News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Mustapha, I'm a long time lurker and have spent many hours here fascinated by the great Then and Nows. This one in particular caught my eye because I spend a lot of time in the building on the right. Is it possible that the "then" was later than 1954? The same site is also shown in Anna's post, reposted by jaborandi yesterday in post #9485, but in that picture, dated 1960, the building that must have pre-dated the one in your post is still standing.

Hello teridactyl. Welcome. I think we can agree now in this thread that the 1980's era Key Largo postcard fooled me with it's 1950s 'style' (and that old car as a 'prop').

Thanks to you, adma, Anna, the lemur and others I'm going to have to be real careful not to just repeat sources. :(

Hello teridactyl. Welcome. I think we can agree now in this thread that the 1980's era Key Largo postcard fooled me with it's 1950s 'style' (and that old car as a 'prop').

Thanks to you, adma, Anna, the lemur and others I'm going to have to be real careful not to just repeat sources. :(

Thanks. Somehow I completely missed all the other posts about it until after my own post. Hence the quick deletion...but not quick enough!

Thanks. Somehow I completely missed all the other posts about it until after my own post. Hence the quick deletion...but not quick enough!

Thank you. No problem. :) Sometimes there is a lot of text here... folks are in a hurry and just want to see the pictures. I'm guilty of that myself when I see Then and Nows on other websites that are in error but I don't say anything. I realize I should pipe up sometimes. It's cool to hear from longtime lurkers; I don't know why, it just is.

Heya everyone.

I'm not doing a Then and Now in this thread for tomorrow.

If you need a Then and Now fix this evening/tomorrow, go over to thecharioteer's cracking great thread. I've made a contribution to it.

I didn't ask him before I contributed so go check it out. There could be a real 'dust-up'. I hear he's not a man to be crossed. :)

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...-Commemorates-the-Death-of-Edward-VII-in-1910

Mustapha, I'm a long time lurker and have spent many hours here fascinated by the great Then and Nows. This one in particular caught my eye because I spend a lot of time in the building on the right. Is it possible that the "then" was later than 1954? The same site is also shown in Anna's post, reposted by jaborandi yesterday in post #9485, but in that picture, dated 1960, the building that must have pre-dated the one in your post is still standing.

So teridactyl, you must know that the credits are by the window and the debits are by the door.;)

Hey adma and the lemur, the source of the card and the date associated was an online postcard seller. I'd like to know too as I now realize the tree and it's style of situation is not anything I've seen in 1950s Toronto pictures. The palm tree in the back of the restaurant may be a giveaway to the amount of simulation going on. The car of course fooled me from the start.

I was actually thinking it was the building that seemed more recent than the 1950s, not the rest of the image. The palm tree could have been a plastic one on a rooftop patio.

Then and Now for August 14.

Then. 'Lineup for hosiery.' 1946. Yonge st. W side just below Bloor. That's the Uptown Theatre of course.

727photo-toronto-uptown-theatre-yonge-street-line-up-for-hosiery-other-signs-1946.jpg

Now. May 2012. Our Hosiery store is today now a 'Tea' business.

728.jpg

It would be more 1959/60-ish (that's a '59 Ford behind the subway entrance; plus, what I presume is the hoarding for Peter Dickinson's Prudential on the right)

At what point did Child's restaurants fold, I wonder?

Have to agree, as the car behind the 59 Ford is an Austin Healey Sprite MK1 built from 58 onwards (not biased at all on that front)...

Then and Now for August 15.

Then. 1047 Yonge Street. 'Office Building of Resources Engineering of Canada Ltd. Consulting Engineers.' c1969.

7191969OfficebuildingofResourcesEngineeringofCanadaLtdConsultingEngineers1047YongeStreetatcornerofRoxboroughAvenueEast.jpg

Now. May 2012. It's a condo of, I'm guessing, early 90s vintage.

720.jpg

Then and Now for August 15.

Then. 1047 Yonge Street. 'Office Building of Resources Engineering of Canada Ltd. Consulting Engineers.' c1969.

Now. May 2012. It's a condo of, I'm guessing, early 90s vintage.

720.jpg

It was built within the last 10 years. I believe Loblaws/Weston had "food laboratories" or something in the old building and moved out probably when their new building in Brampton was completed. I always imagined Dave Nichol surrounded by people in lab coats in there testing out his President's Choice recipes or something.

Here's a picture of how they jacked up the houses (a few doors to the north). I did that job once - just raising one-storey frame houses out of the mud with car jacks and 2x10s. Not much fun!

s0372_ss0003_it0580.jpg

Back