News   May 02, 2024
 782     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 232     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 308     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for January 31, 2013.

Then. '48 Glen Road. c1910. Home of F. W. McFarland.' 'This house... was especially designed to fit in with the old elm in the foreground.'

93448GlenRdc1910.jpg

Now. July 2012. My modern picture taking position is off to the left of the original photographer's position by about 10 paces - this was because vegetation was in the way.

I was wondering if the mature tree in the right of the Now picture is the original Elm? Is it even possible?

935.jpg

Then and Now for January 30, 2013.

Then. 208 Queen W. c1980 or so I'm guessing. The Queen Mother Cafe was established 1978. This is a nice black and white picture that shows nicely the ability of b&w film to show details in shadows - see left side of picture - the wall of the neighbouring building.

932.jpg

Now. July 2012.

933.jpg

Business must be good since they expanded into the Print Shop...NJ

Then and Now for January 31, 2013.

Then. '48 Glen Road. c1910. Home of F. W. McFarland.' 'This house... was especially designed to fit in with the old elm in the foreground.'

93448GlenRdc1910.jpg

Now. July 2012. My modern picture taking position is off to the left of the original photographer's position by about 10 paces - this was because vegetation was in the way.

I was wondering if the mature tree in the right of the Now picture is the original Elm? Is it even possible?

935.jpg

That tree looks quite old. Love the wrought-iron fence erected... N.J.

Just like to thank all you guy's/Gal's for the great photos and trips down memory lane , to be able to blend with some of the black & white photos from a time long gone is amazing , pictures/photos really do speak a thousand words, and transend time , moments frozen , the subjects will live forever in sepia .

My favourites , and i must say that i love them all B&W and colour are women walking down egglington avenue 1912
f1244_it0380.jpg

and my favourite
snowyxmasevetoronto1912.jpg
that magical night so many years ago just invokes a wonderment in me, being 62 next month maybe i am getting a bit maudlin, but what the heck at the end of the day they cannot take our dreams and photos from us.

Keep up the good work guy's, an avid voyuer of everyone's work.

sonny / launceston / tasmania / Australia

Then and Now for February 1, 2013.

Then. 'Jan. 8, 1931. 149-151 Dupont Street.'

939.jpg

Now. July 2012. The large house on the right in the Then picture is gone.. sorry I didn't capture that.. replaced by a small supermarket of 40s or so vintage. Also, the cars wouldn't stop coming... lot's of traffic here, I realize the pickup truck doesn't add to the ambiance of the scene.

940.jpg

Then and Now for February 1, 2013.

Then. 'Jan. 8, 1931. 149-151 Dupont Street.'

Now. July 2012. The large house on the right in the Then picture is gone.. sorry I didn't capture that.. replaced by a small supermarket of 40s or so vintage. Also, the cars wouldn't stop coming... lot's of traffic here, I realize the pickup truck doesn't add to the ambiance of the scene.

940.jpg

The drab grey and those awful windows just ruin this neighbourhood building, as well as the flattening of the roofline. It wasn't a standout beauty in the first place, but with a bit of effort it could look quite attractive. Too bad it's on such a busy corner.

Back on page 8 of this thread there is a picture of a Pollocks store. It was on the west side of Yonge just below Castlefield. It was in the nabe where we grew up; North Yonge. I can bring up in my minds eye the interior of the store and the shoes my parents bought for me. Black laceups.. kids wore these for all occasions.

"I'm sure the manner of her death brought surprise and pain to her family; but I'm with you on this one. A classy exit."
QUOTE: Mustapha.

We all should be so fortunaate.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

Back