News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

More importantly, has anybody tried the food lately?

I’ve eaten there a couple of times recently. The food was good but the service was slooooow. Inside, it’s a bit like a photo gallery; there are several large and interesting photographs on the walls from the Port Authority archives, including some much better images of the bank.

I’ve eaten there a couple of times recently. The food was good but the service was slooooow. Inside, it’s a bit like a photo gallery; there are several large and interesting photographs on the walls from the Port Authority archives, including some much better images of the bank.

And Thank You for the Then picture. :)

Then and Now for August 23.

Then. September 14, 1929. Bay Street south approach.

735.jpg

Now. April 2012. We're looking N on Bay towards the 'subway'.. the Air Canada Centre (which retained the facade of the former Toronto Postal Delivery Building) is on the left.

736.jpg

I note that PhotoBucket is in the news headlines today because something has gone awry.
And most, if not all, of my photos are no longer available.
Maybe this will prompt my sign-0ff!

UPDATE - 11 HOURS LATER:
Well, I'm glad that problem cleared-up quickly.
It appears that bits & bytes will never be 'set-in-concrete.'

Last edited:
"September 14, 1929. Bay Street south approach."
QUOTE Mustapha.

For those of who are unaware, the water towers or roof-top tanks on many downtown buildings, were for fire service; no pump required.
(Of course they were! - lol.)

Regards,
J T

I imagine the buildings were 'overbuilt' to take the weight of those tanks, no?

Then and Now for August 24.

Then. 'Dec. 28, 1931. Leaside'. This of course, is the North Toronto Sewage Treatment Plant, built in 1929.

739.jpg

Now. April 2012.

740.jpg

Heya, it's the weekend, and time for some only-peripherally-related to Then and Now stuff.

UTer 'Eddy' has kindly sent me these Osgoode Hall interior pictures taken during a tour he took which he highly recommends.

"Hi Jeff,

You might want to let the Forum gang know that Osgoode Hall is conducting free guided 60 min tours of the building.
The building outside is magnificent but you should see some of the structures inside! I have included some pictures for posting.
The stained glass skylight is from Queen Victoria's reign (hence the VR) and the library has got to be seen in person.
The free tours end this month and run from 1:15 pm weekdays. You gather inside at the main hall where the WW2 memorial statue is located.

Best regards

Eddy"

P8170383.jpg

P8170382.jpg

P8170380.jpg

P8170376.jpg

Nicely done pictures, Eddy. :)

Thanks!

...Toronto's Fire Chief cruised around town in a 2 door version back in the day.

tfd64meteor.jpg

Heya Hudson8, this is a modern day TF Service automobile. It was parked near Ryerson U awhile back. Try not to get too demoralized. At least someone was thinking of the public purse. :)

R1238701.jpg

Thanks. I've been patronizing the Keating Channel pub. Not for the architecture, or the food, but for the dockside seating.

Heya Hudson8, this is a modern day TF Service automobile. It was parked near Ryerson U awhile back. Try not to get too demoralized. At least someone was thinking of the public purse. :)

R1238701.jpg

Nice find Mustapha...seems the quality of the Departments rides is on a steady decline...In the 20's , no less than a Buick Roadster !

buick.jpg

"I imagine the buildings were 'overbuilt' to take the weight of those tanks, no? "
QUOTE Mustapha.

The only Fire Protection Water Tank that we ever had was the one at 68 - 70 Broadview Avenue. It was at the top of the east staircase, later

being moved to it's present empty location atop the building's south east extention. I had a pic taken of it with the demo torch-cutter a I standing

on it's surrounding walkway but , but, but, no one at the office can find it now.

Massey - (Harris) Ferguson had a huge in - ground tank just south of King Street at Crawfofd, it being the tender of a Corliss Steam Engine Fire Pump.

The E W Gillett Co (Magic Baking Powder) had a 75,000 Gal in - ground tank below what is now The Roastery Coffee Shop, with the steam

driven pump located in it's more southerly building.

The demise of the water tanks were due to a consistent and large volume of water being made available throughout the city mains, they serving

for both domestic & Fire Protection.

FWIW, the above E W Gillett Plant was the only building (in this city?) that not only had a 7" main shut off valve, but also no Fire System pump - up! (EVER)

Regards,
J T

JT... JT... thank you. :)

Back