News   Apr 26, 2024
 305     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 291     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 484     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

I came across some old pics by dad shot. This is 11 Elizabeth street 1991. I think it was his old dental office

View attachment 49394 View attachment 49394
Elizabeth St. Home of the Chinatown Mall !
Does anyone remember a pub that went into that building between Dundas and New City Hall in the mid 80's called "Fosters"?
Just by the corner of Foster Pl.
Didn't last long, but a great little pub.

Spadina 1957:

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,539
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,507
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,503
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,509
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,490
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,512
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,518
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,501
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,500
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,495
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,520
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,533
As much as I ate within that area during the late 60's - 80's, only three restaurants were ever really patronized, they being, The Bagel, with "The Captain" Benny and his Wife, Harriet, the (good) Crazy Staff must be also included; Switzer's, Ira with Hy Beck and Staff; Kam Kuk Yuen, The Family including No 1 Son, Raymond and Great Staff.

Never once was the road ever crossed to "The Other Deli", although Sam Taft's (Hatter) window was perused on a number of occasions; Rotman's too, was never visited.

Thank you Sire!
(A great deal of fun was had at that time and place!)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Courtesy Of Toronto Public Library -- Photo credit Eric Ross Arthur -- Copyright © Paul Arthur -- The Registry Office at the corner of Albert and Chestnut Streets in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 1958. View looking northwest from Queen Street, with Osgoode Hall to the south west, and the Armouries behind. The Registry Office was demolished to build the City Hall. The Armouries was demolished to build the Court House -- 1958

11942231_925093194227332_4697472656450500224_o.jpg

Interesting to see the visible parking garage ramp in the background--though a block further south than it presently is...

"What is the tall building in the distance just to the top left?"

The Canada Life Building.
(Just south of The United States of America's Consulate.)

Regards,
J T

"What is the tall building in the distance just to the top left?"

The Canada Life Building.
(Just south of The United States of America's Consulate.)

Regards,
J T
Is it? I think the Canada Life Building is right at the left edge of the photo (barely visible). The building I'm thinking of is the one in the distance that's between the armories and the Canada Life Building on the horizon. I just can't figure out what that'd be. It feels too tall to be a part of the Toronto Western Hospital complex but I can't think of anything else that tall in the area...

I too believe it to be The TWH; nothing else is at that hight within that arc.

Regards,
J T

So many beautiful buildings in that vicinity no longer exist: the armouries, registry building, Temple Building, the Eaton's warehouses, Shea's Hippodrome, etc. So much needless waste. Think of how much greater Nathan Phillips Square would be with those still in existence (though Shea's would have cut into the square).

Yeah, it's the 30s deco tower in the middle of Toronto Western. Used to be quite the landmark before being swamped by other TWH add-ons...
I can't find any photos of it before it was modified. When did the add-ons occur?

Starting with the north wing in the 1970s, and then a whole lot of other wings more recently--it's still visible within the morass, though its roofline was mucked up with some kind of services enclosure around the 80s or so...

Back