News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.6K     7 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

954 King Street W, 1980s vs now.

2011823-king-west-80s-s1465_fl0058_id0071.jpg

BlogTo Image
01_954KingStreetWest_King_West_Village_Lofts_Exterior-2000.jpg

Truelofts Image

Yes, this was a time when the City thought ahead (and , to be fair, it was a new street). Think of Bloor Viaduct built to accommodate a subway, many years later. Now we are the opposite, building (or not!) long after the need is there - think QQ east streetcar!

Yes, they used to spend a nickel now to save a quarter later. Now.....the councils of the 80's and 90's should be ashamed of themselves for not building transit, but hey, no property tax increases!

Hi UT-ers. Fire [and Police] Call Box. I saw this in New York. a year ago. Such a neat antique thing, still in use. I can't remember Toronto having them but we must have. Call boxes were used when folks didn't have even a landline in every house.

DSC02612 - Copy.JPG

Hi UT-ers. Fire [and Police] Call Box. I saw this in New York. a year ago. Such a neat antique thing, still in use. I can't remember Toronto having them but we must have. Call boxes were used when folks didn't have even a landline in every house.

View attachment 229234

I am surprised these are still in use. I can see them being abused by idiots in Toronto.

Those were police communications to and from the beat officer and station. Note that they are keyed. There was a light on top of the box visible in this photo to indicate a 'call waiting'. I don't know for sure if Toronto had public call boxes or if there was a public box side on the back of this type.

1580873087962.png

Back