News   Jul 09, 2024
 34     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 454     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

That downtown summer job I had that went on into the fall/winter was at the IBM Datacentre at 36 King St. East, next door to Letros. We worked on the ground floor in the windows which showed off the then new IBM 360/70. The computer pretty well filled the ground floor, and had much less power than my BlackBerry.

Here's where MattB worked during "that downtown summer job."

Attachments

• IBM computer room.jpg
    IBM computer room.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 399
MattB's reminiscence reminded me of the photo I shot of the IBM building's windows in 1963. The photo was made from a hotel room in the King Edie.

Good grief, that's a fascinating photo on the right. Not even a suit jacket doffed.

July 5 addition.

Yonge looking NNE towards Yonge-Dundas Square.

downtowntheatreThen.jpg

DSCF0753.jpg

Our 'Downtown' theatre was modified into offices some time later...

752a.jpg

DSCF0752.jpg

The Hard Rock logo looked pretty tepid back then.. Nice photos!

Thanks! And it was a smaller sign too. The new larger one is covering up some awful nice second floor windows...

July 6 addition.

King street looking SSE from just E of Church street.

706a.jpg

DSCF0706.jpg

if you took that photo today, we might've crossed paths. i was walking king street today and stopped for a few moments to admire the glass on this building.

Mitchell's Directory of Toronto of 1864 lists 4 photographers with premises in that block of King Street. D C Butchart's portrait gallery was five doors from the corner of West Market Street. Is that the building with the big windows (message 996)?

When KPMB's King James Place was built they intended to incorporate the Pasquale Bros. front - but it was too fragile to save, apparently, so they "reproduced" it instead. I can't think of many other instances where that sort of thing was done, other with than the Windsor Arms Hotel.

I wonder if that "before" photo was taken before the 1967 collapse of part of St. Lawrence Hall?

if you took that photo today, we might've crossed paths. i was walking king street today and stopped for a few moments to admire the glass on this building.

I took it a few weeks ago. There are so many people walking around with dslrs around their necks nowadays if I wonder I haven't walked past you, androiduk, tomms, etc., without knowing it.

The giveaway that it is me is that I will be fussing with a hardcopy of the 'then' pic. :)

Mitchell's Directory of Toronto of 1864 lists 4 photographers with premises in that block of King Street. D C Butchart's portrait gallery was five doors from the corner of West Market Street. Is that the building with the big windows (message 996)?

Sorry NomoreaTorontonian, I don't know. Can any UTers help out here? I'm not sure what you mean by 'message996'?

Nice update.

Thank you CityPlaceN1!

When KPMB's King James Place was built they intended to incorporate the Pasquale Bros. front - but it was too fragile to save, apparently, so they "reproduced" it instead. I can't think of many other instances where that sort of thing was done, other with than the Windsor Arms Hotel.

I wonder if that "before" photo was taken before the 1967 collapse of part of St. Lawrence Hall?

So, It's a 'fake' facade? That's too unreal. Literally.

The University Theatre facade is a recreation. The original stood - braced - for some time - then it was demolished - and a recreation in its stead. There was some disagreement about my saying this some months back, but I remember my shock see it at the time.
I wished I had taken a picture.

'Collapse' yes, they did a nice job putting it back together. I assume they used the original bricks.

July 7 addition.

Carlton theatre. N side of Carlton, E of Yonge.

748a.jpg

DSCF0748.jpg

Our 'Downtown' theatre was modified into offices some time later...

Fascinating, I never knew the Downtown was modified for retail/office, I was sure I was told that it had been demolished. When I now recall the interior spaces (Baskin Robbins, the multi-level Classic Bookstore (later Lick's by the mid '80's) etc. it now makes sense.

Fascinating, I never knew the Downtown was modified for retail/office, I was sure I was told that it had been demolished. When I now recall the interior spaces (Baskin Robbins, the multi-level Classic Bookstore (later Lick's by the mid '80's) etc. it now makes sense.

A few blocks north; NE corner of Gerrard and Yonge to be exact, was the Coronet. Still the original building. Mentioned in your Yonge street thread, I believe.

Good comparison Toronto pics!

Mustapha: Those older pics you posted on July 4&5th-are they dated?
They are quite interesting...LI MIKE

Back