News   Jul 22, 2024
 649     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 483     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 521     0 

Mississauga Transit gets 53 new 'restyled' buses

A bit off topic, but does anyone know who builds London, Ontario's new busses?

Not really off topic, because I think you're thinking of the Inveros. St. Catharines, OC Transpo, Burlington also have them.

I saw 0601 on Britannia doing the 39 when I was driving to work yesterday. I'm somewhat disappointed by their look. The look different at the front, but overall they still look like the 03s and 05s. Too boxy lol

To me it seems like they're testing them on a lot of routes. I've seen the 0603 on the 23, 13 and 48 thus far. They seem exactly like the older ones but with the new face. But I've heard they're quieter which is I guess an added bonus on the way to Long Branch.

^ Just saw one (8 Cawthra) a couple hours ago, and apart from the face, I agree they don't look much different at all.

They don't look much different because they aren't. It is the same model of bus as before.

Some news about these buses:

Apparently many of these buses will be fitted with signal priority, and the rest of the buses from 2003 will be too, so that the buses can be added to the 19.

This also means that other routes can have signal priority, and the next ones will be routes 1 and 61. Route 1 cannot use these buses until the articulated buses it is using are retired, and that will not be until September of next year.

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. That's why MT decided to buy 53 NFI D40LF buses with an option for 12 more if needed. And MT is going to place orders for new buses every year for the next 5 years. Since they are retiring the 89 and 90 series this year. 91 in 2007 and so forth. And in 2010 and 2011 they are planning on buying 60 foot buses for the BRT. (Still in the developing stages, but they are highly considering any 60 foot buses. Only time will tell.) Also, the modifications that they are doing to their garages are going to cost them a lot too.

The 14 Orion VII buses have been a mess since MT got them in 2001-02. As some of you may recall, two of them caught on fire and can no longer be used, leaving them with 12. And Orion isnt compensating MT for those buses. Another reason was that Orion was not able to supply buses according to MT's demand. Washington D.C. is still waiting on most of their buses. They have been delayed big time!! And if MT had gone with Orion, they would have had to wait until early to mid 2007 to the buses to be deilvered. Something MT was not willing to do since the 89 series HAD to retire by the end of this year and 90 series by next year at the latest.

The 91XX are not being retired next year, it is the 9751-85 series that is being retired. That's 35 articulated buses being replaced by 58 regular sized buses. MT doesn't seem so interested in buying artics anymore. They had 66 artics early last year, but next year they will only have 10 left.

I think maybe it is not such a good idea to get rid of the artics. Despite the fact that MT just increased the buses on the 19 Hurontario to 5 minute service, I was still greeted with the "SORRY, BUS FULL" message twice today. The express bus was also very crowded, but at least it still had room for two or three people to get on, but I was going to Square One so I didn't use it.

I wonder if MT is regretting replacing the artics on the 19?

^I don't regret it a bit but I usually get on/off during rush hour at major stops: Port Credit/Dundas/SQ1 but if it wasn't for that it'd suck. The number of people I've seen the bus pass b/c of past-ultra-crush load is kinda sad. What's worst is we're likely stuck with this for a while longer because increasing the fleet size is going at a snail's pace, and the potential LRT is still likely a decade away.

An LRT down Hurontario would be fun, if it ever happens. I wonder if it'd go into Square One (sorry, City Centre Transit Terminal).

The loss of the artics is not all to blame i guess. Hurontario has had overcrowding problems for a long time and MT did nothing for a long time so it couldn't get much worse than before. The ridership of the system increased faster than MT expected and they did not plan for it. Hurontario south of Sq One definitely has much improved service but somehow the overcrowding is still the same.

Also, the Hurontario LRT would serve Square One. MT is planning to build bus terminals at Rathburn and Burnhamthorpe to connect to the line.

D'oh. I knew they were planning an LRT terminal there. I forgot lol.

Could someone tell me what exactly an LRT is? I've never actually understood how MT would make such a system.
Is it similar to the streetcars? or is it actually a slow travelling train which is running on an elevated track?

LowFloor Streetcars that various in length from 66' to 120'. They come in 2 to 7 section depending on the supplier as well requirement. Most likely will be a 3 section car around 90' long.

They will seat 62 to 100 depending on the length and can carry 220 riders.

www.transport.alstom.com/...ins/trams/

Question for Mississauga LRT is it going to have standard gauge or TTC gauge?

TTC new LRT's will be the same once they quite playing games to get them built in Thunder Bay after the New subway train.

Alstom could had a model here in 2007 for testing back in June 2006 if TTC had issue an RFP then. Now it will be 2008 if TTC goes out this year. An RFI was issues with no response that I know at this time. Was told suppiliers are only looking at replacing the existing 248 fleet at once as well the need for an addition 80 cars. That was Not being requested at the time of the RFI by TTC.

Also, TTC needs to replace the current fleet on a one to one base, not the 2 for 3 option now. It will mean less cars on the road and longer headway between them. Going from a cattle car to cattle car if they do the 2 for 3 option with no room to add the 500,000+ new residents by 2021.

MT could have spend the money for the new 40dlfr on the standard ones and use the money for more service or more buses.

Then, Mississauga is waiting for the GTTA to pickup the cost of more buses and service for the city. My purse is empty.

The 12 option buses are to go to EZ for 30' buses with delivery in 2007

Back