News   Mar 28, 2024
 975     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 548     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 842     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

That one (a 55) is a "tribute" to the old TV series "Highway Patrol" starring Broderick Crawford. I remember it well... The Buicks were always the real stars in that series. (in my eyes)...:)

Thanks Hudson8 for piping up. :) Otherwise this image would have just remained one of those 'that's weird/'unknown mysteries' of daily Toronto life. I remember the opening of Highway Patrol - although I always tuned away into something else; Combat or Rat Patrol.

Interesting how the 1895 pic shows the original store on Queen (from the Simpson's catalogue 1893: http://www.toronto.ca/archives/beckernew3.htm)

simpsoncatback.jpg

Which, of course, was not rebuilt after the fire:

1908:

Simpsons_Department_Store_circa_1908.jpg

Thank you thecharioteer. I was looking at that building over the last few days but nothing twigged. I was going to look at plinks Goads maps but somehow managed to drag my feet about it.

Perhaps this view of Yonge St., S. from Richmond (1899), has not previously been seen on UT
- I found it in a 1996 issue of The Beaver Magazine.

YongeSt1899.jpg

Not 1899. Maybe a decade or so later, after Traders Bank (1906) had been built but nothing else early-skyscraperwise at Yonge/King existed yet...

Wonderful image Goldie, thanks for scanning it. A much appreciated addition to the online trove of Toronto images; 'much' because the ubiquity of Toronto Archive images means that images scanned out of old books and periodicals are always a refreshing new perspective; previously unseen. :)

I would love to get into some of the unseen parts of Traders Bank. I don't believe; altho' may be mistaken, it's ever been part of Doors Open.

Hudson8; I never tuned into Sky King either; although watched the opening hundreds of times with the plane banking away. Lifes's full of regrets. :) I watched Get Smart religiously. Can't watch it now; can't understand what the attraction was. The recent movie remake with Steve Carell... I watched a few minutes on cable.. had to turn it off.

The style and look of this store makes it seem like it belonged on that other thoroughfare of commerce in 19th century Toronto... King Street.

Then and Now for October 2, 2012.

Then. Osgoode House. NE corner of Chestnut and Queen West. 1955 photograph. I don't think that anyone mourns the loss of this old place; taken down along with the rest of this section of downtown for the New City Hall. We have so many like it still extant - old watering holes with rooms for rent upstairs still soldiering on: the Rex, the Dominion Hotel, Cameron House...

799.jpg

Now. July 2012.

800.jpg

Now and Then for October 3, 2012.

Then. First Baptist Church. NE corner University and Edward. Picture from June 1953.

801.jpg

Now. July 2012.

802.jpg

Push button switches were made with bakelite buttons, some even had mother of pearl inlays to designate "on". The switch bodies themselves were mostly ceramic. I think I still have a few in my collection. As for the pill box switches, I have a few of those, some still in use at my cottage. I also have the earlier version in brass and ceramic that turn to operate them. Like my father before me I like to collect such things and examples from different countries as well. I even have a 100 watt carbon filament light bulb. It's the size of a large thermos and still works.

What are those buttons made of?

And how about a nice Bakelite flipswitch?

What are those buttons made of?

And how about a nice Bakelite flipswitch?

Push button switches were made with bakelite buttons, some even had mother of pearl inlays to designate "on". The switch bodies themselves were mostly ceramic. I think I still have a few in my collection. As for the pill box switches, I have a few of those, some still in use at my cottage. I also have the earlier version in brass and ceramic that turn to operate them. Like my father before me I like to collect such things and examples from different countries as well. I even have a 100 watt carbon filament light bulb. It's the size of a large thermos and still works.

The joy of this old hardware was/is the sound they made. I wonder if modern replicas are manufactured?

Back