News   Mar 28, 2024
 164     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Movie Theatres in Toronto - Old and New

They just put an IMAX screen in there last summer or last fall

The Empire Theaters at Empress Walk is closing down! Apparently the last day for them will be Thursday March 21, 2013.

That's terrible! So now there won't be any movie theatres in downtown North York? That area already has few options for entertainment, so losing this is a real shame. I would have thought the population there would be big enough to support a movie theatre.

That's terrible! So now there won't be any movie theatres in downtown North York? That area already has few options for entertainment, so losing this is a real shame. I would have thought the population there would be big enough to support a movie theatre.

Yonge-Sheppard Centre still has its theatres.

What's replacing it ??? Or is it just going to sit empty.

I don't know what's happening to the complex but I'm pretty sure films won't be shown there again. Because there are so many screens close by it's hard to get the films and show a profit with Cineplex Odeon dominating the area. The Sheppard Grande complex is practically across the street and Fairview cinemas are a few miles east.

I don't know what's happening to the complex but I'm pretty sure films won't be shown there again. Because there are so many screens close by it's hard to get the films and show a profit with Cineplex Odeon dominating the area. The Sheppard Grande complex is practically across the street and Fairview cinemas are a few miles east.

Yea but we heard the one at Sheppard would close too ... at least a little while ago ?

That's a big space to fill, I really wonder what they'll do.

Apparently Cineplex will be taking over Empress Walk, moving from their current location at Sheppard Centre. Probably take a couple months to renovate and re-open. This is good news as I love the Empress location, very convenient.

An interesting side-note is the CEO of RioCan, the company that manages both Empress and Sheppard Centre properties, also sits on the board for Cineplex. Just speculating, but maybe they squeezed Empire out during lease negotiations. I guess the old Cineplex will be refurbished for retail, maybe even lead to a revitalization of that depressing old-looking mall. God knows it could use a makeover.

Ah good good ! I wouldn't mind the one at Sheppard closing.

Its just fumy, they used to own both :)

Apparently Cineplex will be taking over Empress Walk, moving from their current location at Sheppard Centre. Probably take a couple months to renovate and re-open. This is good news as I love the Empress location, very convenient.

An interesting side-note is the CEO of RioCan, the company that manages both Empress and Sheppard Centre properties, also sits on the board for Cineplex. Just speculating, but maybe they squeezed Empire out during lease negotiations. I guess the old Cineplex will be refurbished for retail, maybe even lead to a revitalization of that depressing old-looking mall. God knows it could use a makeover.

Interesting. I've never been to either complex (Grande or Empress Walk) so I don't know which complex is better or more advantageous for Cineplex going forward. Empress Walk has an IMAX auditorium ("LIEMAX") that was just put in last summer or fall so that's a big plus for the Empress Walk location as those screens do terrific grosses.

Interesting. I've never been to either complex (Grande or Empress Walk) so I don't know which complex is better or more advantageous for Cineplex going forward. Empress Walk has an IMAX auditorium ("LIEMAX") that was just put in last summer or fall so that's a big plus for the Empress Walk location as those screens do terrific grosses.

I think everyone would agree the Empress Walk location is more desirable from a customer and a business perspective. The Empress Walk theatre is also accessed by North America's longest unsupported escalator, which is a bit of a fun ride on its own.

IMO, Rainbow Cinemas would seem to be an appropriate candidate for Sheppard Centre (not really a good thing).

Cineplex agrees to acquisition by U.K.-based Cineworld

Group offers to pay 42% premium for Canadian theatre chain

The Canadian Press · Posted: Dec 16, 2019 5:56 AM ET

Cineplex Inc. has agreed to a friendly takeover deal that values the operator of Canada's largest chain of movie theatres at $2.8 billion, including debt.

Cineworld Group PLC has agreed to pay $34 per share in cash, a 42 per cent premium to the closing price for Cineplex shares Friday.

Cineworld will also take on the debt owed by the Toronto-based company, which has 165 movie theatres across Canada.

"We believe this transaction today is both financially compelling and in our shareholders' best interest," Cineplex chief executive Ellis Jacob said in a statement.

If the deal gets approved by shareholders and regulators, Cineplex will become part of a global company listed on the London Stock Exchange.

The companies expect the transaction to close in the first half of 2020.

Back