News   Oct 02, 2024
 241     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 382     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 759     0 

More Wasteful TTC Spending?

There should be no such thing as down escalators, for energy conservation purposes. Up I can understand if you're elderly or ill, but down just caters to the laziest common denominator in our population.

Totally agree. The worst escalator offenders are those standing left on the down escalators.

OMG, that drives me nuts! Especially when they are young, healthy people. Like, how lazy can you be?? I also can't stand it when people block the entire moving sidewalks at Pearson.

Citing the issue of safety, escalator manufacturers recommend that people do not climb the stairs at all while the escalator is moving.

Pushing people down would be a major safety issue.

And worthy of major complaints.

there are quite a few people in wheelchairs that use the escalators where there is no elevator. i wouldn't risk it, it sounds pretty dangerous.

Totally agree. The worst escalator offenders are those standing left on the down escalators.

I heard the TTC doesn't want us walking on the escalators anymore anyway. Supposedly it's the cause of too many accidents. I can't imagine they actually putting a stop to it, though. Nobody's supposed to speed, either... :)

...and that's one of the reasons why they had to initiate the safety campaign.. a woman fell over backwards in her wheelchair on the escalator and crashed down back onto platform level...

TTC escalator etiquette....

Everyone: I fully understand the TTCs attitude towards escalators-they can be potentially dangerous-particularly at the end of the moving stair at the "comb" I recall that here in the NY area people have been hurt seriously when something on or near their footwear got caught in the escalator-in cases causing serious injury and implementing major lawsuits against those entities.
In one of the most serious cases back around 1999 or so I recall-this happened on SEPTAs Broad Street Line in Philadelphia-a small boy lost his foot in an escalator accident at either the Cecil B.Moore or Dauphin-Susquehanna Station in North Philly-the family sued SEPTA and a big investigation followed-it turned out that SEPTA management tried to sweep this under the rug and cover up faulty escalator maintenance-they also tried to lowball the family with a low monetary settlement claiming some sort of immunity-the family's attorneys turned it down and insisted on an in-depth investigation-which was done-and it eventually got the family a major over-million dollar settlement I recall. To me it is small consolation for losing a limb-the child ending up losing his entire foot due to the damage caused in the accident-the companies want to protect themselves from lawsuits brought by the injured.
In closing escalator etiquette can protect the users of them-as well as the companies to an extent from major lawsuits! LI MIKE

I heard the TTC doesn't want us walking on the escalators anymore anyway. Supposedly it's the cause of too many accidents. I can't imagine they actually putting a stop to it, though. Nobody's supposed to speed, either... :)

We all know that from TTC's stand point...that's why their train/bus/streetcars are always SLOW!!!

It's just so funny that TTC is so worried about the safety of ESCALATOR! What are we? Retarded? Have they seen Hong Kong? Escalators are everywhere....shheesh!

It's just so funny that TTC is so worried about the safety of ESCALATOR! What are we? Retarded? Have they seen Hong Kong? Escalators are everywhere....shheesh!"]It's just so funny that TTC is so worried about the safety of ESCALATOR! What are we? Retarded? Have they seen Hong Kong? Escalators are everywhere....shheesh!

Hong Kong's MTR outdid the TTC in promoting escalator safety... it has a cheesy TV commercial just to teach escalator safety...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ4VzLd54Po

There's even a page on the MTR website with a flash game and videos that promote safety on the MTR.

I guess they can't be blamed for this "waste" of money since they actually have money to burn.

Back