News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 339     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Montréal Transit Developments

Seems that there will be a station or two underground downtown for the REM B (de l'Est) line. A short tunnel to Gare Centrale. What I like the most of the proposal is that thereotically the REM could be extended further West, which would have been difficult with an aerial structure.

A couple of excerpts, crudely translated to English by Google:

1630337070819.png

1630337133964.png

1630337208497.png

How so? We have seen nothing so far from the architectural firms. It's planned to be shown in December.
I'm just going off the rough english translation of what was mentioned in the LaPress article. Really the only thing that's changed is a portal to have an underground transfer, but it will still be essentially all above ground if the article is correct.

I'm just going off the rough english translation of what was mentioned in the LaPress article. Really the only thing that's changed is a portal to have an underground transfer, but it will still be essentially all above ground if the article is correct.
Being aerial doesn't imply no architectural integration.

Being aerial doesn't imply no architectural integration.
I'm referencing the opinion that I and many others hold/are concerned; regardless of measures taken, having it above ground will be visually obtrusive and unappealing compared to below ground.

I'm referencing the opinion that I and many others hold/are concerned; regardless of measures taken, having it above ground will be visually obtrusive and unappealing compared to below ground.
Its mere existence above ground does not inherently make it unappealing and obtrusive. There are many examples of great-looking elevated guideways that have already been shared on this thread.

The fund already said they don't plan to have it look like the ones on REM1. We will have to see what the show is in December.

CDPQi provided an update for the REM de l'Est project today:

This is the new plan, with the 500m downtown tunnel and an underground terminal station:

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 6.02.23 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 6.04.56 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 6.05.15 PM.jpg

Studies reveal that a longer tunnel would be possible, but it's quite risky to bore a 9.4 meter diameter tunnel just 3.9m under the orange line.

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 6.09.20 PM.jpg

CDPQi is adamant that no company would want to bid to undertake a project with such a risky segment.

CDPQi provided an update for the REM de l'Est project today:

This is the new plan, with the 500m downtown tunnel and an underground terminal station:

View attachment 346157
View attachment 346158
View attachment 346159

Studies reveal that a longer tunnel would be possible, but it's quite risky to bore a 9.4 meter diameter tunnel just 3.9m under the orange line.

View attachment 346163

CDPQi is adamant that no company would want to bid to undertake a project with such a risky segment.
What are those boxes to the left of the station? Are they in any way a problem if Montreal ever wants to extend this line westwards?

Its mere existence above ground does not inherently make it unappealing and obtrusive. There are many examples of great-looking elevated guideways that have already been shared on this thread.

The fund already said they don't plan to have it look like the ones on REM1. We will have to see what the show is in December.
It's a pretty subjective opinion; many people reference the skytrain as an example. This isn't a fair comparison, as it is elevated in an almost exclusive suburban or industrial environment.

What are those boxes to the left of the station? Are they in any way a problem if Montreal ever wants to extend this line westwards?

Foundations for the Place Ville-Marie - Central Station complex.

To help you understand: I just made an overlay of the REM station over a Place Ville Marie plan.

pvm-rem-montage.jpeg

As you can see, the Central Station platforms are right behind the end of the REM de l'Est tunnel.

Therefore a westwards expansion appears to be absolutely impossible.

Foundations for the Place Ville-Marie - Central Station complex.

To help you understand: I just made an overlay of the REM station over a Place Ville Marie plan.

View attachment 346239

As you can see, the Central Station platforms are right behind the end of the REM de l'Est tunnel.

Therefore a westwards expansion appears to be absolutely impossible.
ooh, yikes

Almost 4 metres clearance seems huge compared to the clearances that the TBMs for Crossrail did - less than a metre in places - without even closing the other tube line in London - at least at Tottenham Court Road.

Though looking at the illustration, I'm not sure why they couldn't build the portal near Labelle, with cut and cover between there and Sanguinet to simply and safely work around the existing tunnels. This would also allow for construction of a station between those locations, connecting to Metro Berri.

Last edited:

Back