News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 878     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 2.8K     4 

Municipal Races in the 905

Re: Municipal Race in Miss.

^ Awfully hard to pin anything at all on her. She's one of the most politically astute people you'll ever meet.

The worst that can be said of her is her reputation as the "Queen of Sprawl", years ago. She has neatly defused it by readily admitting it and detailing how she has, sincerely, changed her spots.

Re: Municipal Race in Miss.

I remember Mississauga News did criticize Hazel on the separation from Peel issue. They supported the idea but criticized the way Hazel went about it. Also, Mississauga News is owned by the Toronto Star, which is often very critical of her.

Re: Municipal Race in MISSISSAUGA CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSE

ganjavih asked:

Has the Mississauga News ever had anything critical about Hazel in it? It really seems like a City Hall mouthpiece.

John Stewart tries to tell is like it is -given umm...constraints by which I mean The Mississauga News is as you pointed out, "a City Hall mouthpiece."

It gets worse.

Example. In today's Star:

City on verge of adulthood

It's about The City of Toronto Act and how it gives Toronto:

new powers include the ability to make many decisions faster and without provincial approval, the ability to tax such things as booze, cigarettes and movie tickets, and an increase in the mayor's influence over the budget and other decisions.

Also coming up the tubes is Bill 130 that will give municipalities much more power as well.

Quoting again from that Star article:

"With the authority comes the responsibility and a greater level of accountability," Municipal Affairs and Housing Minister John Gerretsen said last week in an interview.

And what does Gerretsen mean by "greater accountability"?

Why the bill "allows municipalities to appoint an investigator or ombudsman. The appointee could even be an employee of the municipality."

Hire and fire their own "ombudsman". HAHAHAHAHA! Seriously. How CONTEMPTUOUS is that of the public?

And get this.

Additional powers conferred on municipalities through the bill include broader enforcement abilities, such as authority to set fines for bylaw offences and administrative powers of entry to determine bylaw compliance regarding dwelling units.

Enforcement officers with greater/broader powers --including powers of entry!

And municipal enforcement officers (unlike police) have no civilian oversight! It's not even possible to lodge a complaint against them. Zero accountability.

And yes, it can still be worse.

Also in The Star today.

Growing fear of Big Brother

Americans, Canadians leery about government intrusions
Nov. 13, 2006. 11:56 AM
TRACEY TYLER
STAFF REPORTER

In the aftermath of Sept. 11th, governments believe people are worried. And they are - about laws meant to protect them.

A new study by researchers at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont. found that almost half of Canadians and even more Americans find new laws aimed at protecting national security intrusive.

Not only is BIG BROTHER "intrusive", ganjavih, BIG MUNICIPAL BROTHER has Zero Accountability mechanisms in place --and I'm not making this up.

BIG MUNICIPAL BROTHER (far less training than police --essentially glorified security guards) with more power including powers of entry. For me that ranks second on the Scary-Scale.

#1 on the Scary-Scale?

We have a Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing who maintains that "With the authority comes the responsibility and a greater level of accountability".

Can't decide whether someone who makes/believes that "With the authority comes the responsibility and a greater level of accountability" is a:

FRAUD

1 a : DECEIT, TRICKERY; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right b : an act of deceiving or misrepresenting

or:

CLUELESS

1 : having or providing no clue <a clueless case for the police to solve>

Signed,
The (NUTS! I can't find the JAWS da-dum-da-dum music online!) Mississauga Muse

Louroz, isn't doing too well. I'm sorry Louroz, you deserved better.

Iannicca has 75% to Louroz's 25% :(

Louroz, isn't doing too well. I'm sorry Louroz, you deserved better.

Louroz, you had my vote! With your energy and optimism it's only a matter of time.

Anyway, why people would want two Ianniccas in the same ward is beyond me.

A quarter of the vote is quite respectable, I don't know why anyone would suggest otherwise. Congrats, FM... best of luck in the future.

Congratulations Louroz! I promise to arrange my life differently next time, so I can be at your victory party.

