News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Mississauga Celebration Square Redevelopment (CS&P Architects) COMPLETE

from Feb 27th
20110227043.jpg

20110227041.jpg

Is it my imagination or are they blocking the views of the building from the main street (and anywhere outside the square) with a lot of clutter and video screens (which will soon be broken). A bit of a shame.

I'm not sure why you would imply that the screens would break and for some reason not be fixed?

Please don't confuse Mississauga with Toronto where we care about BIG and small details. Besides, Hazel would never allow a massive broken video screen in front of City Hall.

When the Living Arts Centre opened in 1997, I recall the Mayor publicly order that trees be replanted in front of the new centre because the first batch weren't worthy enough.

That being said, I was the first to be strongly opposed to the video screens blocking of the view when driving along Burnhamthorpe Road. However, a funny thing happend in the city of Mississauga and we placed the focus on developing a vibrant, quality public space for people and shifted away from the visual experience while driving by in a car for 15 seconds.

Lessons were taken from great public spaces from around the world, and closing in the space to create a "Living Room" experience on the square was the key to success. Closer to home, think the elevated walk way around Nathan Philips Square or the giant video screens surrounding Yonge-Dundas Square.

They were busy testing the screens this weekend, and they looked absolutely spectacular and it was great to watch people's positive reaction to them.

Louroz

What will the screens be used for? I assume it's for concerts but when there are no events in the square, will they be used for advertising? Will they be on 24/7?

Another wrong assumption.

This is Mississauga's Civic Square, please don't mistake this as Dundas Square or Toronto City Hall where your contemplating selling naming rights to the building for a fast buck.

The screens will feature absoutely NO outside adverstising not related to city of Mississauga business or city sponsored events.

A few pages back, the Arts and Culture Department put out a call for videos from local artists to be rotated through the screens.

Finally, I think it would only be logical to dim the lights and turn off the screens when everybody is asleep at night.

Louroz

Nah, it's just we love a quick buck or two down here in Toronto :)

FutureMayor, you seem really worked up as of late.

You couldn't ask for a 'city' less connected with its own people than Mississauga. I don't think I've ever seen a single person making use of Mississauga's civic square at any given time. The whole Square One area is a horrible place and most of Hurontario (and most of Dundas) are a horrible place.

Parts of Streetsville and Port Credit are the only oasis of sanity in all of 'Sauga.

As for Mississauga caring about small details: are the bus timings online still out of synchrony with half of the ones posted by bus stops? Because they went MONTHS without fixing that and I still haven't checked to see if they have.

You couldn't ask for a 'city' less connected with its own people than Mississauga. I don't think I've ever seen a single person making use of Mississauga's civic square at any given time. The whole Square One area is a horrible place and most of Hurontario (and most of Dundas) are a horrible place.

Parts of Streetsville and Port Credit are the only oasis of sanity in all of 'Sauga.

As for Mississauga caring about small details: are the bus timings online still out of synchrony with half of the ones posted by bus stops? Because they went MONTHS without fixing that and I still haven't checked to see if they have.

You should see the bus timings in to Toronto if you think that's bad :) I'm not even sure what they represent;

Anyway, these threads follow this route every couple weeks or so it seems so please no bashing of any kind ! Even if you didn't instigate it.

I finally saw the screens testing last night and they looked great. They really make this huge area feel more enclosed.

Back