News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Has this image appeared here before?
Canada Marble Works - c.1870s
I wonder where it was located.

CanadaMarbleWorks-Torontoc1870s.jpg

Then and Now for October 24, 2012.

Then. November 24, 1955. A bit of a mystery for me today. Photo description reads: 'Moss Park Skating Rink'. 'Duke of York "old" school'. [Which was it? It looks like an old school] 'Shuter street at foot of Pembroke.'

829.jpg

Now. May 2012. Nothing there now. I consulted plinks Goad's maps of 1910. There is a tantalizing outline of what may be a school building on Shuter at the foot of Pembroke but it isn't identified by name.

830.jpg

Then. November 24, 1955. A bit of a mystery for me today. Photo description reads: 'Moss Park Skating Rink'. 'Duke of York "old" school'. [Which was it? It looks like an old school] 'Shuter street at foot of Pembroke.'

Now. May 2012. Nothing there now. I consulted plinks Goad's maps of 1910. There is a tantalizing outline of what may be a school building on Shuter at the foot of Pembroke but it isn't identified by name.

The Duke of York School (now amalgamated into Regent Park/Duke of York school on Regent) was built at 12-14 Pembroke in 1929.

This may be of interest.

News Release

October 24, 2012

Mobile and online users can now travel through 'Toronto in Time'

Available as of today, "Toronto in Time" is a free mobile app for iOS (Apple) and Android that highlights the history of Toronto through "then and now" photos, slideshows, trails and historical stories for more than 150 sites.

Through Toronto in Time, one can discover the story of the Toronto club that hosted the Rolling Stones, U2 and Marilyn Monroe; learn where soldiers of the War of 1812 lie buried; stand on the site of a 17th-century First Nations village; and much more.

Users can also meet a cast of characters that includes the inventors, artists, entrepreneurs, bank robbers, visionaries and dreamers who have enriched Toronto's history.

"Toronto in Time makes Toronto's history immediate and interactive," said Councillor Michael Thompson (Ward 37 Scarborough Centre), Chair of the City's Economic Development Committee. "It brings history alive and enables users to compare the place where they are standing with what it looked like decades ago. It is a great tool for students, visitors and Torontonians alike."

“History is at its most interesting when we understand its relevance to the present,” said Anthony Wilson-Smith, President of the Historica-Dominion Institute. “This will help anyone who uses it to see the direct link between the Toronto of yesterday and how it is still reflected today.”

Users of the app can access geolocation data to find the sites of stories closest to them marked on an easy-to-read map, filter stories by theme or neighbourhood, or follow curated walking trails. Each story includes a photo gallery or a unique then-and-now photo feature that shows the present site dissolving into its past.

Users without a mobile device can also discover all the features of Toronto in Time online at http://citiesintime.ca/toronto/. An online demonstration of how to use the mobile application can be viewed at https://vimeo.com/51236694.

This project is a partnership of the Historica-Dominion Institute, the City of Toronto's Museum Services, and Heritage Toronto.

Toronto in Time is the second app in the “Cities in Time” series. The series launched with Vancouver in Time in the fall of 2011.

Funding for this project has also been provided by the Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sports, and the Department of Canadian Heritage. "Toronto in Time" is a legacy project of Toronto's War of 1812 Bicentennial Commemoration.

A bit of a mystery for me today. Photo description reads: 'Moss Park Skating Rink'. 'Duke of York "old" school'. [Which was it? It looks like an old school]

James’ reference to “Duke of York, old school†is a bit of a head-scratcher. The building does not appear on the 1880 Goad but does appear on the 1884. It’s first mentioned in the 1882 Directory as a “skating rink,†and thereafter as “Moss Park Skating Rink,†or later as “Moss Park Recreation Centre.†In the 1880s Toronto public schools were usually named after their street.

Attachments

• 1880 moss park.jpg
    1880 moss park.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 342

829.jpg

James’ reference to “Duke of York, old school†is a bit of a head-scratcher. The building does not appear on the 1880 Goad but does appear on the 1884. It’s first mentioned in the 1882 Directory as a “skating rink,†and thereafter as “Moss Park Skating Rink,†or later as “Moss Park Recreation Centre.†In the 1880s Toronto public schools were usually named after their street.

Old school used as Recreation Centre?
This could be the back of the building in the background

s0372_ss0052_it0994.jpg

s0372_ss0052_it0656.jpg

s0372_ss0052_it0660.jpg

Back