News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 535     0 

Mississauga Update - Nov 27

^ The majority of the lane taken on the northside of Burnhamthorpe was converted to onstreet parking. It seems to have been fairly successful from the looks of it.

That is a seven lane road and it is wider than south of Burhamthorpe Rd as well north of the 403. Huge mistake.

I can live with the onstreet parking if a lane of traffic was remove.

There is also a bike lane on this section as well on the new bridge.

The bridge will have 4 lanes with 2 for the BRT and will be to the east of the sidewalk.
seems to have been fairly successful from the looks of it.

How can it be successful when no one lives there now?

Then look at the onstreet parking in front of the library's on Burnhamthorpe to see if this is successful.

I drove down Burnhamthorpe today and finally noticed the on street parking. I expected it on both sides of the street, but its only the north side right now.

The spaces were used, and it was 10pm, so if that doesnt make it a success i dont know what would.

Quote: Roch5220
"It won't be possible for a more continous urban feel along hwy10."

Especially when you call the street a highway. It's labels like that which are one the biggest hinderences to Missy's sense of urbanity.

I fail to see how "Hurontario" makes it sound any more urban...

In which case, don't be surprised if it becomes "Hazel McCallion Boulevard"...

You don't see that continuing to call a (now-nonexistant, I might add!) provincial highway by its number rather than using its street name as it enters a large city is inherently un-urban?

There's a reason why ppl say "Yonge St." in Toronto and not "Hwy 11." Of all the rural-area type nomenclature I've ever heard ppl generally use when pertaining to the 905, calling decades-established streets highways tops the list for silliness.

^ Though I don't really see a highway number as un-urban, the stretch of Highway 7 in York Region is due for a name change.

Actually, there's a certain left-field perversity in telling people the Libeskind Crystal's at the intersection of Hwys 5 and 11A...

Who honestly gives a crap what its called? To me it makes no difference. Its not like we are calling it a 400-series name... that would make it weird.

"There's a reason why ppl say "Yonge St." in Toronto and not "Hwy 11." Of all the rural-area type nomenclature I've ever heard ppl generally use when pertaining to the 905, calling decades-established streets highways tops the list for silliness."

While I do agree that street names can/do impact an area's perceived urbanity, Yonge Street has always been called Yonge Street, but Highway 7, if memory serves me correctly, has had no other name (other than Concession 15, or whatever), so perhaps your examples are not, technically, examples.

"...but Highway 7, if memory serves me correctly, has had no other name (other than Concession 15, or whatever), so perhaps your examples are not, technically, examples."

True Hwy. 7 never had a name, but "Hurontario" has always been named that. Also 7 is much newer, was under MTO jurisdiction even after it was well urbanized, and was thus built to a different standard than most municipal arterials. Hurontario (at least the older southern parts) has been under Mississauga's jurisdiction practically forever and more resembles a regular, older suburban street such as Lawrence, Kipling etc, than Hwy 7 does.

"but "Hurontario" has always been named that."

No it hasnt. Hurontario was known as Highway 10, and still is Highway 10 outside of Mississauga and Brampton. Its like calling Silken Laumen Way Second Line West. I grew up on Second line back when it was still named Second line, and to this day I still refer to it as Second Line, and everyone still knows where Second Line is and was. The name Second Line continues on by the 401, just as Highway 10 continues through Caledon to its terminus.
Yonge St. on the Other hand is known as Yonge st. right up to its terminus.

Highway 7 is not newer than Highway 10 - they were both created in 1920. Was it called Hurontario before 1920 or something like "Zero/Centre Line"? Now, parts of Highway 7 (many people call it Number 7, which would be an easy renaming option if it weren't for 14th and 16th next door) are probably newer, like the Richmond Hill portion, but the road itself is just as old, running through villages like Unionville, which it partially wrecked when it was widened. I find it very unlikely that Highway 10 south of the QEW was "preserved" as a smaller urban street - I doubt it was not widened into a megarterial because of anything other than traffic patterns. Until Highway 10 is off all maps and signs and everyone accustomed to calling it that dies, it'll be acceptable to call it that, for better or for worse. Anyway, Roch5220 was referring to the stretch of Hurontario that most resembles a highway.

Transportfan is right... Hurontario Street was known as such long before it was known as Hwy 10. Hurontario Street is a historical settlement road much like Dundas Street (aka Hwy 5) and Yonge Street (aka Hwy 11). North of Hwy 9 in Orangeville Hurontario Street becomes a rough rural road and has some different names in places, but still remains the origin point for the concession numbering system (1st Line East on one side, 1st Line West on the other...), until it gets near Collingwood where it becomes Hwy 24 and the main street in the town is still known as Hurontario Street. Check it out on Google Maps. Highway numbering came much later.

EDIT: Scarberian... Hurontario is the historic name for the Street, though Centre Line was used locally as well. The lines and concessions in Caledon were surveyed based upon it in 1818... the street is likely older than that.

"Yonge St. on the Other hand is known as Yonge st. right up to its terminus."

Well, that's a tricky one. Which terminus? (Advance apologies for all the quotation marks.) There's the continuous "Yonge Street" that dead-ends in the Holland Marsh just north of Holland Landing. Or there's the "Yonge Street" that curves westward south of Holland Landing, then leads into Bradford and becomes "Bridge Street" then "Holland Street", hooks a right at a traffic light, becomes "Barrie Street" and then magically transforms back in to "Yonge Street" as you leave town and becomes "Burton Avenue" as you head into Barrie. If you want to get into the claims of Yonge Street extending beyond Barrie, that could be a post or an essay in itself.

Back