News   Mar 28, 2024
 980     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 552     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 844     0 

Moss Park / Queen & Sherbourne

When you see moss park now, especially at the Sherbourne and Queen corner, the renders are pretty interesting. Do they plan on redeveloping surrounding areas because they're a dump right now. Aren't there like 3 or 4 shelters in the immediate area?
There are now several plans for developments in the immediate area; the new Moss Park community centre, the large development on the south side of Queen from McFarrans Lane to Ontario in particular. The biggest shelter in the area is the Salvation Army's Maxwell Meighan Shelter on the east side of Sherbourne and the SA have (slowly) been upgrading their shelter network and seem to be moving towards smaller more scattered ones. As the Moss Park area gets new residents I bet there will be increasing pressures to improve it and the SA will be under pressure to 'upgrade' the Meighan (possibly by selling that - valuable - site and moving to ??? ) - who knows when!

You bring up a good point. When they cleaned up St. James park, they did not have to deal with shelters immediately adjacent. In this case, there are a few including the Maxwell Meighen (Salvation Army) which is the second biggest one in the city and directly across the street. It's not going anywhere so I hope there will be some part of the plan that will involve assisting these men when the shelter is closed during the day. Otherwise we will end up with a $100 million facelift and the same problems returning (vagrancy, drugs, sex workers) that make the park unfriendly today.

Last edited:
Things have been accelerating in the past 3 months - three shootings and a stabbing in the immediate area. The latest shooting was this morning inside Alfies, which is notorious for drug activity. I really like living where I do (Sherbourne between Richmond and Adelaide) but I have to remind myself to stay south of Richmond. It's unfortunate and I hope the city will take action to improve things. Shuttering Alfies would be a start.

Last edited:
Things have been accelerating in the past 3 months - three shootings and a stabbing in the immediate area. The latest shooting was this morning inside Alfies, which is notorious for drug activity. I really like living where I do (Sherbourne between Richmond and Adelaide) but I have to remind myself to stay south of Richmond. It's unfortunate and I hope the city will take action to improve things. Shuttering Alfies would be a start.

It ebbs and flows, but shuttering Alfie's would be a good start (you'd want to close the "New Buffalo Restaurant" simultaneously, or else it would just move there). Queen and Parliament is noticeably less dodgy since Annie's closed.

anyone else see this? 28 stories, just West of the Berkley St. Church...
notice.jpg

Attachments

• notice.jpg
    notice.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 522
I'm not sure how, under "Possible Deal Breaker", they did not mention location, location, location! Maybe the new buyers will be betting on the Moss Park Redevelopment plan that is going before council??

I'm not sure how, under "Possible Deal Breaker", they did not mention location, location, location! Maybe the new buyers will be betting on the Moss Park Redevelopment plan that is going before council??

Immediate location isn't all that great. But still close to transit, shops, Distillery, St Lawrence Market, and many other destinations. Then add the redevelopment that's happening in the area. If it all happens, this home will be a goldmine. Just have to tough it out until then.

I took a Jane's Walk of the Garden District 3 or 4 years ago, and the walk leader knew the owner of that building, who had just purchased it and she came out and talked about its history, and her visions for what she wants it to become. Kind of disappointed by the final product to be honest, it seems like she ran out of money before fully realizing her vision.

That's beyond the yuppie couple range... I'm surprised because even though the area might be gentrifying I don't see how the kind of people with $3.3M to throw on a house would want to live in Moss Park.
Yeah lo, a hell of a lot of significantly nicer neighbourhoods in Toronto you can spend that kind of money on

It's amazing how design of condos plays into the safety and discouragement of illicit activity. I'm just south of Richmond, on Sherbourne and the rise of IV drug use has increased dramatically in and around our building. We had a group meeting with the police and the Officer said that the problem is "floating" southward from Queen/ Sherbourne. The problem is that we have a large "courtyard" back area where there is parking for the surrounding 4 buildings. Secluded and away from the street = shooting gallery. His best advice - create activity in the back with dog owners, resident coffee meet ups, etc. One interesting point he made was that the police had installed a camera at Queen/ Sherbourne and the crime rates dropped. But the Privacy Commission took issue and had it removed. A step backwards, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Back