News   Sep 26, 2024
 564     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 690     0 

MoveOntario 2020: what went wrong?

Ask the average man what he wants, and he'll tell you he wants a subway to his door. What an authority like Metrolinx has to do is take preferences into account and develop a plan.

They also have to keep their goals in mind. For a regional transport authority, you tell me how much regional transport will have improved, even if all of MO2020 had gone through? If they really were serious about their mandate and goal (and not about just being a chequebook for municipal authroties) the very first project to be finished woudl have been Presto across the board (including the TTC).

So you assume "the average man" is an idiot and anyone on the Metrolinx board won't be?
Then you say Metrolinx wasn't serious about fulfilling their mandate.

MO2020 was not Metrolinx's idea. They came up with "The Big Move", remember?

Actually, there was a time the board took their mandate seriously. There was going to be a robust discussion on tolls, taxes, private partnerships and other payment options. The Metrolinx board, composed of those pesky elected officials, was fired shortly after. The new appointed board is fulfilling their new mandate nicely though, not being a chequebook for municipal politicians, just being a chequebook for provincial politicians. Of course we don't really know what cheques they will deliver because as we are idiots, so we're not allowed to know what's going on or have any input.

Last edited:
Going back....................I did a typo. I meant to write $310 MILLION/ km not 3.1 billion. As I said any line that comes in at more than $200 million per km in the burbs is calmed palm greaing. Yes other cities are spending per km more like the Second Ave in NYC but that is downtown in a huge older city while Spadina is going thru a suburban wasteland.
Several reasons why TC failed. First therer were too many lines. When there are several lines it's easier to just cancel a few independently. Second, it takes Toronto years just to get things off the ground. When a line's funding is announced then shovels should be in the ground withing 6 months tops. Vancouver built it's 18km MLine in just 22 months from the announcement to opening day. Vancouver's light metro Canada Line started construction withing 3 months of announcement. Third build the entire line at once, the entire stretch and when roads are dug up for 37 km like Eglinton Pearson to Kingston there is no way of stopping it. Fourth. Bring in affordable costs and keep to them. When TC was announced the price was $6 billion and when the province announced a massive contribution by paying Toronto's portion all of the sudden the price skyrockets by 50%. That's not bad math but pure manipulation.

Only a short time ago, we had McGuinty telling us that the cost of doing nothing is higher than the cost of building this transit. Is that no longer true? Has GTA population stopped growing?

He was the one who had to delay any discussion of investment strategy to 2013.
We are still building transit, so I don't see how the comparitive cost of doing nothing fits in. The question needing to be asked is: "does the cost of not doing the full original TC outweigh the cost of doing the new reduced TC?" Am I disappointed, somewhat. Am I disappointed that McGuinty continued to persue transit funding after other factors restricted his ability to freely fund transit? No.

To make any investment strategy before 2013 is stupidity. The provincial-federal Health and Social Transfer pacts expire in 2013 (2014 with the extention), so the deficit, debt, and tax structure at that time is open for debate. 2010 and 2011 will be about "holding course" and "weathering the storm".

The issue to me is scale - at a fundamental level Metrolinx is beholden to the province, which frankly is not the level at which regional transit policies, much less the even more salient issues of funding and the methods by which to obtain them, should draw from. Transit is far too much of an urban (read Toronto) issue to compete with more provincially scaled ones like health and education for attention and funding. No one will cut those two given the relative importance of that to all Ontarians.

Besides, just how much provincial public money is spent on highway constructure outside the 416? Perhaps they should remind themselves of that first before whining about Toronto.
The GTA has gone through several variations of the level of control. GO (Government of Ontario) Transit was started as crown corportation for 30 years then download to the Toronto Area Transportation Operating Authority to become the Greater Toronto Services Board then back to the province as the Greater Toronto Transit Authority. There are too much diversity of local politics in the GTHA to make local funding decisions without bias. As much as I hate seeing Metrolinx struggle for funding beside MTO, Health, and Social Assistance, I hated seeing the GTSB neglect significant capital investments instead.

