News   Jul 25, 2024
 760     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 678     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 509     0 

Most "Walkable" Mall in the GTA

What's the most walkable mall in the GTA?

• Eaton Centre

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • Square One

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Yorkdale

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Scarborough Town Centre

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Bramalea City Centre

• Vaughan Mills

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Markville Shopping Centre

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sherway Gardens

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Pickering Town Centre

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

andomano

Member Bio
Reaction score
Of all the regional malls in the GTA, which do you folks think is the most walkable. This may mean different things to some people, such as atmosphere, stairs-escalator ratio, you name it.

Personally, I enjoy the Scarborough Town Centre since it's possible to walk the mall without passing the same store twice.

I've listed 9 of the largest malls in the GTA and have left space for "other", if you select it, please take the time to explain.

Last edited:
I voted Sherway because it's a figure 8 and pretty easy to walk the whole thing. Eaton Centre has a good atmosphere, but all the various levels are a pain in the arse. Erin Mills isn't on your list but it's terrible to walk, with dead ends everywhere. Square One is a big mall, but doesn't feel big when you walk it and it's easy to walk in circles unless you know where you're going. Vaughan Mills I haven't been to in a while but it always struck me as a slightly more upscale Dixie, which I also dislike.

There's only room for 10 options, and I wanted to have one for 'other'. Erin Mills isn't one of the Top 9 by sq. ft., so it didn't make the cut.

You should probably go to Vaughan Mills, especially if you think it's a slightly more upscale Dixie, you may be surprised. Or not.

Vaughan Mills blind folded.

There's only room for 10 options, and I wanted to have one for 'other'. Erin Mills isn't one of the Top 9 by sq. ft., so it didn't make the cut.

You should probably go to Vaughan Mills, especially if you think it's a slightly more upscale Dixie, you may be surprised. Or not.

I HAVE been to Vaughan Mills. And my impression of it was it looked like Dixie to me. Not as bad, but the same kind of feel. It's one floor. There's exposed ceiling. That kind of thing. Clearly the stores aren't as cheap, even though some of them are "outlet" at VM, and most are actual outlets at Dixie.

Yorkdale - it's also all one floor, except the food court and cinema mezzanines, the aisles are wide and there's fewer obstructions than Eaton Centre, unless heading to or from the subway/GO buses, there's little need to cover your tracks to go anywhere.

:rolleyes:

This is pretty silly ...

What does walkable even mean in this context. The easiest to get around? The most pleasant experience? The best atmosphere?

To answer the above:
easiest to get around: sherway
most pleasant experience: Yorkdale ... I think it's the nicest mall in the GTA.
atmosphere: ... not sure, Eaton Center? maybe ...

And #3 = Scarborough Town Centre, obviously. (And surely, Dufferin Mall begs mention in this thread.)

Actually, I find Sherway's figure 8 to be a mixed blessing, in that it's easy to get disoriented...

I find the Eaton Centre loses points because its overcrowded and because its a pain getting between levels when you're stuck in a mob of 905'ers that think escalators are amusement park rides.

It's not technically a mall in the traditional sense, but my vote goes for the Shops at Don Mills. I can also tolerate a stroll through Bayview Village

I like the Eaton Centre and Yorkdale.

I think Square One and Sherway Gardens are overrated. When I finally went to each (and since then) I've found them to be very claustrophobic. In the latter, low ceilings and off-whites just make for an oudated look, too.

Yorkdale is so open and airy and bright, and the Eaton Centre is airy and bright to the max, though always(!) crowded.

yorkdale hands down, I love the feel of the glass roof, and the atmosphere.

Boy that was tricky. I was down between Vaughan Mills and Eaton Centre.

I have to admit, I've never been to SQ1, so I think that lets me cross it off the list.
Yorkdale is a wonderful mall, but it is not walkable in any way, shape or form to me. I love shopping there, but it's a pain having to navigate a gigantic shopping mall, with mostly medium-sized stores all on one level.
STC is actually quite nice if you ask me, but it's not at the level of Vaughan or Eaton's. If my view wasn't clouded by bigger=better walkability, STC would be competing with the two.
Haven't been to Bramlea either, so that's crossed off.
Markville is pretty terrible actually. It's got a nice feel, but it's just missing some important features that would bring it up hugely. It's kind of in the uncanny valley of shopping malls, if you get what I mean. A lack of variety in stores kinda kills it for me too. oops, I just got another urban fantasy thinking about that too much :rolleyes:
Sherway Gardens is alright, but I find it kind of generic. It has some interesting design features that could have been great in the right context, but I just kind of see it as a mishmash of different styles that don't really go well together, making it a big turnoff for shopping.
Pickering Town Centre. Ugh, no.

One mall that I'm surprised isn't on the list is Fairview Mall, which I actually quite like. But the reason I chose Vaughan Mills is because of it's great design. It's totally unique, and doesn't feel like your average shopping mall in any way. On second thought, Eaton's probably would have won for me, if it wasn't for it being holiday time and my view being clouded behind masses of shoppers clogging up the escalators :p

Back