Todays' John Stewart BLOG a MUST READ for Mississaugans

November 16, 2006
Election leftovers

It wasn’t your imagination. That was the dirtiest campaign Mississauga has seen in a long time, according to many of the participants.
Take it from veteran campaigners like Maja Prentice, first elected in 1985, who Monday night called it “very naughty. Last time was dirty and it was dirty again this time,†the Ward 3 councillor said at her victory party.
Pat Saito had all of her large signs along Winston Churchill Blvd. pulled down by vandals just in time for election day. She’s filed a report with Peel Regional Police.
“This has definitely been one of the nastier campaigns,†she says. “It is really a shame that this type of dirty politics has come to Mississauga. I guess we have been fortunate to not have experienced it more in the past but it does make me wonder what kind of ethics some of the candidates have this time around.â€
Of course, lots of the challengers have similar complaints about incumbents. The tone of this campaign was definitely uncivil, for a civic election.
By the way, Carolyn Parrish, who won in Ward 6, insists she was not responsible for the “dirty drop†that her chief rival, Ron Starr, complained about on election night. Someone photocopied old newspaper clippings about the charges brought against Starr by the Ontario Provincial Police, which were later dropped by the courts, and stuffed them in mailboxes in selected areas of the ward. It did look like an amateur job, judging by the quality of the paper and the helpful highlighting, which was obviously done by hand.
Parrish was also the subject of a couple of nasty spot-drops.
It’s understandable if you didn’t recognize Brad MacDonald election night as he awaited election results at City Hall with his sons, 7 and 10, and his campaign manager. He didn’t look anything like his picture in The Toronto Star.
The newspaper accidentally printed a picture of the Ward 5 council candidate of the same name and spelling, in its election section. MacDonald, it turns out, was too busy campaigning to notice and missed the chance for a correction. Made no difference, as he cruised to a win.
One of his priorities is working with councillor Katie Mahoney to ensure that the branch library at Sheridan Mall, a lifeline to literacy for many of the immigrant students who live in the surrounding community, stays open.
Nominees in the “They Must be Kicking Themselves Now†category:
Rick Williams and Rick Falco: Either one might had a good chance of knocking off Eve Adams in Ward 5 if they’d found the gumption to run. Williams, the public trustee and Falco, who finished second to Adams in 2003, both decided to pass and may have missed their chance. Falco jumped wards and ran for Ward 6 Catholic trustee, finishing second. Williams was re-elected to the public board.
It will be a long four years for them, but maybe not as long as the four years Adams will spend under the withering icy, isolating glare of the Queen of Scowl.
What if you spent most of the campaign period in the hospital, quit the campaign half-way through and still collected more votes than five other candidates? That’s what Gordon Clarkson managed in finishing a still-very-respectable second in the Ward 1 council race.
Finally, Monday night may have marked the last appearance covering a Mississauga event for Toronto Star reporter Mike Funston, who has been on the municipal beat here since he joined The Star in 1977. He will be working on a variety of projects for the paper’s special sections.
Mike and I spent far too many hours together at the press desk at City Hall over the years speculating on vote counts, futilely trying to pin down Hazel’s best-before-date and waiting for interminable in-camera sessions to end. The glory days of the Mississauga bureau and Mike’s experienced hand will be greatly missed.

I read sadness and loss in John's words. Still.

Man that John Stewart can WRITE!

Feast your eyes on this sentence again!

It will be a long four years for them, but maybe not as long as the four years Adams will spend under the withering icy, isolating glare of the Queen of Scowl.

"withering icy, isolating glare" --WOW! That's even better than when John Stewart once described The Corporation's actions as:

"punitive and vengeful "

I've only been paying attention to municipal governance since early June and get this. I can't for the LIFE of me, understand why people think it's "boring".

Researching The Corporation is --well, it's like reading a fascinating Who-Dun-It-Whos-gonna-do-it-Whos-it-Getting-Done-to-by-Whom. And the most amazing part is NONE of it is as it appears.

That's why the Mayor's November 11th gala was so remarkable in that the theme was "Wizard of Oz". I mean can you think of anything more perfect and ironic?

Wizard of Oz --Nothing and no one being What or Where or Who it seems!