One question I have is why the city isn't stepping up to the plate and paying for the truncated bits on Finch and Sheppard. If LRT is so apparently cheap, surely the city can fund the rest by itself.
Because the City, the Provience, and the Feds are all credit junkies that are barely managing to pay the bills. However, if Miller wanted to leave a real legacy, he'd raise a tax for transit capital funding, cover the funding deficit, and stop whining that he didn't get everything on his wish list.

Canada seems reluctant to really acknowledge its urban centres unless the Olympics are going on or whatever. The economic and social importance of transit in Toronto as compared to every other place in Ontario was best demonstrated by the OC Transpo strike. It lasted 51 days. Ottawa has not reached the tipping point where transit becomes an integral part of the city's day-to-day economy.

If Toronto struggles economically over the next decade it will be in large part due to the lack of investment in transit infrastructure.

That's why this move is so disastrous and why I won't vote for this provincial Liberal party again unless they change gears.
Canada is a divided nation between very urban and very rural. Austrilia are one of the
I like your issue motivated voting, but I would ask that you check the stance of the NDP/CPO/GPO on transit funding before voting against the Liberals on the issue.

The city has made an offer to finance the costs themselves so the construction schedule can continue as originally planned. The province has declined. I think a big issue at the moment is that these were to be provincially-owned transit lines.

What went wrong is that people who should be acting like allies (transit advocates and users) are too divided to stand up to the province with one unified voice. Instead of demanding funding, we argue ad nauseum about technology choice, we allow ourselves to get divided into 416 and 905, TTC users and GO users, etc. The limited funding historically available for transit projects has turned us into cannibals preying on our own kind. Witness the amount of people filled with glee now that TC is threatened, the ones who fool themselves into thinking that somehow Rob Ford will scrape together enough money to build subways everywhere, or for that matter the amount of people who cheerfully point out the Sheppard subway's perceived failure.

No one wins when money for transit suddenly dries up, and it would be helpful if we could all put this LRT vs. subways thing aside right now and stand up together for an investment in transit. It's all too easy for politicians to cancel funding when half of the people who would be advocating for transit are cheering on the cuts hoping that their pet project might have a chance now, not realizing that a lack of funds means nothing is going to get built at all.

Obviously this isn't the only thing that went wrong, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's starting to get really irritated with every thread in T&I turning into an LRT vs. subway argument (with the same people making the same points over and over again). When transit funding gets cut, we to put these relatively minor differences to the side and work together.
Hear! Hear!

Keithz:

If a tax hike of what, 40M per year resulted in the howls of protests, why would one think it would be politically opportune to use this method to raise funding locally for transit? Personally I think that's a preferred route, unfortunately I believe this view is in the minority.

AoD

So you assume "the average man" is an idiot and anyone on the Metrolinx board won't be?

Actually, there was a time the board took their mandate seriously. There was going to be a robust discussion on tolls, taxes, private partnerships and other payment options. The Metrolinx board, composed of those pesky elected officials, was fired shortly after. The new appointed board is fulfilling their new mandate nicely though, not being a chequebook for municipal politicians, just being a chequebook for provincial politicians. Of course we don't really know what cheques they will deliver because as we are idiots, so we're not allowed to know what's going on or have any input.
Half the population is below average intellegence. Public consultation takes time and money. A lack of transparency is endemic in Canada, and there is probably some avoidance of public anger (a la Weston sub), but on the timescale they've rejigged their overriding capital program, public consultation isn't feasible. Beyond that, what would it reveal about the projects besides a popularity contest?

The original Metrolinx board were municipal politicians, so would the board spot be tied to the office and the board become disfunctional as local politics changed, or would the spots be tied to the individual and thereby be exactly what the current board is: a political appointment. Every system has flaws, we've got to live with what we have and hopefully improve upon it. But let's make sure those changes are in the right direction. I would prefer an at least partially directly elected board.

