News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.3K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 667     1 

MoveOntario 2020: GO Transit Electrification

Every line has level crossings and many of them. (not including foreman, farmers or utility crossings)
Richmond Hill has the least with 6(2 of which are pedestrian only but have the same requirements as a road crossing) + 1 rail crossing
Lakeshore East has 9
Lakeshore West has 12
Milton has 14 (used to be 17 up until a year or two, thank you population explosion Milton)
Georgetown has 14 & 2 rail crossings
I'm not even going to get into how many Barrie has suffice to say it has more than all the above put together!
Stouffville has a lot as well with 32 (1 pedestrian)

It would cost billions to grade separate them all and there'll be many more to cross with expansion.

will there be any between Brampton and union after the upgrages?

MARC also uses electrics for some of their services to Washington, D.C. Union Station--as does SEPTA for 30th St and Suburban Stations in Philly and Long Island RR to Penn Station in NY. Some Swiss and German commuter services are electric push-pull trains, too.

Thanks.

Forgot about MARC. Didn't know about SEPTA or LIRR. Thought both were EMU-only.

will there be any between Brampton and union after the upgrages?

Yessum.

All of the grade crossings between Union and Bramalea GO will be separated.

This will leave, from East to West:
  • James / John Street, Brampton
  • Mill Street, Brampton
  • Orangeville-Brampton Railway, Brampton
  • Mississauga Road, Brampton
  • Heritage Road, Brampton
  • Winston Churchill Blvd, Brampton
  • Tenth Line, Halton Hills

The first two would cause urban design problems if they were separated. They last four are rural road with traffic that is light today but could increase exponentially when development creeps westward. The last one dead ends just after crossing the tracks so road traffic will likely always be light.

Long Island Rail Road electrification....and Diesel routes clarified...

Everyone: The Long Island Rail Road is electrified with DC top-contact third rail
750 Volts DC. These lines are NOT electrified:
The Main Line from Ronkonkoma to Greenport
The Oyster Bay Branch from East Williston to Oyster Bay
The Port Jefferson Branch from Huntington to Port Jefferson
The Montauk Branch from Babylon to Montauk
The Central Branch from E of Bethpage to W of Babylon-9 miles I believe.
The LIRR uses bi-level cars and a mix of straight diesels and dual-mode
units that can operate on third rail power for its diesel routes.

DHL: That pic you posted thru Wikipedia is a dual-mode train at Farmingdale
on the Ronkonkoma Branch going eastbound during a trackwork program
that had Ronkonkoma-bound trains (normally EMUs)operating via the non-electrified Central Branch to get to Babylon to continue W. That is a 500 series DM30 by the way...
The 400 series DE30s are the straight diesels of the same design.
Any more LIRR questions? LI MIKE

Where can I find spreadsheet-style schedules for the LIRR? The MTA website only has the "pick two stations" style schedules, but has both types for Metro North. What gives? Are operations between the different branches really that complex?

LIRR EMU Fleet size...

Everyone: I should have mentioned the LIRR's EMU fleet for this Electrification
topic:
There are 836 M7 cars built by Bombardier between 2001-2006
170 M3 cars built by Budd in 1985-86 for a total of 1006 EMU cars.
Retired in recent years were 770 Budd-built M1 cars built between December 1968 and 1972.
LI MIKE

There's an update (PDF) on the system-wide electrification study for the next Metrolinx board meeting. A JV of Delcan and Arup won the study award, with 10 sub-consultants - I'm hoping this isn't a case of too many cooks.

There's an update (PDF) on the system-wide electrification study for the next Metrolinx board meeting. A JV of Delcan and Arup won the study award, with 10 sub-consultants - I'm hoping this isn't a case of too many cooks.

If you'll forgive the little bit of Kremlinology: the subcontractor with the "vehicle technologies" assessment portfolio is going to be LTK (Lous T. Klauder) Engineering Services based out of suburban Philadelphia. Their past work on commuter rail has heavily involved EMUs, both at LIRR and around the northeast corridors. Certainly a step away from the usual flotilla of transit consultants GO's dealt with in the past.

The grade seperation of the rail line with Sheppard Ave at the Agincourt makes a lot of sense. Hopefully they do this at more crossings. I don't live to far from the Midland Ave and Danforth Rd rail crossing and I am hoping that this level crossing gets a similar treatment. With GO increasing service on many of its routes I think having underpasses or overpasses would increase safety and help the environment, not as much idling traffic. Does anyone know if GO or City of TO, or any other municipaility is going to invest in having these crossings grade seperated- and which ones?

Snow, limited speeds, leaves on tracks. That's for starters.

The only third rail systems for railways (not so much subways, though many newer systems use overhead) are legacies - such as the lines leading out of South London station, Penn Station to Long Island and north on the Empire Service trains, etc. They also don't host heavy freight usage, which even some GO-owned lines might still see.

Exactly. An equally important reason is that you need far fewer substations on a 25kv AC overhead system than on a DC third rail system.

An interesting point to consider when talking about EMUs is that the FRA is starting to look at more of a European approach to rail safety. All American mainlines are moving toward positive train control that might allow a relaxation of buff strength and other requirements that prevent the use of European rolling stock in North America.

Rolling Stock Technology Assessment for Metrolinx/GO Electrification

RECOMMENDATIONS
After examination of the candidate rolling stock technologies, it was concluded that a number of technology
alternatives should be eliminated from further consideration based on the application of the four screening
criteria.
Further, it is recommended that the following technologies be carried forward for more detailed assessment and
analysis as part of the electrification study:
 Diesel Locomotives – Bi‐Level
 Electric Locomotives – Bi‐Level
 Electric Multiple Units – Bi‐Level
 Dual‐Mode Locomotives – Bi‐Level
Note: The Airport Rail Link (ARL) service is proposed to be initially provided by a single‐level Diesel Multiple Unit
(DMU) train conforming to a Tier 4 emissions standard, which will then be converted to a single‐level EMU.

a bunch of other new documents on the project site
http://www.gotransit.com/estudy/en/default.aspx

Last edited:

Back