preserved house on the east side of McCaul between Elm and Orde Sts, amid a sea of parking lots and the Silverstein's Bakery building to the south. I can't recall, but it may be a commercial property. In any case, it's the only vestige of the former residential character of that side of McCaul.

Not sure if this qualifies according to the criteria, but there's a solitary, nicely-preserved house on the east side of McCaul between Elm and Orde Sts, amid a sea of parking lots and the Silverstein's Bakery building to the south. I can't recall, but it may be a commercial property. In any case, it's the only vestige of the former residential character of that side of McCaul.

This is the house spoonman. I've always liked this place. The story as I remember it is, there were 3 or 4 houses on this site and they were purchased by a high profile lawyer who wanted to tear them all down and create a parking lot but the city wouldn't let him demolish this one.

mccaul.jpg

This is the house spoonman. I've always liked this place. The story as I remember it is, there were 3 or 4 houses on this site and they were purchased by a high profile lawyer who wanted to tear them all down and create a parking lot but the city wouldn't let him demolish this one.

That's the one - thanks for the photo. It really is in wonderful shape, notwithstanding a bit of patina here and there. Anybody know if it's a residence or a commercial property, and assuming the latter, who the tenant is? (although I can't see any signage in the photo)

Not a GTA example. But this building, the Last Tenement House, is one of the three or so non-institutional buildings that survived the wholesale destruction of the West End neighbourhood in Boston in the 50s, regarded by many as one of the greatest mistakes in the history of Boston and the policy of urban renewal.

2691094719_b15f087257.jpg

Last edited:
My photo of the house at 207 McCaul has a sign that says, rather intriguingly, "Prothemium Institute". I note that it is no longer called that, but I think it must remain used as office space ...

Completed 1875, on the Inventory of Heritage Properties.

Back