News   Apr 25, 2024
 255     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 833     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 837     0 

miWay Transit

I think Mississauga never said that it will be late-March. They said it that it's April 18 for the rest of the system.

Brampton and York Region are supposed to launch late-March, not Mississauga.

On the MT Website, it said April 4 is the roll out date, but now the 18th.

Based on what I am being told, it is at the end of April now or later.

YRT and Brampton is delay with no new date at this time.

One issue out standing now, is how one transfers from system to system.

At present time, you use a transfer or pass to get a transfer on to the system you are transfering to, but Presto does not under stands that and will charge you a new fare to do it.

On the MT Website, it said April 4 is the roll out date, but now the 18th.

Based on what I am being told, it is at the end of April now or later.

YRT and Brampton is delay with no new date at this time.

One issue out standing now, is how one transfers from system to system.

At present time, you use a transfer or pass to get a transfer on to the system you are transfering to, but Presto does not under stands that and will charge you a new fare to do it.

I never recall seeing April 4th as the rollout date. Even a post on the facebook page from back in January says April 18th.

All of us already know that MiWay routes can be accessed by Google trip planner (since the beginning of 2011). Now, they have posted bus stop schedules (see the bus icons at the intersections) at Google as well.

Rumour has it that the Saturday frequency of the extremely overcrowded 5 Dixie will finally be increased to 18 minutes this May. Presumably, this means 5 and 23 will no longer no longer be timed to meet each other at Ogden/Lakeshore.

Also, the 19A and 102 will get Saturday service, the 19A with around 16 minute frequency and 102 with 18 minute frequency. So no difference in service level really, but it probably frees up artics for 1 and 26 (there is currently a shortage of articulated buses for 1/19/26 on Saturdays).

Mayor Hazel McCallion Discusses Transit Budget at Town Hall Meeting April 27

Mayor Hazel McCallion Discusses Transit Budget at Town Hall Meeting

Apr 14, 2011

Mayor Hazel McCallion invites Mississauga taxpayers to a Town Hall style meeting on Wednesday, April 27 to understand how the funds generated through property taxes are being used to fund transit.

“It’s important for residents to understand how we come up with the budget for the City and how their tax dollars are being used to provide services,†said Mayor McCallion. “I get a lot of questions regarding transit and how we make decisions regarding costs and routes. This is an opportunity to have those questions answered and especially important as transit is one of the key priorities for our City in the upcoming federal election.â€

What: Mayor’s Budget Town Hall Meeting on Transit – Mayor McCallion will be joined by City Manager Janice Baker and MiWay – The new Mississauga Transit staff to explain the services that are supported by property taxes, and present an overview on the business of delivering local transit, including resources, the costs of service delivery, opportunities for improving service and funding challenges.

When: Wednesday, April 27
7 – 9 p.m.

Who: Hazel McCallion, Mayor
Janice Baker, City Manager & CAO
Geoff Marinoff, Director, Transit

Where: Mississauga Civic Centre,
Council Chambers, 2nd floor
300 City Centre Dr. (Burnamthorpe Rd. W. and Duke of York Blvd.)

Those who are unable to attend in person can follow the discussion and ask questions live, via the City’s Twitter page,
www.twitter.com/citymississauga. The event will also be streamed on demand at www.rogerstv.com.

For further information, visit the City’s website,
www.mississauga.ca or email townhall.meeting@mississauga.ca.
http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/ho...e;jsessionid=5HVXEP0MDAOERTRPH3XUAQWOF25W2PW0

Full report in on line and first of the reports after the agenda April 20

http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/GCAgenda_April202011.pdf

Moving Mississauga: From Vision to Action - Mississauga's Draft Interim
Transportation Strategy
Corporate Report dated March 29, 2011 from the Commissioner of Transportation and
Works regarding a transportation strategy entitled Moving Mississauga.
RECOMMENDATION
That staff organize a Moving Mississauga workshop to present details concerning the
specific findings and actions of Moving Mississauga to interested Members of Council,
key stakeholders and community groups as outlined in the Corporate Report dated March
29, 2011 titled "Moving Mississauga: From Vision to Action - Mississauga 's Draft
Interim Transportation Strategy" from the Commissioner of Transportation and Works.

Here are some plan changes MT will be introducing in September.

Route 19 and 202 will "NOT", repeat "NOT" service Shoppers' World Bus Terminal anymore and will terminate at the GO Bus Terminal, south of Hwy 407. There will be a lot of piss off riders when this change takes place as it will become a 2 seat rider and extra traveling time for them.

They can use the BT 502 that will run every 20 minutes during the day from Sq One and 10 minutes at peak. MT 102 will still service SW every 20 minutes at Peak only, but it will see off peak service starting in Sept.

102 will get all day Sat service.

