News   Jun 17, 2024
 151     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 206     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 344     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Crazy how much it's moved back (I know it's actually the land that's moved forward).

2011524-harbour-Commision.jpg

Attachments

• 2011524-harbour-Commision.jpg
    2011524-harbour-Commision.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,525
Goldie's recent Then and Now of Soldier's Tower at the U. of T. made me take a walk around the campus and nearby streets.

There was lots of material to do a Then and Now but today I decided to do a tongue-in-cheek Then and Now. :)

"Then". Actually last week. Huron Street. Don't know what vintage but this is a handsome bike. Never learned how to ride one of these things...

P6020612_zpsxep8eiwe.jpg

"Now". U. of T. campus. Proud co-creator of hyper hi mileage vehicle poses for a snapshot.

P6020614_zpsx3hgrpfd.jpg

Last edited:
The Toronto archives description for this pic is: "streetscape and corner 196-".

streetscape%20and%20corner%20store%20196-_zpsjykiwdux.jpg

I don't have a 'Now' as I don't know myself where this was taken but the sum total of the myriad elements in this pic caught my attention. The girl skipping rope. The sidewalk badminton game. The roof rack on the Volkswagen made of wood and judging by the colour - aluminum. The pre-recycling garbage can - we threw everything into those cans: food scraps, bottles, newspapers...

Last edited:
Then and Now. NE corner of Yonge and Gould.

Then "198-". Boy, shooting film at night was a pain in those days. The camera here was obviously on a tripod - note the streaks of light of cars passing during the exposure; and the quality compared to the Now pic taken by a digital camera doesn't even come close.

s1465_fl0019_id0057_zpsgg6rih8m.jpg

Now. June 10 2015. 10pm.

It's become an area to sit and watch the pedestrian scene go by. Wonderful stuff on this cool summer evening.

P6100628_zpsfcdsulyq.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/artandde...22/american-civil-war-photography-interactive

Last edited:
I don't have a 'Now' as I don't know myself where this was taken but the sum total of the myriad elements in this pic caught my attention. The girl skipping rope. The sidewalk badminton game. The roof rack on the Volkswagen made of wood and judging by the colour - aluminum. The pre-recycling garbage can - we threw everything into those; cans, food scraps, bottles, newspapers...

And the octagonal Mann & Martel real estate sign. Once ubiquitous.

The Toronto archives description for this pic is: "streetscape and corner 196-".

I don't have a 'Now' as I don't know myself where this was taken but the sum total of the myriad elements in this pic caught my attention. The girl skipping rope. The sidewalk badminton game. The roof rack on the Volkswagen made of wood and judging by the colour - aluminum. The pre-recycling garbage can - we threw everything into those; cans, food scraps, bottles, newspapers...

It looks very like the south west corner of Kensington and St Andrew in Kensington Market before the store built an extension onto the sidewalk but ....

I dunno; there is no SW corner of Kensington and St. Andrew.....

It reminds me of the nw corner of Major and Sussex where I grew up in the 60's, with Nellie's store on that corner.
She was pretty short and used one of those long sticks with the grippers on the end of it to get stuff off the top shelves.
No pre-packaged deli meats there either. She and her husband were maestros with the meat slicer.

I dunno; there is no SW corner of Kensington and St. Andrew.....

There is a south east corner though. From a Google Earth pic, light pole, street drain and round waterworks (?) access cover all seem to fit the picture. Large window on left of main entrance seems to have been turned into a full access large entrance. Small man door to left of this could be the deciding factor. (Can't tell from the Google pic.)

Last edited:
I am directionally challenged, south EAST!

I found this picture in a book I'd almost forgotten about - Jean Cochrane's (with photographs by Vincenzo Pietropaolo) "Kensington". It's great; really worth a look if you can find it.
This is a shot of St. Andrew and Kensington from 2000. It's not a slam-dunk as far as where the "streetscape and corner 196-" was, but it looks closer. The telephone pole on the left is there, and there's a better idea of where that small door would be. The window patterns in the buildings are very similar, though it looks like the third floor has been removed somehow. I'm not sure if that's something that gets done, but I guess anything's possible. It sure looks that way, and it lines up with the rest of the houses along the street a lot better, anyway.

Also, in the "196-" shot we're looking at the black back of a rectangular sign in the foreground. I'm pretty sure only one-way signs are shaped that way, and there's still one there today (according to Google Earth).
What do you think?

kensington & st andrew.jpg

Attachments

• kensington & st andrew.jpg
    kensington & st andrew.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 1,141
I don't think it's the same corner, unless sewers and 'maintenance access covers'/manholes have been changed.

The corner of Kensington and St Andrew has a rectangular-built-into-the-curb sewer on the Kensington side, with a round manhole cover next to the hydro pole on the St Andrew St side in both Google streetview and the 2000 photo (obviously - because - street signs!). It is also a row of four attached houses (from which the gables were removed some time after 2000).

In Mustapha's photo there are different sewers on both sides of the corner and a manhole in front of the store - not the side. And the store looks like a stand-alone building. The back of the sign in the foreground looks like a one-way sign to me as well, but the photo looks like it was taken from a balcony with a green painted railing. The building on Kensington (Essence of Life Organics) doesn't look like it ever had a balcony. But I could be wrong.

So I think it's a street in Toronto with a Golda's(?) corner store that ends at on a one way street. Should be easy to figure outo_O

Edit - is that a manhole cover in the shadows in front of the wooden hydro pole? In that case you may be right.

Are those two boys trying to steal the Volkswagen while the third acts as a look-out?

s1465_fl0098_id0008.jpg

Last edited:

Back