Canada Day
DSCF5634.jpg

DSCF5666.jpg

DSCF5659.jpg

DSCF5657.jpg

DSCF5652.jpg

DSCF5643.jpg

DSCF5638.jpg

http://www.mississauga.com/what's%20on/article/1408744--tv-show-shooting-at-celebration-square

Chris Clay | Jul 23, 2012 - 12:22 PM
Celebration Square is popular, no doubt about it.
So popular, in fact, it's been recruited for a television series shoot on Tuesday and Wednesday. The square's fountain will not be available to the public on those two days to accommodate the filming of the television production, XIII: The Series.
The fountain will be reopened to the public on Thursday.

4797b4364f039437cbede6967132.jpg

Looks like things aren't going so well in the mock version of Shanghai.

Good to see Celebration Square being so well-used. It's a good addition to the emerging downtown of Mississauga.

Here now and I like it....

Click link for pictures...
http://www.mississauga.com/news/business/article/1499940--new-cafe-opens-at-city-hall

Chris Clay|Sep 10, 2012 - 5:37 PM
City Hall has a new eatery after the C Cafe opened its doors shortly after the Labour Day long weekend.
The ground-floor cafe, which is located where the conservatory used to be, also includes an 80-seat patio so people can sit outdoors and enjoy Celebration Square. The menu is a mix of items, such as tapas, a deli plate, Creole catfish and other dishes, as well as classic breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert options.
Those who enjoy freshly-brewed java will be happy to hear the cafe serves Starbucks coffee.
It's open seven days a week.
The old Tower Garden Restaurant, which was located on the 12th floor, is gone. Staff are currently reviewing what to do with the space and hope to make it a multi-purpose area with room for meetings as well as for wedding and banquet functions during nights and weekends.
* This story was updated at 1:57 p.m. on Sept. 11

I went to Celebration Square one Sunday evening during the Olympics with family and I was amazed at how vibrant it was, even without any programming except the evening rebroadcast of the Olympics on the screens at the stage. "Urban living room" was a phrase for urban design in the 2000s that led to some interesting public spaces in the world, and it seems to have been realized at Celebration Square. People were sitting on the lawns and benches watching the Olympics, children were playing in the fountains and pool, other people were on laptops on the bistro tables, still others were eating food from the street food vendor at those same tables, and some were simply socializing and relaxing on benches by the closed off street that ran through the civic centre. There was a lot of people and spontaneous activity. What a success it seemed to be.

It's incredible how providing people with high quality physical spaces can influence their behaviour so much.

Actually, what really is incredible is how low of a priority it remains still given how the theory holds up whenever applied. You would think the potential to turn many of our decrepit public spaces into incredible assets for our communities would be a lot more obvious.

P.S. How unfortunate they serve starbucks' coffee, though.

Last edited:
I'm shamed to say I have yet to attend any of these events. I would like to some day. It does seem like a success and I'd like to support it.

http://www.680news.com/news/local/article/408348--mississauga-s-celebration-square-marks-one-million-visitors

Mississauga's Celebration Square marks one-million visitors

680News staffOct 03, 2012 16:49:03 PM

The City of Mississauga is saying a million thank-you's as Celebration Square marks it's one millionth visitor with a special "Thanks a Million" campaign.

Starting Thanksgiving weekend, the public is invited to leave a message on a giant chalkboard wrap installed at the square, which is located next to City Hall and the library.

The Square includes movie screens, an ice rink, gardens, a stage and an amphitheatre.

It opened in June 2011 and has hosted dozens of community festivals, concerts and free movie nights.

Back