News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 781     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I expect only Ontario taxpayers (and liquor vendors) could afford such a renovation!

I expect only Ontario taxpayers (and liquor vendors) could afford such a renovation!
The renovation was actually done by Paul Oberman and Woodcliffe Properties who own the block and who have a long-term lease with the LCBO (thus guaranteeing them a tenant). Oberman, who died in a plane crash in 2011, also restored the North Toronto Train Station at Summerhill (also with the help of a multi-year LCBO lease.)

Then and Now for July 3.

Then. Queen and Yonge. 1980s. Looking NE along Queen. Yonge is behind the photographer. Note of the 'Budget Optical' building. Note the stone reliefs on the walls. Keep reading. :)

649McMannpic.jpg

Now. March 2012.

Plaque below as found in NE entrance to Queen subway station.

650a.jpg

Surviving relief panels as found displayed in same location.

651.jpg

652.jpg

653.jpg

654.jpg

650.jpg

Last edited:
So that's where those panels are doing there! Great find.

Shame about the typesetting on the plaque though - nasty straight apostrophes (degree signs) and an extraneous space after a hyphen ...

"Shame about the typesetting on the plaque though "
QUOTE the lemur.

As well as the ferociously ferrous screws & drive pins which fix to to the wall.
(LOL)

After PATTERSON & HEWARD bit the dust, signage in Toronto was never the same.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
No argument there, and yet there was something about that little ritual of when to pull out the choke, how much and when to push it back in ... and of course the smell of gas filling the car whenever you flooded the engine :)

My husband and I have recently acquired a '68 Mustang. It needed a new carb, which apparently is not a big deal if you have the V6 or V8. Ours is a straight 6, which are increasingly rare (this was the entry-level 'Stang.) When we picked it up from the shop, they reminded us of how to start a car with a choke, which my husband had never done--but I had, with my very first car, an '80 Firebird. It did make me feel like I was 18 again.....

76 Fury here. Not mine, it was the family car.

My parents had a series of Oldsmobuicks in the 70s. About 1975 they traded in the Olds 98 for a '72 Cadillac Eldorado. The term "land yacht" truly applied to this car. It was silver with red leather seats. And my mum (who was 5'5" and weighed about 110) would drive this thing, the big bench seat in the front pulled all the way up. Good times.

So that's where those panels are doing there! Great find.

Shame about the typesetting on the plaque though - nasty straight apostrophes (degree signs) and an extraneous space after a hyphen ...

A primate after my own heart! If I were a superhero, I would be The Hyphenator.

"Shame about the typesetting on the plaque though "
QUOTE the lemur.

As well as the ferociously ferrous screws & drive pins which fix to to the wall.
(LOL)

Regards,
J T

I was at the local Canadian Tire. You know those little clear plastic boxes of an assortment of screws that you can buy? - they are CAST, not machined. Never mind that they are made from what an older generation called 'pot metal' and that the boxes self destruct spilling screws all over your tool box...

Dickson Hardware on Avenue Road still sells screws by the piece. Quality stuff too.

My parents had a series of Oldsmobuicks in the 70s. About 1975 they traded in the Olds 98 for a '72 Cadillac Eldorado. The term "land yacht" truly applied to this car. It was silver with red leather seats. And my mum (who was 5'5" and weighed about 110) would drive this thing, the big bench seat in the front pulled all the way up. Good times.

The front bench seat on cars back in the day meant that three could be carried in the front. With three in the back for a total of six, this meant near van carrying [most modern day vans seat seven] capacity. So, we haven't made really that much automotive progress.

Last edited:
"they are CAST, not machined"
QUOTE Mustapha.

I would say that they are of "hot formed" steel, rather than cast both of which can become a problem.

SOLUTION:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/cool/002027-2008-e.html

BTW, most "screws", Machine & other types, are "roll-formed" previous to being "headed".

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

Back