Going back....................I did a typo. I meant to write $310 MILLION/ km not 3.1 billion. As I said any line that comes in at more than $200 million per km in the burbs is calmed palm greaing. Yes other cities are spending per km more like the Second Ave in NYC but that is downtown in a huge older city while Spadina is going thru a suburban wasteland.
Several reasons why TC failed. First therer were too many lines. When there are several lines it's easier to just cancel a few independently. Second, it takes Toronto years just to get things off the ground. When a line's funding is announced then shovels should be in the ground withing 6 months tops. Vancouver built it's 18km MLine in just 22 months from the announcement to opening day. Vancouver's light metro Canada Line started construction withing 3 months of announcement. Third build the entire line at once, the entire stretch and when roads are dug up for 37 km like Eglinton Pearson to Kingston there is no way of stopping it. Fourth. Bring in affordable costs and keep to them. When TC was announced the price was $6 billion and when the province announced a massive contribution by paying Toronto's portion all of the sudden the price skyrockets by 50%. That's not bad math but pure manipulation.
The Construction Price Index for Toronto from 2005 to 2010 is 25.1%. If they quoted prices as in base year dollars with an inflation index (around 5% a year), it'd make people realise that to do something for $200m in 2005 would now cost $250m in 2010.

So you assume "the average man" is an idiot ...

How do you describe Westonites who insist that every single train that passes through the neighbourhood on one of the largest rail corriors in the country built something like a century ago, be electric. Those seem like reasonable citizens to you?

...and anyone on the Metrolinx board won't be?

No organization is immune to incompetence. But I'll take the word of educated and experienced urban planners, transit managers, etc. over politicians any day. Do you think Transport for London is terrible at what they do because they only have two sitting politicians on the board?

Sorry if I was unclear. They were hobbled from fulfilling their mandate. There's hardly anything regional about the RTP (well maybe something on roads side...).

Which incorporated much of MO2020. What they should have done is gone back to the drawing board and looked at what MO2020 projects clearly help their goal of furthering regional connectivity. They didn't do that.

Actually, there was a time the board took their mandate seriously. There was going to be a robust discussion on tolls, taxes, private partnerships and other payment options. The Metrolinx board, composed of those pesky elected officials, was fired shortly after.

If you think people like Hazel McCallion are going to support road tolls, I've got a bridge to sell you....

The city also has to start setting REAL priorities. Finch is going to be a complete waste of funds once the Spadina Line is done. Take that spare $800 million and channel it into the Eglinton Line to make it totally grade separated with stops every 1 - 2 km on average making it the true mass/rapid transit corridor that it should be. According to the TTC polls most Torontonians felt that Eglinton would be the line that they are most likely to take so put the funds there.
Toronto also needs to produce REAL costs not like the TC which magically increased in price by 50% within a year. Once the money is confirmed start digging within 6 months...............tops. They don't have to figure out all of the line and then start digging.
Toronto needs to take the carrot out of it's ass and get building and they could easily have a Pearson to Kingston mass/rapid transit line completed by 2018. Anyone who says that is impossible is making excuses. In the mid 70's Toronto had about 2.6 million yet 30 years later it has 5.8 million and the mass/rapid transit system has hardly budged. According to StatsCan Toronto will have 9.7 million by 2031 and we may be having the same damn conversation.
By 2031 Toronto must have at least twice the system it has now just to keep pace or it will continue to be a Smogtown where the skies get browner, the traffic heavier,r all with a sicker populace.

I heard David Miller on 92.5 The Edge this morning talking about the reduced Transit City. He suggested it amounted to social injustice to make poor people endure bus service in the cut areas. I'm a big fan of social justice, but it shouldn't enter into strategic transit planning. A city development plan that's investing redevelopment money into a run down neighbourhood could propose including transit development. That makes sense to me. Building infrastructure for a level of service that isn't necessitated by ridership means higher subsidies. But politics mix everything into a big web, which fundementally leads to overproviding for some at the expense of others who have reduced servicing.

I wish they'd set-up a Transit and Transportation Inprovements Fund with a line on T4 for an optional tax-exempt donation to it. If they had $100 per capita average donation, it'd mean over $5 billion in 3 years. Any sort of alternative funding measure should be explored ASAP really.

Building without a design means higher costs. Eglinton would be nice to have, but I don't see anyone giving up current interests to redirect funds there. People would see your $800 million price, then balk when the real costs came in. Even with a signed contract for works, you don't know the real costs until after a shovel hits the ground. Anyone that thinks otherwise has been stuck in the office too long.