I can't WAIT for the first council meeting November 29th --if nothing else, it's historic what with the two additonal faces.

And I bet, at those meetings, The Wizard of Oz'ness will continue!

I swear, I'm half-expecting that after the traditional council-opening of the Lord's Prayer, council doors will FLINNNNNG OPEN and:

79772JOqn_w.jpg

I tell you. I'm one intrigued, addicted reader!

MISSIS-SAGA is just one amazing BOOK!

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

Re: Todays' John Stewart BLOG a MUST READ for Mississaugans

The whole zoning/minor variance discussion on page 1 had some *slight* inaccuracies.

Minor variances are decided at the Committee of Adjustment, which is appointed by Council and can be made up of both councillors and unelected citizens. Municipal planners will usually recommend approval or denial. Anyone can show up and speak for or against, and the proponent and opponents will often hire planners to speak for them. Council has no say and neither does the local councillor unless they happen to be on the Committee.

A rezoning is different. To qualify for a minor variance, the change has to be considered minor and desirable and has to meet the intent of the zoning and the official plan (yup, that's pretty subjective, and that's why so many end up at the OMB). Anything beyond that has to go through a rezoning. That's more involved and is decided at Council. It's true that Council can change the zoning of your property, but it's not retroactive. If they change the zoning of a business to residential, it becomes legal non-conforming and can still be used as a business. It can even be expanded.

As for whether councillors matter, of course they do! As far as land use planning goes, Council makes the final decision on site plans, rezonings, official plan amendments, condominiums, and subdivisions. The Committee of Adjustment makes the decisions on more mundane stuff like minor variances and severances. The bureaucrats just make the recommendations.

Might as well throw in results from my part of the province. In Cobourg, incumbent Peter Delanty won with 53% of the vote. In Peterborough, incumbent Sylvia Sutherland retired and Paul Ayotte won a wide open race with 49% of the vote.

The election that was, and what's next (Toronto Star)

The election that was, and what's next
Nov. 20, 2006. 01:00 AM
ROYSON JAMES
Let's take one last look at the 2006 municipal vote that shook up the 905 regions but barely registered in Toronto.

Know when to go: In a year when Joyce Savoline (Halton Region chair) left on her own terms, and other mayors, such as Bill Bell (Richmond Hill), Don Cousens (Markham) and Rob MacIsaac (Burlington), retired, Oakville's Ann Mulvale should have heeded the signs and quit before she lost at the polls.

But politicians are like star athletes, drunk on power or adulation or the idea of invincibility. Or is it self-confidence? The intoxication often blinds them to the reality that they are long past their "Best Before" date and they ... stay too long. Term limits anyone?

Nice of Mr. Royson to make such an observation regarding politicians, but he seems to forget that the identical thing " drunk on power or adulation or the idea of invincibility" can be said about high level municipal bureaucrats.

I know for example that the City Manager is the second-most powerful person in Mississauga --second only to the mayor.

Meaning City Manager (appointed offiicial) outranks ALL councillors (elected officials) --ALL of them.

Robson writes:

The (power) intoxication often blinds them to the reality that they are long past their "Best Before" date and they ... stay too long. Term limits anyone?

What? Term limits for elected officials and NOT high level bureaucrats? Jeez at least mayor and councillor are forced to undergo the pretense of being accountable to the publc by having to face an election every thre...four years.

The Robson article continues:

`You don't want to be trapped in there with some weirdo. Some people come to the door with just their undershorts on.'

Newly elected Mississauga councillor Carolyn Parrish, on campaigning door to door

Hazel's heiress? For someone pegged to follow in Hazel McCallion's aging footsteps, maverick Carolyn Parrish didn't blow away the competition in Mississauga's Ward 6. The former MP, who got tossed from the Paul Martin government, polled 49 per cent of the vote, the second-lowest plurality in Mississauga.

One explanation is that this was a ward with no incumbent and seven challengers. But Parrish does have work to do to rise above the other long-time pretenders to Hazel's crown.

I'm still very new to observing municipal-governance in Mississauga. Anyone know who Robson is referring regarding "long-time pretenders to Hazel's crown"?

