News   Apr 25, 2024
 351     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Moving to Toronto - Costs?

Ears

Member Bio
Reaction score
Im moving to Toronto next summer, fresh out of university. I have no job lined up there, so for the first few (jobless) months, Ill be surviving on whatever I have saved. Ive got a house lined up at 600 a months, but other than that, I have no clue of the day to day costs of the city. Im wondering if anyone can give me a general idea of how much money I should have on hand when I move there to live comfortably (shopping cheap, going on once a week, seeing some sights etc). Im hoping on finding a job within a couple months, but I'd like to be able to afford to go uneployed for up to 4 (Just to be on the safe side)

Any advice would be welcome guys,
Thanks

Need a little bit more information.

Do you have a car, where are you living, etc?

Groceries in the core are significantly more expensive, however, if you live close to places like Chinatown and Kensington that isn't true since the local markets there have wicked deals.

I think it is safe to say that since he is paying $600 a month to rent a house.....any trips into Downtown should include a considerable commute cost!!!! ;)

Im moving to Toronto next summer, fresh out of university. I have no job lined up there, so for the first few (jobless) months, Ill be surviving on whatever I have saved. Ive got a house lined up at 600 a months, but other than that, I have no clue of the day to day costs of the city. Im wondering if anyone can give me a general idea of how much money I should have on hand when I move there to live comfortably (shopping cheap, going on once a week, seeing some sights etc). Im hoping on finding a job within a couple months, but I'd like to be able to afford to go uneployed for up to 4 (Just to be on the safe side)

Any advice would be welcome guys,
Thanks

single highest cost is cost of shelter. If you got that covered for a mere 600/month. Everything else in Toronto are comparably, believe it or not, cheaper than smaller Canadian cities. Especaily resturants and entertainment, but those you need to take some time figuring out.

If you ride the bus, or have a paid off car, you can survive in Toronto on a 600 dollar/month rent for 1600 a month without ever cooking a meal at home. Yes, you heard me. If you eat out everyday, 3 meals a day, you can survive for 1600 a month. That's including 50 bucks every week for going out and another 150-200 bucks/month discretionary expenditures.

The only thing I worry about is exactly what your 600 dollar housing is going to look ilke. Hopefully it's acceptable to you.

Maybe someone who actaully cooks can tell you what it cost to shop for groceries. And when it comes to groceries, there are a number of Chinese owned/operated supermarkets located across Toronto. Prices in there are usually cheaper than other comparable supermarkets like Loblaws and etc. By how much? I have no clue.

I think it is safe to say that since he is paying $600 a month to rent a house.....any trips into Downtown should include a considerable commute cost!!!! ;)

As long as he's still in Toronto. $110 bucks a month will cover that part. And when he said a house, I'm assuming a room in the basement. Or a second bedroom in an for rent apartment. Or it could be student housing right out side of York University's Keele campus, which btw, would be the best bang for the 600 bucks.

Last edited:
well, a bag of rice costs around $12-14. That should last a month. Pasta is cheap too. Sometimes there's sales on hot dogs 2pk/$5 or 3pk/$5, hamburgers and fruits. China town has good deals on fruits and vegetables sometimes. Last time I bought 3 pints of strawberries for $1. On sale was also 3 guava for $1. For cheap groceries, there's walmart, zellers (10% discount with SPC card), no frills and price chopper. Zellers also price matches as well, so you can just bring a flyer and get 10% more discount with SPC.

I should mention I am somewhat downtown. I have the cost quite low because Im living with 2 other people. I hope to save some money because I cook all my own meals as well (fitness nut, strict nutrition). Thanks to everyone so far.... quick comments. Im hoping to have 6k by the time I get there. (working around graduating year classes.... not so easy)

If your near downtown, definitely Chinatown or Kensington Market for good prices on healthy food like fruits, vegetables, meat, nuts, fish etc. Supermakret prices vary by store but they're generally no more expensive than out of town markets. No Frills & Price Chopper are good if your near one. If your somewhat central, invest in a cheap bike with a good lock, knapsack and helmet to get around. It may not be your thing come wintertime but it's a great way to get around in the spring, summer and fall. Saves on TTC fare much of the time and it's great exercise.

I should mention I am somewhat downtown. I have the cost quite low because Im living with 2 other people. I hope to save some money because I cook all my own meals as well (fitness nut, strict nutrition). Thanks to everyone so far.... quick comments. Im hoping to have 6k by the time I get there. (working around graduating year classes.... not so easy)

You might not last past 4 months with 6k unless you bike.

$600/m food+entertainment (avg $20/day)
$600/m rent

$1200*5m=$6000

If you have to buy the metropass, you will last 4 months.

Hahha, no city. All my life I lived outside a village of 500, and the last 3 years a town of ~6000. East coast life at its best

I think you'll find Toronto dirt cheap in comparison to where you've been living then. Food, either restaurant or groceries are quite inexpensive (follow the above advice about Chinatown, etc.), and drink is also cheap - lots of places downtown with $4martini's, $10 pitchers of beer, etc. Tons of free entertainment all the time and if you're just unemployed, then you won't need to use the TTC at all. I work downtown and think I might spend $25/month on transportation because the city is so walkable and safe. Welcome to your new home!

Wow. Quite a change.

Don't sweat it if people don't initially seem friendly in comparison to those villages/towns. There can be 500 people at Yonge/Dundas square alone, and that's just one block. Some of the street festivals get hundreds of thousands or more. Too many people to be uber friendly to everyone.

For transportation, TTC will be fine, or you could consider getting a bicycle... along with two beefy locks.

Yeah and you can always pick up some retail/cashier job to tide you over a little while you search for another job. No big deal there.

Back