MN bridge collapses raises questions about Cdn bridges

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
MSN

Link to article

Collapse raises questions about Canadian bridges
02/08/2007 9:16:23 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The shocking collapse of a Minneapolis bridge has left Canadians wondering about their own structures, and whether they're properly maintained.

"We have similar bridges. In Montreal, for example, we have fairly long bridges," Saeed Mirza, an engineering professor at McGill University, told CTV Newsnet Thursday.

"I guess similar things could happen here, too. We had the de la Concorde overpass collapse in late September, and basically that was the result of ... flaws in construction."

The Montreal overpass collapsed on Sept. 30, 2006, fatally crushing five people when the structure fell on cars passing underneath.

On Thursday, Montreal Mayor Gerald Tremblay banned trucks from travelling across the city's Boulevard Henri-Bourassa overpass, because of new weight restrictions stemming from the de la Concorde incident.

A provincial inquiry into the disaster has cited 135 bridges that need exhaustive safety inspections. Trucks will be barred from the Boulevard Henri-Bourassa overpass until its inspection is complete.

"I admit that I am still affected by the images from the tragedy of the Concorde overpass, the tragedy yesterday on the bridge in Minneapolis, and those from an expressway under construction that collapsed recently in Los Angeles," Tremblay told reporters.

In Ontario, 187 bridges missed safety inspections in 2006, according to a report in the Hamilton Spectator.

The newspaper said Ontario only finished $36 million of $210 million in bridge repairs needed in the province's Golden Horseshoe area.

An official with the Ministry of Transportation told the Spectator that some of the 187 bridges may have been under construction at the time, so inspections would have been delayed.

Last year, a provincial report in Manitoba found that of 1,200 bridges in the province, 123 had exceeded their design life of 50 years. Another 222 were at least 40 years old.

In Halifax, drivers travel along the Angus L. Macdonald and A. Murray MacKay bridges more than two million times each year.

Inspections are carried out each year and take two weeks to complete. Steve Snider, of the Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge Commission, said drivers should feel secure.

"I sat last night and thought about our own structures, and what it is that could possibly happen to cause a catastrophic failure like that. Fortunately, I can't think of anything," Snider told CTV Atlantic.

He added the region has its own dedicated maintenance department, engineers and supervisors to monitor the bridges.

Speaking in P.E.I., where the Confederation Bridge spans nearly 13 kilometres, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Ottawa is heavily investing in Canada's infrastructure.

"It's about $30 billion over the next few years. We have the largest infrastructure spending program now in over half a century in this country," said Harper.

"That said, I think this is completely separate from what's happened in Minnesota, which is obviously a terrible tragedy. I'm not in any position to comment on why it happened or what happened ... It's a terrible, terrible thing for many families affected. And we want to, on behalf of all Canadians, convey our condolences to those who have lost loved ones or have been affected by this tragedy."

So comforting to see government discharging its responsibilities with such demi-alacrity.

The was a posting on digg.com about the Governor of Minnesota cutting back on infrastructure a few years back to fund tax cuts. May it bite him in the ass now.

Serious i hate people who say we are taxed to much and then say why isn't the city cleaner or why do i have shovel the sidewalk! :mad::mad:

They are ones who vote for the Tories. "Lower taxes, better health care."

Other than flooding, *have* there been any noteworthy bridge collapses in Ontario in recent decades?

^The only one I could think of is the Honeymoon Bridge collapse in Niagara Falls in 1938 (not recent, but perhaps even more dramatic than the Minneapolis disaster).

madisonsale1200.jpg

Before

madisonsale200.jpg

After

madisonsale400.jpg

http://www.niagarafrontier.com/madisonsale.html

They have the "question our own bridges" articles wherever you go; here they have an article about 15 bridges near Cincinnati (one which was built in the 1860s).

As for the honeymoon bridge collapse, was anybody on it when it fell?

^ http://www.infoniagara.com/other/history/bridge.html

Fortunately it was predicted that the bridge would not survive the weight of the ice against it, so traffic was removed from the bridge a day before it collapsed.

Star

Link to article

Bloor St. Viaduct to be probed after cracks found

Aug 04, 2007 04:30 AM
John Spears
city hall bureau

An intensive inspection of the Bloor St. Viaduct is about to get underway after a routine inspection turned up "a couple of cracks."

John Bryson, Toronto's manager of structures and expressways, said the inspection is a precautionary measure triggered by the city's ongoing inspection program.

The city has 460 bridges; a two-man team inspects half of them each year, Bryson said. The Bloor St. Viaduct was on this year's list.

"On our visual inspection we picked up a couple of cracks that we want to know how bad they are," Bryson said, adding the cracks are in the concrete substructure.

"So we thought, well, if we're going to check out those we might as well check out the whole structure and put us in peace of mind, or put us in the position where we have to put out something to get some rehab done on it."

He said the inspection will cover the entire bridge, and take about two months to complete. The engineers may use X-rays or drill samples of concrete out of the bridge to check its condition, he said.

Concrete inevitably develops cracks at some point, he said, and the cycle of freezing and melting can widen them.

Inspection of the structure, which was completed in 1918, will show whether a major rehabilitation is likely to be needed soon, or not for another decade, he said.

The ongoing inspections normally result in the city ordering major repairs on 20 to 22 bridges each year, Bryson said.

One of the biggest recent projects was the $19.7-million rehabilitation of the Leaside Bridge over the Don Valley Parkway in 2004-06.

(one which was built in the 1860s).
Yup, the Roebling Bridge, aka the beta model for the Brooklyn Bridge. Nobody'd dare remove that one.

Now, for an eerie foretelling, even down to the rush hour traffic and the age of the structure (though a different kind of construction), note Silver Bridge collapse.

A couple bridges have collapsed in Ontario recently, including one in Sudbury a few years ago.

Of course, I'm in Montreal right now where every second bridge seems to have been desginated unsafe. My favourite is the Henri Bourrassa overpass where trucks are prohibited but buses filled with passengers are okay.

Back