News   Apr 16, 2024
 797     0 

MLS Sales

CN Tower

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello UT forum!

I need to draw on your expertise. Without contacting a Realtor does anyone know of a way to access recent sales off MLS? I was following a few properties on there and they are now gone but I am unclear whether they sold (and at what price) or have just been taken off the market. They were each sitting a very long time. I don't want to contact the listing agent for separate reasons.

Thoughts?

Post the addresses and if they have sold recently then I'll post the price.

This is exactly why the competition tribunal is taking the realty association to court.

I think bauhaus is trying to be helpful but the answer underlies the problem. Information on sales prices should be in the public domaine, not a secret for a priviledged few.

Whether or not one uses a realtor is not the issue. Rather, it should be about having an informed consumer making an informed decision. CN Tower should be able to get this information without having to use a realtor.

Good luck. I hope you are able to get the information you seek. Unfortunately, I can't add anything usedful but your query bothers me as a matter of principle.

CN Tower should be able to get this information without having to use a realtor.

Sorry, but I kind of disagree. If this information is to be made public, who should pay for retrieving, storing and making this information accessible? MLS spends spends a great deal of money to provide the infrastructure, and I can see why they would want to monetize their efforts.

Should it be a government agency? Then that might be unfair to taxpayers who get higher taxes and who never use the service.

Sorry, but I kind of disagree. If this information is to be made public, who should pay for retrieving, storing and making this information accessible? MLS spends spends a great deal of money to provide the infrastructure, and I can see why they would want to monetize their efforts.

Should it be a government agency? Then that might be unfair to taxpayers who get higher taxes and who never use the service.

Kenny I see your point but why does it mean having to contact a realtor. why not make the service available on the internet at some cost. Say $10 lookup charge for maintaining it.
It is still a monopoly with 90% by some estimates of sales going through the MLS.

Zillow Canada

The costs would be minimal. All we need is a canadian version of Zillow. I bet Google Maps could layer it on for next to nothing.

Realtor monopoly must end!

MLS is getting it's information from the public domain as all of these prices and transactions are filed with various governmental agencies.

Rather not.

Any other suggestions?

Look CN Tower i'm just trying to help a fellow UT'er....if you still would like me to quickly look into this for you send me a personal message and I'll see what I can do for you.

To the comments reagrding public vs. private, unfortunately our system is as such and you need the services of a licensed real esatate representative in order to access pricing and the like. My offer to help CN Tower certainly runs contrary to what I've just said (and believe me, I'd prefer to have some of the transaction details made public; doing so would benefit sellers & purchasers).

Last edited:
MLS is getting it's information from the public domain as all of these prices and transactions are filed with various governmental agencies.
Sorry, not true. MLS data comes exclusively from real estate agents who write it up and post it. Current listings and expired listings are not filed with any government agencies, nor are lease transactions. Governments have no reason to keep track of such information. Sales are filed in the Land Registry Office (public domain), but not with most of the details that an MLS listing would give you. And please note that searches at the Land Registry Office do cost money. This office costs something to run, as does the MLS system.

Last edited:
Sorry, not true. MLS data comes exclusively from real estate agents who write it up and post it. Current listings and expired listings are not filed with any government agencies, nor are lease transactions. Governments have no reason to keep track of such information. Sales are filed in the Land Registry Office (public domain), but not with most of the details that an MLS listing would give you. And please note that searches at the Land Registry Office do cost money. This office costs something to run, as does the MLS system.

It's exactly this kind of monopolistic proprietary protectionism that has gotten the Realtors in trouble with the Competition Bureau. Somehow Zillow manages to tell you all this info (and more) for free, an organize it seemlessly on a Google Map, but here in Red Canada we are excluded.

Melanie Aitken should be given a medal for her efforts.

There is nothing legally stopping realtors (or anyone for that matter) from starting a competing service. In fact, a few have. The problem is that they're terribly implemented and have much less coverage. You can't blame MLS for its competitor's short failings.

Back