Re: The election that was, and what's next (Toronto Star)

Another explanation for Parrish's "poor" showing is that she had a serious chief competitor: former councillor Ron Starr.

In a way, it was Mississauga's version of Vaughan vs Kennedy...

Re: The election that never was

Royson James is an idiot. What standard is he using? The approval rating of the mayor for life? (Mayor's race is a mere formality, like the 99 percent approval rating that Saddam got in his elections, or the elections in Soviet Russia. Maybe if Hazel actually had real competition, her 80-something percent votes wouldn't be so impressive.

Adma: You're right about Parrish and her vote count in Ward 6, it was the only ward in Miss. that had a real competition to speak of. It was also being viewed by some at least as a dry run for the mayoralty race next time. It's no secret at all that Parrish wants to be mayor, and Starr's name has also been mentioned seriously.

SP: For better or worse no one credible wants to challenge McCallion, as they would lose. Unfortunate? Perhaps; depends on your point of view. There is a reason she's been there a long time, and it's not that others are sleeping. Mayors who are perceived not to be doing the job actually can be knocked off (see Oakville and Vaughan).

Muse: Possibilities for mayor of Miss. "post Hazel" -- this is pure speculation, but speculation is fun. As mentioned already Carolyn Parrish clearly wants the job. Steve Mahoney's name has been mentioned repeatedly, as has Ron Starr. If one of those two runs, the other one won't; they are good friends. Other names (less likely): Pat Mullin (Ward 2 councillor), Maja Prentice (Ward 3 councillor).

George Carlson (Ward 11 councillor) may be an outside possibility, but only if by some chance Parrish doesn't run. He wouldn't run against her, they are close allies.

Thanks for the insight, Observer Walt

You wrote:

It's no secret at all that Parrish wants to be mayor, and Starr's name has also been mentioned seriously.

The Mississauga News had this to say about Starr:

Starr is a successful businessman who sat on City Council in the early days after amalgamation. He has an impressive history of community involvement and political appointments, and strong ties to the “old guard†in the city.

Starr is conversant with the issues and has the wherewithal to deal with them. If you like the status quo, he is your man.

"old guard" "status quo" --no thanks.

SP: For better or worse no one credible wants to challenge McCallion, as they would lose. Unfortunate? Perhaps; depends on your point of view. There is a reason she's been there a long time, and it's not that others are sleeping. Mayors who are perceived not to be doing the job actually can be knocked off (see Oakville and Vaughan).

Interesting your use of "perceived" --because so much of anything political is perception. The question I keep asking is what is Mississauga really like?

It is my perception that absolutely no one in the media is paying attention to accountability --the media simply accepts what The Corporation says as fact.

Not only is no one asking the hard questions --it is my perception that no one is asking questions, period. I'd like to see the Ontario Ombudsman poke around in the Corporate bowels and see what he can flush out.

Sunlight disinfects they say... as do Ombudsmen.

pest-control-spray-copyright4.gif

Muse: Possibilities for mayor of Miss. "post Hazel" -- this is pure speculation, but speculation is fun. As mentioned already Carolyn Parrish clearly wants the job. Steve Mahoney's name has been mentioned repeatedly, as has Ron Starr. If one of those two runs, the other one won't; they are good friends. Other names (less likely): Pat Mullin (Ward 2 councillor), Maja Prentice (Ward 3 councillor).

That'd be fun Steve Mahoney as Mayor and his wife as councillor... especially if you live in Ward 8. You essentially have a councillor PLUS the Mayor representing you and your ward!

What has surprised me about your mayor-to-be lineup is you didn't mention Nando Iannicca or Pat Saito who the Mississauga News says:

In Ward 9, incumbent Pat Saito, arguably the strongest representative on council, is in a race with, arguably, the strongest contender in this municipal election.

Saito has an impressive record of grass roots representation. She's responsive to the needs of her constituents, unafraid to take an unpopular stand and is considered a hard worker. She might not be the most popular councillor in the minds of staff, but she does right by the residents of Ward 9.

As for Iannicca, I just can't conceive of him not running for mayor. Or am I missing something?

Signed,
The (But then again, I often miss something...) Mississauga Muse

Back