19A will see Sat service and a waste of a bus starting in May. These will be 40’ as MT is short of 60’ now. Route 5 is seeing more service starting in May and that will cut into the 60’ fleet.

Route 8, 14, 65 and 4 will get Sunday service on a 6 month trial base. I see 14 and 65 being cancel after 3 months as they will never meet the cost ratio from day one. 14 has a problem today for weekdays, but most of all after 7 pm. 8 is a toss up along with 4 considering how long 4 trip is to get to/from Sherway Mall in the first place.

35 will see Sunday service and long over due.

101 will be cancel going to Oakville in June and will terminate at Vega. I wonder Why?? OH!! the extra time that is spent going off route to service UMT and no off peak service to build up a ridership in the first place. If service was put on Dundas in Oakville back in 2004, there would be a ridership base there now, but only cars will rule that section. OT has no plan to replace the lost 102.

26 will see improved service on the weekend and 8 years over due.

20 other routes will see more service and longer service on the weekend and long over due.

MT is still behind the time for putting better service on the road to raise the model split to 18% from the current 7%.

It's weird to see the 19 no longer service Shoppers World. I say we just get rid of the 19 and call it Route 2.

The time has come for the Peel Transit, as it would stop the cat fights that the 2 current mayors been at, these past years as it screwing the transit riders as well others.

To bad Peel Transit was not formed as plan when Peel came into existent.

It will be a pain going to SW when I have to, but these days I catch the 2 at Ray Lawson going north of SW.

This 407 terminal is a joke as the 407 will see next to no one using it for a decade or 2. The lot is almost empty when I have gone by it.

This is something that can be brought up at the Town Hall Meeting on the 27th.

May 16 Service Changes

Route 5 will see reduce headway (18-22??) down from the current 27 minute

Route 19A and 16 will operate all day on Sat

Route 202 will run every 25 minutes all day Sat

Route 101 will not service Oakville and be cut off at Vega.

Route 3 will see 5-6 minute headway a peak time down from the current 9 minutes. (now if they do something for Sat and Sunday)

Route 36 gets 20 minute headway for midday, down from the current 37 minute. Route operates only one way and a huge improvement.

What were they thinking!?!?!
Can't they just reduce frequencies instead? Continuing this route through the summer will attract non-UTM students and the UTM summer students, as they are assured that it will run year-round.

Also, since regular school ends at UTM at early April, I think it will be an overkill to provide 7.5 minute service during the summer with the big blue buses.

Route 3 will see 5-6 minute headway a peak time down from the current 9 minutes. (now if they do something for Sat and Sunday)

WOW! This will equalize 19's frequencies, and back to the 80's levels. If they swallow TTC's 49, then they will need the bigger buses!

Route 36 gets 20 minute headway for midday, down from the current 37 minute. Route operates only one way and a huge improvement.
This route (along with 16) is performing surprisingly well for a looped route. Looped routes that I've seen have low ridership. 16 and 36 are exceptions.

Last edited:
36 is an old route and unlike most loops it serves two major destinations instead of one (South Common plus the power centre at Dundas/Vega). It has good ridership but it seems like they added another bus partly because of the decline in speed and maintain current frequency, rather than just to improve frequency, otherwise the new frequency would be 18-19 minutes instead of 20 minutes.

The 16A will get midday service soon too.

Route 5 will see reduce headway (18-22??) down from the current 27 minute

Route 19A and 16 will operate all day on Sat

Route 202 will run every 25 minutes all day Sat

Adding another bus to Dixie on Saturday would mostly likely mean 18 minute headways.

Don't really understand why 202 gets Saturday service and not 102. Not that 202 is less popular or anything (it isn't), but since they reduce 19 north of Britannia, 102 is more urgent. Plus, with 4 buses, the frequency of 102 would be higher than 202 (around 15 minutes instead of 25 minutes). 25 minute frequency is not very competive with the 8 minute frequency of the 19 and kind of negates the whole advantage of express service. But I guess if Zum will serve Sq One, 102 is not necessary, but that's not happening until September, right?

5-6 minute frequency for the 3 is kind of crazy. MT provides superior service to the TTC on Bloor, just like with Burnhamthorpe (routes 20, 26, 76). It is a shame that Etobicoke residents can't use these services because of City of Toronto's restrictions on MT's operations and the lack of fare arrangement.

Last edited:
If you don't mind, I would just like to as a question regarding transfer between MiWay and the TTC.

I was coming home today from centennial Park, on the border of Toronto and Mississauga. I walked to Burnhamthorpe to catch the 26 bus at a TTC stop, however the bus zoomed straight past me? Does Mississauga Transit stop at TTC stops whilst traveling in Toronto and vice versa? I know Brampton Transit used to do it with the old 77 route in York region..

Back