Canada seems reluctant to really acknowledge its urban centres unless the Olympics are going on or whatever. The economic and social importance of transit in Toronto as compared to every other place in Ontario was best demonstrated by the OC Transpo strike. It lasted 51 days. Ottawa has not reached the tipping point where transit becomes an integral part of the city's day-to-day economy.

If Toronto struggles economically over the next decade it will be in large part due to the lack of investment in transit infrastructure.

That's why this move is so disastrous and why I won't vote for this provincial Liberal party again unless they change gears.

I was there for a bulk of that strike. The city was an absolute sh*t-show. Just because there wasn't DVP-style backups on the 417 every morning doesn't mean that it didn't have a significant impact. It was just scaled relatively to the size of the city.

What went wrong is that people who should be acting like allies (transit advocates and users) are too divided to stand up to the province with one unified voice. Instead of demanding funding, we argue ad nauseum about technology choice, we allow ourselves to get divided into 416 and 905, TTC users and GO users, etc. The limited funding historically available for transit projects has turned us into cannibals preying on our own kind. Witness the amount of people filled with glee now that TC is threatened, the ones who fool themselves into thinking that somehow Rob Ford will scrape together enough money to build subways everywhere, or for that matter the amount of people who cheerfully point out the Sheppard subway's perceived failure.

No one wins when money for transit suddenly dries up, and it would be helpful if we could all put this LRT vs. subways thing aside right now and stand up together for an investment in transit. It's all too easy for politicians to cancel funding when half of the people who would be advocating for transit are cheering on the cuts hoping that their pet project might have a chance now, not realizing that a lack of funds means nothing is going to get built at all.

Obviously this isn't the only thing that went wrong, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's starting to get really irritated with every thread in T&I turning into an LRT vs. subway argument (with the same people making the same points over and over again). When transit funding gets cut, we to put these relatively minor differences to the side and work together.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I support rapid transit that's truly RAPID; be it bus, streetcar, underground train or commuter-rail. If people are divided, it is because of the public's first hand experience with the various modal types: their average speeds, the duration of time it takes to get from Point A-B, the reliability of the schedule, whether the service is so predictable one doesn't even need a schedule, etc. The "average person" as TTC/GO customers have been derrogatorized as in this thread, know better than to we treated like herded cattle, that everyday we are paying higher and higher fares for poorer and poorer service quality. Dignity and life quality of the transit users matters. People shouldn't be spending a third of their lives stuck in traffic.

So when plans like Transit City come along and piques the public's interest, we'd at least like to know that it'll sufficiently address the problems currently being faced and is something so sustainable we need not worry about issues of its carrying capacity and affect on the current network for several generations to come. That's where the anger and fury stems from now, because more and more the "average person" public is waking up to the realization that Transit City was something hastily drafted up with political rather than social intent. Modal choice is secondary to the dabate as you'd never here me recommend a subway along Morningside, Jane or Finch West. What matters is the speed and reliability of the service.

Worse still MO20 was a provincial-wide transportation bill which got all but consumed mostly by the GTHA, and half of that by Toronto/416 alone. So the combination of citizen disastifaction within Toronto for the TC plan with anti-Toronto sentiments from elsewhere, was bound to create a maelstorm that the Provincial Gov't simply could not ignore. In a democracy it is very difficult to find a united voice on almost any issue. Splinter groups and dissenting factions will always emerge. Then there's the silent majority who will acquiesce to whichever authority sounds the most convincing.

So to look at this forum as exemplar basis for all that's going wrong is very shortsighted and misses the point that most people don't prioritize public transit as that big an issue enough to engage in heavy discussion over it, let alone demand reinstated funding which will likely deprive most people of other essential services. We live in the "Me" generation I'm afraid. Also people are scared of change and untested systems in a local context, particularly when they will cost the whole province a fortune to build and operate. Most people like the security of knowing what their investments are going into, based on past successes.

I was there for a bulk of that strike. The city was an absolute sh*t-show. Just because there wasn't DVP-style backups on the 417 every morning doesn't mean that it didn't have a significant impact. It was just scaled relatively to the size of the city.

