News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 813     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Didn't the electric buses continue further North to the Roe Loop? Was that still an additional fare?

The trolley buses never were extended. From link.

armour-heights-map-1958.jpg

The 1 ARMOUR HEIGHTS bus lasted until 1990 to 1992.

In 1983, the TTC noted that the ARMOUR HEIGHTS route was one of the poorest performers on the system, handling 473 passengers per day in 1982, or roughly 2.1 passengers per trip. As no service reduction could be identified which could bring the service up to the TTC’s financial standard, the route was listed as among those considered for elimination, should service changes benefitting more passengers be found elsewhere in the city. However, TTC planners noted, “the Armour Heights route functions essentially as the end section of the Nortown trolley coach and, therefore, may be expected to exhibit performance characteristics typical of route ends throughout the system.” As the route did not duplicate other existing services, it was protected, although the TTC did not feel it justified to string up trolley wires and extend Nortown trolley bus service in its place.

Didn't the electric buses continue further North to the Roe Loop? Was that still an additional fare?
In the 1960’s the northbound stop was at Glenview Ave, and the southbound stop was at Glengrove Ave. Very rarely the northbound bus would turn south at the loop, but usually carried on up Avenue Rd to Roe. Occasionally the bus driver would park at Glenview, cross the road to the loop and use the washroom.

Then. 1935.

This is the west side of Yonge; Albertus to the south, Craighurst to the north. This block is midway between Eglinton and Lawrence.

My gramps had a laundry here from 1925 to 1975 - you can see the laundry sign and 'Low Sam' in the window. The business was started by three unrelated men all with the last name of Low, hence Low Sam; Sam being the Chinese word for three. Eventually as the partners all died leaving Gramps as sole proprietor, he adopted the name Sam Low because that's what everyone called him.

Mr. Watson's bike store was taken over by Mr. Hopkins senior and then by his son Ken. Hopkins Cycle and Sports operated until about 1995, winding up where the Club Monaco is now. More than a few older bikes in the nabe with the Hopkins sticker on the frame; I still have mine.

Sam's barber neighbour to the south was Fred Lill. Mr. Lill operated from 1924 to about 1984.

The Red and White grocery was operated by Mr. and Mrs. Maslen up until about 1975. I last met Mrs. Maslen in about 1990 - she lived above the old store.

At the south end of the block was Stan Muston florist (not seen in the old picture). It's now a Second Cup. Muston's had live ducklings in the south window every Easter. At night they would be huddled under a light for heat - girls and boys would walk out around 9pm to say goodnight. My oldest considers herself fortunate to remember as Mustons closed about 1988.

The old neighbourhood is even more appealing now. In these blocks there are interesting restaurants and shops for every budget.

samlowlaundry2616yongein1935.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg
I worked at Hopkins Sport and Cycle with Ken Hopkins Jr in 1976-77. I was in school at NTCI. I’m glad it survived as long as it did. I loved the combination in the name. Nice that the building is still there. I think we occupied the former laundry frontage as well. Peter B.

I worked at Hopkins Sport and Cycle with Ken Hopkins Jr in 1976-77. I was in school at NTCI. I’m glad it survived as long as it did. I loved the combination in the name. Nice that the building is still there. I think we occupied the former laundry frontage as well. Peter B.

North Toronto water tower 1907, (100 feet high, 20 feet in diameter, 192,00 gallon capacity) Roselawn Avenue, north side, west of Avenue Road , TPL
View attachment 236598

Site today:
View attachment 236599
There was a water tower constructed in 1930. It had a large tank on top as seen in these photos from the 1930s. One from the rear of Allenby P.S., looking south-east (this rear playground no longer exists) and 2 during construction. The date and location are noted beside the photos so no doubts here. This is the tower that was removed before the communications tower went up. I'm don't believe that there was another before this.

Your photo appears to predate mine, but not by much. It looks like the same tower before the tank section was installed. If you look at the top of the second photo you can see the the cylindrical structure passes all the way to the top. You can also see the square protrusions all the way around the base in both photos. Are you sure about the 1907 date?

Allenby Public School. Photo taken of the back of the school from St. Clements Avenue in Febru...jpg
Roselawn water Tower 1930.jpg
Roselawn water Tower2 1930.jpg

Last edited:
There was a water tower constructed in 1930. This is the tower that was removed before the communications tower went up. I'm don't believe that there was another before this.

Your photo appears to predate mine, but not by much. It looks like the same tower before the tank section was installed. If you look at the top of the second photo you can see the the cylindrical structure passes all the way to the top. You can also see the square protrusions all the way around the base in both photos. Are you sure about the 1907 date?

View attachment 239775
Yes, Marmaly......it certainly appears that the original tower was altered in 1930.
I cannot confirm or deny that 1907 date.

Other than the unfortunate cornice removal and parapet reconstruction in the centre block, it's remarkable how the front elevation remains the same.

Back