Monde Condominiums (Great Gulf Homes) - Real Estate -

I imagine it's some little econoline van that runs back and forth a couple times an hour. Beyond having staff to drive it, it's not hugely expensive.

Hopefully at Monde the management doesn't allow the maintenance fee to skyrocket as in Harbour square. The bus service at 33,55-65, 77-99 is quite expensive as its in use whole day, from 7AM to 7PM, 4 busses running non stop to Union station in the morning and late afternoon. During the day there are different routes. My estimate is that no more than 200 people out of 2000 condos use the busses. The maintenance fee at the Harbour square complex is quite high and very close to a dollar per sq f.. And its getting worse since the older buildings need serious repairs every year, Its no longer managed by Brookfield and everything is going downhill.

Brookfield was great! My best experience so far with a management company. They were at Picasso on Richmond after initial completion of construction.

Just got occupancy myself. Am generally happy with what I got!

One interesting thing is that there’s seems to be a background whistling noise throughout the building that I noticed. I hope that they sort that out eventually. Saw on another forum that another project in the city had a perpetual wind noise due to its design.

One interesting thing is that there’s seems to be a background whistling noise throughout the building that I noticed. I hope that they sort that out eventually
I suspect that will change. Early days of occupancy, with the building nearly enclosed, will have imbalances with infiltration and exhaust. Most mech systems will run, perhaps at rates not fully needed until they are balanced. And need to be re balanced when more people arrive and start to occupy more of the units. Simple things like weather stripping at suite doors will help. Elevator shafts and garbage chutes should have negative pressures, hallways should be positive pressures, all to keep fresh air moving and suite cooking smells in the suites. For hi-rise buildings stack effect pressure plays into this as well, when warm air rises and is replaced with incoming cooler air, and this is magnified with height.

I suspect that will change. Early days of occupancy, with the building nearly enclosed, will have imbalances with infiltration and exhaust. Most mech systems will run, perhaps at rates not fully needed until they are balanced. And need to be re balanced when more people arrive and start to occupy more of the units. Simple things like weather stripping at suite doors will help. Elevator shafts and garbage chutes should have negative pressures, hallways should be positive pressures, all to keep fresh air moving and suite cooking smells in the suites. For hi-rise buildings stack effect pressure plays into this as well, when warm air rises and is replaced with incoming cooler air, and this is magnified with height.
In general, in multi-unit buildings the hallways are under positive pressure thanks to a make-up air unit that blows air into them. If you add weather stripping to the suite doors you will cause a problem because the hallways are at slightly higher air pressure to keep cooking and tobacco smells confined to the Units. If you add weather stripping to the Unit doors you reduce/prevent the air getting into the Units from the hallways so when you turn on the Unit extractor fans they have to work far harder to suck the air out because there is nowhere for new air to come in from - unless you also open a window.

Our unit came with unit door weather stripping, and still during the winter the air under the door is more than we need. We block the infiltration from under the door during the winter with a stuffed threshold wiener dog.
Our bathroom fans struggle when the wind pressure is high on that side of the building, and alternately on the leeside of the building it works very well.

I had my PDI today. The view was fantastic! But I was taken aback by poor quality of craftsmanship in the indoor work as a sharp contrast to the outside finish. Sloppy and careless. I am wandering who are the workers and if they have any training.

The entire perimeter of the ceiling is peeling off, several damaged floor planks, and severely damaged bathtub. I do not believe they will be replacing the bathtub as it would probably require to retile the floor. It was also very strange that the person conducting the PDI would resent to put some of the deficiencies on the form. She would not say “scratched” but insisted on saying “dirty” even if it was scratched, then she said “I already wrote down more than enough deficiencies” and would not want to write any more. It was a strange and disappointing experience.
791AB849-1902-42F9-86C5-E68682BA460A.jpeg
F5CB1DDB-9708-4ECD-A754-15FD82E5A4DC.jpeg

Last edited:
I had my PDI today. The view was fantastic! But I was taken aback by poor quality of craftsmanship in the indoor work as a sharp contrast to the outside finish. Sloppy and careless. I am wandering who are the workers and if they have any training.

The entire perimeter of the ceiling is peeling off, several damaged floor planks, and severely damaged bathtub. I do not believe they will be replacing the bathtub as it would probably require to retile the floor. It was also very strange that the person conducting the PDI would resent to put some of the deficiencies on the form. She would not say “scratched” but insisted on saying “dirty” even if it was scratched, then she said “I already wrote down more than enough deficiencies” and would not want to write any more. It was a strange and disappointing experience.
View attachment 185218

I did my PDI last month and I completely agreed with you. I thought it was just my unit. It was amazing how different the common areas which looked professionally done as compared to my unit. The ceiling and edges on the walls are rough and I also have obvious scratches on my bathtub.

I put all of these on my 30day Tarion warranty and took pictures to support my claims. I would advise you to do the same.

I was crying after my PDI. I do not cry very often but after almost 10 years of anticipation and almost a million dollar expenditure it was very sad to see a completely BOTCHED JOB on window frames, ceiling, baseboards, and a ruined bathtub. It is more than deficiencies, everything speaks of a careless neglect. I felt cheated. Oh, and yes, some damage on numerous planks of the floor scattered throughout.

The sad thing about all this is that it is not possible to correct this properly. To do floor correctly one needs to redo the entire thing, it is very hard to pick out and replace separate planks here and there. Same with a bathtub, you can cover up some scuffs with a bit of enamel, it is not the same as a new bathtub. And yes, it is a sharp contrast to how they treat the common area, everything there is covered and protected.

As you can see below, there’s a part of my ceiling sticking out. This was noted in my PDI but nothing has been done. There’s now a window blinds put below it. I’ve specifically told the window installation people not to install my blinds and did not authorize them to enter my unit. They still did it when I wasn’t there.

My 30 days Tarion warranty going to expire next week and I’ll file for claims under Tarion.

Second and third picture showing even PDI things still not done (from the orange sticker still up). The bathtub have obvious scratches that I can only assume will get rusty in the foreseeable future due to the exposure of the internal components.

4125152F-A52C-4733-A20F-A6A5198E3143.jpeg

C79D5EB1-4917-45FC-A807-25E9F409B06A.jpeg
5616AACB-596B-42DC-86F6-0D4C22FC1E13.jpeg

Ugh that's such a bummer - I really feel for you guys. I remember with my current condo (not Monde), I had a few issues that took forever to get fixed (definitely beyond the 30 day), and even by the end, I wasn't 100% happy. It really sucks that they hire such shoddy tradesmen, and then don't hold them accountable. Keep up the good fight though - some of the things you've shown is pretty outrageous.

The lady who did my PDI said almost all the patch-work near window frames are messed up like this. I think it's the norm we all have to accept.
My dining table piece is not levelled (if you rest a pen on it, it'd actually roll away) along with other issues (loud squeaky floor, hard-to-crank window, etc.). I kept emailing the office and after a few scheduled appointments (but no one showed up), someone did eventually come by, only to put checkmarks on the PDI to-do list and walked away. My tenant pointed out the remaining issues with him, but not sure if he will actually do anything.

I'm probably one of the least picky owners out there. I have already given up on all the cosmetic fixes. I'm only asking for a couple of functional things to be fixed. But I don't think those will ever get fixed.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why this building does not have vents for dryers? What could be the reasons that they opted for not building vents? Vents seem to be a standard feature in modern buildings. I have encountered their absence only in old buildings. My concern is that at some point they will stop making ventless dryers and in general, it would be very hard to replace washer/dryers. I do not believe it was because of the size of the appliance.

Last edited:

Back