Yeah. I don't know what GM is talking about. People were taking 2-3 hours to commute in to work. And that's from what would normally take 30-40 mins on a bus. If anything the strike showed exactly why transit is necessary. And the impact was compounded by the fact that Ottawa's downtown lacks parking since the largest employer (the federal government) does not give parking to any of its employees (even generals and deputy ministers take the bus here...one of the few capital cities in the world where I've seen that). A nice green move normally. But hell during the strike.

And the only reason it didn't get resolved sooner was because OC Transpo is federally regulated and parliament was on a recess.

And the only reason they were able to reasonably mitigate the impacts was because the federal government was the largest employer. They reacted quickly by introducing flex times, allowing employees to work from home, to work on weekends, etc.

I don't doubt the strike sucked something fierce, but the reality still is that Ottawa at least had the option of carrying on without transit service, limping as it did. The Ontario legislature came in to work on a Sunday to ensure the TTC workers would be back on the job for Monday morning. My point is fairly simple: At this point in time, transit service is far more important to the day-to-day in Toronto than it is in Ottawa.

I don't doubt the strike sucked something fierce, but the reality still is that Ottawa at least had the option of carrying on without transit service, limping as it did. The Ontario legislature came in to work on a Sunday to ensure the TTC workers would be back on the job for Monday morning. My point is fairly simple: At this point in time, transit service is far more important to the day-to-day in Toronto than it is in Ottawa.

You severly underestimate the severity of the strike and how Ottawa coped with it. They coped with it in the same way that TO would cope with a TTC strike: Carpooling, taking 2-3 hours to get to work (and in some cases as much as 4 hours believe it or not), telecommuting and in some cases employers just laid off temporarily laid off workers/shut down or cut their hours. To suggest it was a trifling annoyance is highly insulting to residents in that town who had to live through it, quite a few whom walked kms in -25 weather to get to work everyday during that strike.

Like I said, what helped them is not that they were small or not as reliant on transit. It's ignorant to say that. What helped them is the fact that they had several large employers who employed most of the commuters in the core who travel at peak. And these employers could react quickly enough. The federal government set up a ride sharing bulletin board on its internal network, with parking only available to those who carpooled. Spontaneous jitneys appeared. And people walked. The amount of people (particularly university students) that walked and biked everywhere despite it being the dead of winter, was just amazing. But then, this is a city where tons more people walk and bike to work and where employers (particularly federal and military offices facilitate that).

Another thing that did help them was Christmas. The federal government slows down and mostly shuts down for two weeks during Christmas. Couple that with no university students in town, means that they were able to get some reprieve in the middle.

One would hope that cities all over Canada learned from Ottawa, about how to cope with a major transit disruption. They "carried on" because they were forced too. Toronto could do the same. It would not be pretty. But it could be done. It would take you 3 hours to get to the core from Scarborough. Every GO train would be packed. Some would tele-commute. And just like Ottawa, inevitably, people would curtail their activities. They would not be going anywhere but work and the grocery store. Employers would cut back hourse or if looked like a long strike, they would lay-off workers. People would move. Tons of people were hot bunking at a friends place because it was more convenient. Some were spending nights in the office. It can be done. It won't be pretty. Ottawa showed us that.

Lastly, on recalling the legistlature. It was easy for Queen's Park. They were in session. They just had to call them in to work on Sunday. Not so easy for a federal parliament that's not in session with MPs scattered all over the country to assemble a quorum. They estimated it would take a week minimum at one point. What made it worse was that the mayor kept refusing intervention and the feds wanted to give him room to manoeuvre and at various times when settlement looked close, the feds would back off on intervention. They were also worried about intervening in what would have normally been a provincial matter.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Get ready for road tolls, Hazel McCallion warns GTA

Okay, she doesn't "support" tolls, just says they are necessary and are coming wether we like it or not because she's not paying for anything more!

....and she's suddenly discovered how mean the province and feds are after years of whispering sweet nothings in the ears of provincial and federal officials and telling them how bad and irresponsible Toronto is and how good and fiscally prudent Mississauga is.

Just watch her stance (if she's still around) when they toll the Gardiner. She'll support tolls alright. For somebody else.

Back