News   Jun 14, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 786     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

Neat Toronto Postcards and Pics...

Charioteer: Good posts with your Toronto postcards and pics!
I have questions on these:
1- How old is that Allen Road/MacDonald-Cartier Freeway pic with Yorkdale Mall on the left?
2- The Bloor/Yonge pic of that old CIBC Bank with the noteable ONT 11 and 5 signs in front-which corner was that of-NE or SW?
3- That 45 Colborne pic shows the gold glass of the Royal Bank building well with the CN Tower spire almost looking like it is above that building...
This is one benefit of postcard collecting and older pics with these historical views!
LI MIKE

Last edited:
1- How old is that Allen Road/MacDonald-Cartier Freeway pic with Yorkdale Mall on the left?

Probably mid-late 60s--depending on when Macy DuBois' Dow Corning building was built (NE of the interchange)

2- The Bloor/Yonge pic of that old CIBC Bank with the noteable ONT 11 and 5 signs in front-which corner was that of-NE or SW?

The bank was at the NW corner. (And CIBC's still at that corner.)

3- That 45 Colborne pic shows the gold glass of the Royal Bank building well with the CN Tower spire almost looking like it is above that building...
This is one benefit of postcard collecting and older pics with these historical views!
LI MIKE

Thanks, Mike! To answer your questions:
1. The 401 postcard is early 70's
2. The Bloor/Yonge pic you're referring to was the NW corner, presently the site of 2 Bloor West; (see below)
3. The pic taken from the roof of 45 Colborne was taken by me late 70's (pre-BCE Place, pre-33 Yonge)

Site of 2 Bloor West:
NWcornerBloorYonge_edited-2.jpg

Site of 2 Bloor East:
NEcornerBloorYonge_edited-3.jpg

What's particularly galling about the demolition of the Royal Bank Building on the NE corner is the fact that it wasn't even in the way of the office tower; it was replaced by the current "pavilion" on the corner (imagine the possibilities of uses of that building if it had been preseved in terms of retail, boutique hotel,etc.):
bloor-yonge.jpg

So the Pilot Tavern used to be on Yonge.

Could someone provide a link to an old photo of St. Andrew's United on the south side of Bloor? Also, I know there's an Anglican church towards Jarvis on that side, but was there another church in between? Am searching my childhood memories.

Could someone provide a link to an old photo of St. Andrew's United on the south side of Bloor? Also, I know there's an Anglican church towards Jarvis on that side, but was there another church in between? Am searching my childhood memories.

Here you go, Bloor looking east , from just west of Yonge, 1954; St. Andrews centre of the picture:
bllor1954-1.jpg

Here you go, Bloor looking east , from just west of Yonge, 1954; St. Andrews centre of the picture:
bllor1954-1.jpg

Wow, that's one impressive Loblaws sign lording over the intersection.

Oh, and interesting to note the "Scott's" on the right, which I suppose fits the earlier lineage of what became "Scott's Chicken Villa" aka KFC (which, if one remembers, had a restaurant in that location before being FCUKed up)

Wow, that's one impressive Loblaws sign lording over the intersection.

Oh, and interesting to note the "Scott's" on the right, which I suppose fits the earlier lineage of what became "Scott's Chicken Villa" aka KFC (which, if one remembers, had a restaurant in that location before being FCUKed up)

I believe that Scotts later became the Fred Astaire Dance Studio featuring a large picture window on the second floor allowing pedestrians on the street to see the dancers inside, not unlike the National Ballet School's studios on Jarvis.

i always found it a bit strange that the Pilot was sandwiched between TWO branches of CIBC...i wonder if they had a secret passage through the bar?

yongebloor3.jpg

Keeping with the colour theme, here is a great shot of Eaton's decorated to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 1953:

5522-crown-over-yonge-1020.jpg

Back