News   Jun 17, 2024
 72     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 283     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.7K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The current exhibit at The Market Gallery is 'The Water Czar.'

Beginning March 9 (-September 14) it will be '1845 - 1899. Building a City: people, places and life in Toronto.'

Last edited:
When my business partner and I set out in business last year, we set a goal of eating at every fish and chip shop in Toronto. As we travel around a fair bit, we thought it would be a good game. We're about 2/3 of the way through, just a few shops in the far ends of the city, and British Style was by far one of the better ones (we even ate in...) I would also recommend B&B on Queen E. if you're over that way. No eat in space, not much English from the owners, but good fish and chips.

McGugans, an excellent Scottish pub near the corner of Gerrard and Jones, has the best fish & chips I have ever tasted in this city. The batter was amazingly light and the fish fried to perfection as were the chips. Well worth the trek to the east end.

Last edited:
McGugans, an excellent Scottish pub near the corner of Gerrard and Jones, has the best fish & chips I have ever tasted in this city. The batter was amazingly light and the fish fried to perfection as were the chips. Well worth the trek to the east end.

Pubs.. I need to find me a meal of Scotch Eggs. Mmmn.

Then and Now for February 28, 2013.

Then. Yonge Street widening. 1956. We are looking N into Hoggs Hollow.

988.jpg

Now. August 2012.

989.jpg

I remember these barns. It was sad to see them go and I read that the wood used to build them had been collected from 5 old Ontario barns.

The barns had many interesting things to see and purchase and we took many enjoyable walks through all the sections, then stopped at one of the little stores for a snack or an ice cream from the 'ice-cream parlour' in the summer.
You could have an interesting meal at their restaurant and browse the country items for sale while awaiting your meal. a sit down meal.

Christmas at 'The Barns' was a wonderful array of differently lighted and decorated trees and masses of unusual decorations for sale.

It reminded us of a 'Winter Wonderland'.

We also used to like to visit and browse the cluster of 'country stores' to the east of these huge barns.
The decor was very 'country' complete with 'olde tyme' signs over each merchandise stall - yet all the faces of the vendors looking out at us were Chinese...

It seemed such a loss that 'The Barns' were demolished and replaced by a modern glass and steel building, but I must admit the Pacific Mall attracts much more business than the barns ever did...and profit is the name of the game...

If I recall correctly, there was also a miniature village.

mustapha?...spadina And queen? might you be referring to ogden and not orde? orde is up near college and university.

*face plant* Thanks reetdoontoon. Sorry, I got the two schools mixed up. And those pictures are from Orde school; according to the nice lady that sent them to me.

735 Queen Street East, when it was the La Plaza Theatre, opened in 1909 (http://glassian.org/Prism/Luxfer/CA/Catalogue/page17.html):

la_plaza_theatre_toronto.jpg

1948:

LaPlaza1.jpg

Today:

735queeneast.jpg

Good grief thecharioteer. I've never ever seen those two Then pictures before, thank you.

That glasswork in the first picture; wonderful. I wonder [love that word] if the craftspeople were local.

Of course I immediately Googled to see what the interior looks like now... not much luck, perhaps others can try.

The original doors remain.

How cool is this? :)

Back