1258_zps55de30b5.jpg

1259_zps2204bb31.jpg

1260_zps70d20aa7.jpg

1261_zps9c51e3e3.jpg

Then. 364 Yonge Street . Aug 21, 1974.

1262364yonge82174_zpsfa424972.jpg

Now. May 2014.

1263_zps7f918868.jpg

Darn, I missed the CNE Air Show this year.

If any of you want to whip around the CN Tower in a Snowbird Tutor, it all starts at minute 18:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pXL-chA6h0

Last edited:
You can see the crossover tracks that the TTC ripped out years ago because they thought they didn't need them. Guess what? They decided the did need them and put in another set causing another weekend closure. The same thing happened to the crossovers at College and King stations.

Checker Cars had a very small distributor in Toronto in the early 80s. It was located at 15 Main Street just above Kingston Road. The building itself (now gone) housed a car repair; a rent-your-own-hoist-for-do-it-yourself-car-repairs; and the mentioned dealership. There were usually 3 or 4 new Checkers parked outside. A few were sold to private owners; they could be seen very occasionally on Toronto streets of the time. Handsome and distinctive cars they were and are.

There's a pink one that's sometimes around Yorkville. I don't know if it used to be a cab locally.

A late contribution to thecharioteers post. Bay street yesterday in the afternoon rush hour. The unofficial busker explained to me that a friend with a truck helped get the piano here.

Yes, I happened to be walking past at about the same time, it was a very pleasant surprise to hear the piano and he played it very well.

Yes, I happened to be walking past at about the same time, it was a very pleasant surprise to hear the piano and he played it very well.

"...he played it very well." Agreed,, he was playing the theme from 'The Sting' when I walked by and dropped a fiver.:)

Love it! Bay Street Blues?

Thank you! "Blues" ... truer than you think perhaps. There was, key word, 'was', a luxury jewellery store - 'Solaris' - just out of picture to the right. It closed down recently. Even a location at Bay and Front, located strategically between Bay Streeters bonuses and the GO train, didn't work.

Thank you! "Blues" ... truer than you think perhaps. There was, key word, 'was', a luxury jewellery store - 'Solaris' - just out of picture to the right. It closed down recently. Even a location at Bay and Front, located strategically between Bay Streeters bonuses and the GO train, didn't work.

Cost of rent and lack of available and reasonable parking are my guesses for the Solaris demise

Cost of rent and lack of available and reasonable parking are my guesses for the Solaris demise

It was a huge space too. And, how many $20K wristwatches with double barreled names (Jaeger Le Coultre, IWC Schaffhausen) does one need anyways?

Last edited:
Then. 1970s? 893 Queen Street E. A wonderful 'decisive moment' picture, by the way.

1024px-Mister_Frankfurt_zpsea25f908.jpg

Now. September 13, 2014. Different angle. I wanted to show the old yellow vertical Mr Frankfurt sign that still remains.

IMG_4564_zps298408d6.jpg

Last edited:
...and from what I can tell, interestingly enough, the vertical Mr. Frankfurt was *not* in the "before" photo.

Back